Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:49:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie looking to mine!  (Read 1062 times)
zombieburger (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:10:05 AM

Okay, so, for the whole week I've been into Bitcoin, I have studied it for at least 10 hours cumulatively. And I have decided that I really want to mine. So I have a few questions.

1. I know that the difficulty will be going up once Cointerra produces its machines. But should I pre-order a 2TH/s machine or get into now?
2. If you think I should get into it ASAP, then should I just buy 300 USB ASIC miners or should I buy something else available right now?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dawo5010

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 05:52:04 AM

Okay, so, for the whole week I've been into Bitcoin, I have studied it for at least 10 hours cumulatively. And I have decided that I really want to mine. So I have a few questions.

1. I know that the difficulty will be going up once Cointerra produces its machines. But should I pre-order a 2TH/s machine or get into now?
2. If you think I should get into it ASAP, then should I just buy 300 USB ASIC miners or should I buy something else available right now?

IMO neither is really an answer. If you get into it now, the only decent miner you can get is pretty much the Block Erupter Blade, of which if you get hold of the old models, can hash at 13GH/s, otherwise 10.7GH/s for the new models. They don't have a particularly spectacular GH/$ nor GH/W as compared to the CoinTerra but they are an option if you must start now. It is worth noting though that they might not ROI, due to their relatively high cost per GH.

For the CoinTerra, no one can really predict. It definitely is much cheaper in terms of GH/$ and GH/W but I personally suspect that it won't necessarily ROI, or rather, maybe just barely break even. No one can predict bitcoin difficulty sadly, and it might really hit the parabolic of an e^x curve at that point of time, making the CoinTerra useless. Of course this is just my speculation and personal thoughts but it is possible that such a scenario might play out.

Since you really want to mine, I suggest you do it on more of a 'for fun' basis as compared to 'for profit'. The latter mightn't work out at all.
zombieburger (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 06:12:23 AM

Okay, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:47:05 AM

Better investment (in my view) is buying bitcoin and holding it for the next 6 months at least.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:55:22 AM

If mining would be likely to yield bigger returns than the price of the machines, most asic providers wouldnt sell their golden egg laying chicken, instead they would mine themselves. Or if they are smart, do both and screw their customers twice.

What many people dont grasp is that the variable production cost of these mining chips is on the order of $10-$20 a piece for the bigger 28nm ones. They are selling them now for $1000-$2000 or more. Until demand will dry up (due to the difficulty increase), and then those asic companies  just drop their prices and will keep dropping them, which will cause D to keep increasing exponentially for the foreseeable future, rendering those early asics useless and unprofitable. This will only stop once mining profitability crosses over with variable production cost, and my best estimate is that wont happen with 28nm chips before we reach somewhere around 1 exahash:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=286126.msg3143855#msg3143855

Now you may get lucky by betting on the right horse and getting your hardware soon and while most of the competitors stumble, but overall miners will bleed lots of money as these asic companies are just auctioning off their risk to the highest bidders (/idiots). Dont get involved for profit, but by all means, if you are curious, put an old GPU or one of those USB mining sticks at work. Just dont expect a ROI, you stand far better chances winning on satoshi dice.
zeta1

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:27:16 AM

Good luck mining! Wouldn't try the USB miners though.
zombieburger (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:47:37 PM

Better investment (in my view) is buying bitcoin and holding it for the next 6 months at least.

Thanks, I'll consider that.

If mining would be likely to yield bigger returns than the price of the machines, most asic providers wouldnt sell their golden egg laying chicken, instead they would mine themselves. Or if they are smart, do both and screw their customers twice.

What many people dont grasp is that the variable production cost of these mining chips is on the order of $10-$20 a piece for the bigger 28nm ones. They are selling them now for $1000-$2000 or more. Until demand will dry up (due to the difficulty increase), and then those asic companies  just drop their prices and will keep dropping them, which will cause D to keep increasing exponentially for the foreseeable future, rendering those early asics useless and unprofitable. This will only stop once mining profitability crosses over with variable production cost, and my best estimate is that wont happen with 28nm chips before we reach somewhere around 1 exahash:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=286126.msg3143855#msg3143855

Now you may get lucky by betting on the right horse and getting your hardware soon and while most of the competitors stumble, but overall miners will bleed lots of money as these asic companies are just auctioning off their risk to the highest bidders (/idiots). Dont get involved for profit, but by all means, if you are curious, put an old GPU or one of those USB mining sticks at work. Just dont expect a ROI, you stand far better chances winning on satoshi dice.

That's kinda heartbreaking to me, but I see what you are saying. I am a big profit kinda guy though. I would also like to spread the word of Bitcoin. Anyway I could make something with those ideals work?
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:50:04 PM

This. You will most likely make less (or lose more in case Bitcoin price tanks) if you buy into mining.
mobile

Activity: 400

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:23:21 PM

In regards to mining, If you haven't already, check out these links to get an idea of ROI

http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/
or
http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

I recently bought a cheap USB Block Erupter full knowing that I would not see ROI for some time. But thats not why I bought it. There is an element of learning & geeky fun involved in mining so you have to decide.

If you want to increase your BTC holdings, I would suggest in investing in securities. http://btct.co is a good exchange. Check out the High's and the Low's. If your savy, then your the guy that is buying low and selling high. Im glad to hear that your doing a lot of research because this is a vital aspect when investing your hard earned & valuable BTC with expectations to not only see ROI but also profit  Grin  Cheers, have fun!

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:47:57 PM

That's kinda heartbreaking to me, but I see what you are saying. I am a big profit kinda guy though. I would also like to spread the word of Bitcoin. Anyway I could make something with those ideals work?

If I knew of a sure fire way to make bitcoins from bitcoins, Id be doing it, rather than telling you about it. Obviously there isnt one (well, afaik, or at least not a legal/ethical one). All I know and you should know is that anything promising more bitcoins from bitcoins is either a mining "opportunity" (not) or a HYIP scam.

Just holding bitcoins has the potential to yield very large profits over time, thats about as good as it gets now. Or well, make a better MtGox than MtGox, you'd be doing everyone in bitcoin world a favor and it could yield you a small fortune. Of course it wont be cheap or easy.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:29:14 PM

Based on my experience you should consider mining alt currencies for fun and profit. Once digital currencies reach critical mass there are going to be several major players. Bitcoin is already like a blue chip whereas if you can pick the next major winner your reward potential is exponentially greater.

I think that this is the right answer, start by mining an alt currency so that you know how the software works and you know the technical details.  Then, if you're ready to put money on the line, buy your rig and have at it.
mobile

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:32:00 PM

I think that this is the right answer, start by mining an alt currency so that you know how the software works and you know the technical details.  Then, if you're ready to put money on the line, buy your rig and have at it.

+1 I concur especially if you jump on top of a newly released alt coin before it makes its way to an exchange such as https://www.cryptsy.com/

makebitcoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:13:46 PM

The best option is buying BTC, researching other crypto-currencies and looking for other alternatives. Some day someone will creating something new that will replace Bitcoin.
mobile

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:23:53 PM

The best option is buying BTC, researching other crypto-currencies and looking for other alternatives. Some day someone will creating something new that will replace Bitcoin.

True. There is always Litecoin. Although I am a huge fan and advocate for LTC. But the thing it has up on BTC is the faster confirmation times. Now this is a massive perk if your a merchant accepting BTCbut still does not solve the distant but future Transaction Fee Model problem. And then there is Ripple. Dare I mention Ripple (XRP) on this forum  Undecided https://ripple.com/ but still Ripple is not like a sha-256 or script currency but has an interesting model. Maybe a model for a future currency that borrows the same idea.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:10:05 AM

Don't pre-order anything. That's all I can say.  Wink
mobile

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:14:35 AM

Don't pre-order anything. That's all I can say.  Wink

Isnt that the unfortunate truth  Sad
And then there is the fact that if you buy a rig that was actually shipped to some one (either here, bitmit or ebay)your going to be paying a massive markup. This is an Arms Race and there is profit to be made but the big guns are the ones that are capitalizing on this race. Takes money to make money as they say.

ranger1320

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:50:48 AM

For the sake of learning about mining, GPU still works great for plenty of SCRYPT alt coins, like litecoin for example.  GPU are also far more multipurpose when considering value of hardware investment for mining.  Sure all these ASIC's are nice and shiny and pretty (and low wattage!), but they are application-specific, and when that application surpasses the capacity of the hardware (difficulty rises too high), the value of that hardware drops.  Where-as, even if BTC crashed to $0 tomorrow, GPU would still have value and purpose.

For the sake of safety of investment, I'd have to agree with the suggestion to just buy some BTC and hold it for when its a profitable time to sell.  I agree with this suggestion because I've personally invested into hardware right before a massive Bitcoin price rise and I've been kicking my own ass since.

I remember going "well I can build a GPU mining rig or I can buy BTC @ $11 each... I'll build a rig!"

-facepalm-

Oh and like someone else mentioned, def DON'T pre-order anything.

Best of luck to you!
Bocarte

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 05:45:02 AM

BEST WAY IS USE:

ANOTHER WAY:

cryptojunkie

Activity: 1

View Profile
    September 15, 2013, 11:12:54 AM

I'm also new to the world of bitcoin (1st post here!).

I'll tell you a few things I have learned about mining so far.
    1- preordering as an individual is a waste of time
    2- mining btc today as an individual (without large capital investment) is NOT profitable
    3- just because its not profitable today, doesnt mean it's not worth doing Wink
    4- know your mining objectives. Are you looking to make money daily? Hold for the future? Or just be geeky and have fun
    5- determine your mining environment (home based, server farm, collective etc). This determines your equipment needs
    6- look at the scrypt alt currencies, especially new ones that can be traded up to litecoin

Good luck with the mining!
    niktitan132
    Legendary

Activity: 1036
    Merit: 1000

View Profile
    September 15, 2013, 11:24:24 AM

The best way to mine is to deposit any amount of bitcoins in PYRAMINING and have a lot of referalls.
    One GH/s cost only  0.47 BTC (before 0.71 BTC).They are paying when you have rewarded 0.1 BTC.
    Register from the links here:
    http://pyramining.com/referral/p38xcyrts    2013-08-31 19:19:18 UTC    still active
    http://pyramining.com/referral/q38bszdxh 2013-08-31 19:19:18 UTC    still active
    Pages: [1]
      Print  

Jump to: