Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:33:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Btc question  (Read 268 times)
Cryptoking101 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:41:14 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2018, 10:36:09 PM by Cryptoking101

Ok so ive got a trader and works with a brokerage company, he has my info to get into my blockchain n I guess passed it on to the brokerage. They logged in and put the money in my blockchain somehow. When look at the transactions and the btc address it says watch only. He tells me I need to send up to 1 btc🤔🤦‍♂️ into this account from another wallet so that the transactions/money they put in can be activated/ retrieve the private key( so he says🤔)
I didn?t n don?t plan on going forward with him

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 07:43:42 PM

I have a payment due into my Blockchain wallet, however, I have been advised that I need to make a payment to the sender in order to release my funds.  I gave the sender my normal blockchain wallet so I don't understand why I need to make a payment to release the incoming payment.  I have looked on the blockchain & can see the incoming btc.   The trader has access to my blockchain btw. Oh and also the tranactions say watch only Any help/advice would be appreciated, thank you.
If the sender is asking you to send him money so that he can send you money, then you are being scammed.

If you has access to your blockchain.info wallet, then he can take all of your coins.

I think you are being scammed.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 07:56:03 PM

Im not sure if i understand you right..
But as far as i understand your post.. its basically this:

I have looked on the blockchain & can see the incoming btc.

What do you mean?
Do you mean he sent the transaction and you can see it in a block explorer?

I would definetely advise to create a new wallet and move your funds to your new wallet as soon as possible!

Reminder:
Never give anyone access to your blockchain.info account.
Never send anyone your private keys / wallet files.
Never send "money first, to receive money back" - Thats a scam. And to be honestly, a very bad one.

Everyone who has access to your private keys has full control over your funds.

Cryptoking101 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:32:15 PM

Im not sure if i understand you right..
But as far as i understand your post.. its basically this:

I have looked on the blockchain & can see the incoming btc.

What do you mean?
Do you mean he sent the transaction and you can see it in a block explorer?

I would definetely advise to create a new wallet and move your funds to your new wallet as soon as possible!

Reminder:
Never give anyone access to your blockchain.info account.
Never send anyone your private keys / wallet files.
Never send "money first, to receive money back" - Thats a scam. And to be honestly, a very bad one.

Everyone who has access to your private keys has full control over your funds.

Ok so he's a trader and works with a brokerage company, he has my info to get into my blockchain n I guess passed it on to the brokerage. They logged in and put the money in my blockchain somehow. When look at the transactions and the btc address it says watch only. He tells me I need to send up to 1 btc🤔🤦‍♂️ into this account from another wallet so that the transactions/money they put in can be activated/ retrieve the private key( so he says🤔)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:20:10 PM

Ok so he's a trader and works with a brokerage company,

Are you sure?

What company?

he has my info to get into my blockchain

A real trader with a real brokerage would not need (OR ASK FOR) the info to get into YOUR blockchain.info account.

There is NO VALID REASON for him to have that.

n I guess passed it on to the brokerage.

He shouldn't have it, and he shouldn't give it to anyone else.

They logged in and put the money in my blockchain somehow.

NOPE.

That's not how bitcoin works.

If they want to send you bitcoins, they do NOT need to log in to YOUR account.  They need to log into THEIR account and then send a transaction from THEIR account to you.

When look at the transactions and the btc address it says watch only.

If it says "watch only", that means that they DID NOT send you ANY bitcoins.

Instead, they sent bitcoins to THEMSELVES, and then modified your wallet so that you can SEE the bitcoins but you can't access them (because they are NOT in your account).

He tells me I need to send up to 1 btc🤔🤦‍♂️ into this account from another wallet so that the transactions/money they put in can be activated/ retrieve the private key( so he says🤔)

And since he can log into this account, then as soon as you send the 1 BTC, he can take the bitcoin and disappear.  You will have nothing.

That's a smart idea.
Cryptoking101 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:55:41 PM

Are you sure?

What company?

A real trader with a real brokerage would not need (OR ASK FOR) the info to get into YOUR blockchain.info account.

NOPE.

If they want to send you bitcoins, they do NOT need to log in to YOUR account.  They need to log into THEIR account and then send a transaction from THEIR account to you.

Instead, they sent bitcoins to THEMSELVES, and then modified your wallet so that you can SEE the bitcoins but you can't access them (because they are NOT in your account).

He tells me I need to send up to 1 btc🤔🤦‍♂️ into this account from another wallet so that the transactions/money they put in can be activated/ retrieve the private key( so he says🤔)

And since he can log into this account, then as soon as you send the 1 BTC, he can take the bitcoin and disappear.  You will have nothing.

That's a smart idea.

Ye that sounds just about right what your saying and I believe that Thx and most of it ecspecially the activating it is trash   The money never has to be activated once it’s sent it’s yours done deal
Cryptoking101 (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 12:57:25 AM

Are you sure?

What company?

NOPE.

That's a smart idea.

Ye that sounds just about right what your saying and I believe that Thx and most of it ecspecially the activating it is trash   The money never has to be activated once it’s sent it’s yours done deal

Now I just want a way to let him know I’m up to his schemes
aliceayag

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:29:29 AM

I have a payment due into my Blockchain wallet, however, I have been advised that I need to make a payment to the sender in order to release my funds.  I gave the sender my normal blockchain wallet so I don't understand why I need to make a payment to release the incoming payment.  I have looked on the blockchain & can see the incoming btc.   The trader has access to my blockchain btw. Oh and also the tranactions say watch only Any help/advice would be appreciated, thank you.
If the sender is asking you to send him money so that he can send you money, then you are being scammed.

If you has access to your blockchain.info wallet, then he can take all of your coins.

i agree with that, you don't have to give others an access to your personal account ,
NITCoinOfficial

Activity: 28
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:05:36 AM

Yes, sounds like a scam. There is no need for you to give access to your blockchain account to anyone if you are working with a broker. There are reputable cryptocurrency platforms that will let you trade without a broker, why would you want one? If an address is watch-only, you cannot use its funds, because you do not have access to them. If you met this person in real life, make a contract, list the terms, have them sign it and specify the wallet address they will use for you. Good luck with your trades.
vintages

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:18:29 AM

I may not be perfect with bitcoin technical issues but I think that you may have been blocked out from assessing your account more reason why you may be seeing the 'watch only' and why would you even give them/ he your login in details. And again, he is asking you to send another 1btc. I think the guy knows that you know nothing about BTC and he used the opportunity to scam you. Just know that when next you want someone to send you some bitcoin, you should only give them a bitcoin address not your login details
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:00:56 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2018, 02:12:03 PM by warningsigns
Merited by Foxpup (6), achow101 (3), LoyceV (1)

It's a scam. Let me show you how they intend to dupe you:

1. They convince you to hand over your Blockchain wallet's login credentials. With that information, they access your account and click on the settings tab:

2. Within the settings tab, they click on addresses:

followed by + import bitcoin address:

3. A pop up box appears, prompting for a public address or a private key:

In this example, let's use the dormant address 14WWrJMGPo43mAoLXoH53pREAEUAFFW66T

After pasting this address in the box and clicking on the light blue import button, you are prompted to confirm the import process:

Notice the extremely believable balance:

If you verify the balance, it does exist:

https://blockchain.info/address/14WWrJMGPo43mAoLXoH53pREAEUAFFW66T

A scammer who, for example, offers Skype video proof can use this as evidence of having bitcoins. If you are not aware of the watchlist feature, you might be convinced and if you are one of the gullible ones, might even proceed with paying first, thinking along the lines of Hey this guy has millions so he can't be a scammer?! Let me quickly send him that 1 BTC!

Do not fall for this scam. Ask for signed proof of bitcoin ownership.

OP, don't be scammed. Think! Why would they put money on your account and risk losing it, given it's YOUR account and not theirs? Go ahead and follow the above steps. Stopping scams is most effective when you understand how these thieves do it.

Cryptoking101 (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:36:24 AM

It's a scam. Let me show you how they intend to dupe you:

1. They convince you to hand over your Blockchain wallet's login credentials. With that information, they access your account and click on the settings tab:

https://i.imgur.com/JT7bMkl.png

2. Within the settings tab, they click on addresses:

https://i.imgur.com/q5Ymvre.png

followed by + import bitcoin address:

https://i.imgur.com/ihR3clc.png

3. A pop up box appears, prompting for a public address or a private key:

https://i.imgur.com/IvNt8Dm.png

In this example, let's use the dormant address 14WWrJMGPo43mAoLXoH53pREAEUAFFW66T

After pasting this address in the box and clicking on the light blue import button, you are prompted to confirm the import process:

https://i.imgur.com/mB23x1a.png

https://i.imgur.com/oeNwECf.png

Notice the extremely believable balance:

https://i.imgur.com/M7pZdwn.png

If you verify the balance, it does exist:

https://blockchain.info/address/14WWrJMGPo43mAoLXoH53pREAEUAFFW66T

A scammer who, for example, offers Skype video proof can use this as evidence of having bitcoins. If you are not aware of the watchlist feature, you might be convinced and if you are one of the gullible ones, might even proceed with paying first, thinking along the lines of Hey this guy has millions so he can't be a scammer?! Let me quickly send him that 1 BTC!

Do not fall for this scam. Ask for signed proof of bitcoin ownership.

OP, don't be scammed. Think! Why would they put money on your account and risk losing it, given it's YOUR account and not theirs? Go ahead and follow the above steps. Stopping scams is most effective when you understand how these thieves do it.

Warning signs thankyou for this reply it was very helpful and with all these replies and definitely yours obviously he is scamming me. I kinda had a urky feeling about it but feel better I asked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: