Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:36:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Throw us a bone  (Read 1670 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 01:45:19 PM

What types of apps/clients are being developed? We need POS, security, repair/recovery, backup, mobile to mobile, mobile to pc, and some unconventional financial tools. The open-sourced tools that have been released so far give a glimpse of the potential. Can we have a hint of what is next?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Romoku

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:27:57 PM

What types of apps/clients are being developed? We need POS, security, repair/recovery, backup, mobile to mobile, mobile to pc, and some unconventional financial tools. The open-sourced tools that have been released so far give a glimpse of the potential. Can we have a hint of what is next?

Open Transactions solves all of these.

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:00:35 PM

I hope so, but I don't see any apps announced on that wiki. Best of luck with your development venture and I look forward to those announcements.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
The_JMiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 07:48:51 PM

Agreed until something is click & pay and not complicated like it is now it will never go mainstreams. I work customer service sadly most people are complete morons that do not even know what a web browser is so bitcoin definitely needs to be dumbed down a bit.

RogerR

Activity: 102

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 08:25:51 PM

What would happen if bitcoin clients were to use patented technologies, e.g. some simple form of click-and-pay that was protected by Paypal or so? Could there even be any form of judicial retaliation against an open-source, peer-to-peer network??
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 08:41:21 PM

What would happen if bitcoin clients were to use patented technologies, e.g. some simple form of click-and-pay that was protected by Paypal or so? Could there even be any form of judicial retaliation against an open-source, peer-to-peer network??
If such a patent requires a service like Paypal, then the patent would protect the client's patent holder from someone using Paypal or other similar centralized service if it infringed on the patent itself. This sounds like some sort of escrow. I'm not sure how that would be very useful to a bitcoin economy, but it may make an interesting device until bitcoin clients themselves mature.

RogerR

Activity: 102

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 09:24:21 PM

If such a patent requires a service like Paypal, then the patent would protect the client's patent holder from someone using Paypal or other similar centralized service if it infringed on the patent itself. This sounds like some sort of escrow. I'm not sure how that would be very useful to a bitcoin economy, but it may make an interesting device until bitcoin clients themselves mature.

I'm not quite sure if this attempted to answer my question as to what could anybody do to stop an open source peer-to-peer network from using a certain patented technology (e.g. easy Nana/Popop plug-and-play, drop-and-drag transaction tools) for its client? I mean, who would there be to sue?
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:28:10 AM

I'm not quite sure if this attempted to answer my question as to what could anybody do to stop an open source peer-to-peer network from using a certain patented technology (e.g. easy Nana/Popop plug-and-play, drop-and-drag transaction tools) for its client? I mean, who would there be to sue?
Who would there be to sue? Indeed. I think it just goes to show how inane "the rule of law" can get when we throw out common-sense. Open-source projects via instant global communication is going to change how we think about civilization in many ways.

fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 02:36:54 AM

I hope so, but I don't see any apps announced on that wiki. Best of luck with your development venture and I look forward to those announcements.

Open-Transactions is my project.

I have my hands full with the library... (think of it like OpenSSL, except for financial cryptography.) So if you're waiting for me to write all the apps, too, you might be waiting a long time...

Anyone who needs help getting it built, or using the API, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get you up and running.

Would like a real command line utility, a firefox plugin, chrome plugin, android wallet, and some other pieces.

(Hey, you can code to my easy API, or you can duplicate my effort and re-write OT, but there's no avoiding the financial crypto that must be used to accomplish the things you want to accomplish.)

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 02:56:02 AM

Last time I looked at Open Transactons it said the size of keys it uses is too small for real use.

So I guess first thing everyone is waiting for is the right size to let them use it for real?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 06:10:06 AM

Last time I looked at Open Transactons it said the size of keys it uses is too small for real use.

So I guess first thing everyone is waiting for is the right size to let them use it for real?

-MarkM-

The current cash algorithm is Lucre, which uses Sha-1.  I will probably add Chaum this year, depending on demand.

The current keysize for Nyms is 1024 bits. I'll probably increase this to 4096 sometime this year, depending on demand.

I assume people will be testing for a while before going into production so... there is time to do such things.

(Usually my focus is directed first towards the needs of those who are actually developing using OT, since they are the ones asking me for things.)

--------------------

By the way, just because I am being extra-cautious about testing, security, code scans, key sizes, etc, doesn't mean that the typical bitcoin website today is somehow a paragon of security. I'm just honest about it. The whole open source community should kicking the tires on this sort of project. After all, people will be using it to store and transport their money.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 06:46:43 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2011, 07:06:39 AM by markm

Yeah but if all the accounts game players set up are going to be trashed when the real hashes etc come in, they wont like that. Gamers are fine for testing stuff but not if you plan to deliberately pull the rug out from under them after the testing is complete. They like the test system to survive as the working system, not to trash all their work and start over as the real system.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:01:16 AM

Open transaction and bitcoins are the two coolest thing to ever happened in the economic history.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: