Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:05:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we disable embedded images in quotes please  (Read 173 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 08:31:00 PM
Merited by DannyHamilton (2), bill gator (1)

I've started putting people who post large images of little value on ignore, but if they are quoted later, then the image is included in the quote.
Would it be possible to replace the embedded image with a link in quotes? This would make the thread far easier to read, and the repeated images seem to have little purpose.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
juicyjanet88

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

MFG Token Sale - 1st of January

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:58:47 PM

What about when people have posted graphs with technical analysis and people are quoting them to reference them? This is about the only time I can think there's a real usefulness behind quoting them. I guess that they could just refer to the OP.

It would certainly reduce the length of some threads and make them far easier to read.

Good suggestion overall I would say. Unless someone can really come up with a compelling argument otherwise.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 09:23:56 PM

What about when people have posted graphs with technical analysis and people are quoting them to reference them? This is about the only time I can think there's a real usefulness behind quoting them. I guess that they could just refer to the OP.

The useful thing a poster could do would be to reduce the size of the image, but I suspect that is expecting a bit too much from a poster. Smiley

It probably comes down to the distance between the image posting and the reply. If it's the next post, then the second image is redundant. If it's on the next page, then it could be useful.

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:35:12 PM

The useful thing a poster could do would be to reduce the size of the image, but I suspect that is expecting a bit too much from a poster. Smiley

It probably comes down to the distance between the image posting and the reply. If it's the next post, then the second image is redundant. If it's on the next page, then it could be useful.

I am having a tough time trying to figure out a reason against this. If you have a user on your ignore list, then the content of their messages should be ignored regardless of how it is presented. I am not sure if it is the case that their text is ignored and only images are allowed, but it should be the case that the quote of an ignored user is also ignored.
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 03:13:52 AM

I am having a tough time trying to figure out a reason against this. If you have a user on your ignore list, then the content of their messages should be ignored regardless of how it is presented. I am not sure if it is the case that their text is ignored and only images are allowed, but it should be the case that the quote of an ignored user is also ignored.
The content of a ignored user's message is visible if someone quotes their message that is the quote of an ignored user is not ignored. It's a bit of a weird system, I would prefer if the quote of ignored users shows the same message as you see in the their original post, ie "The user is currently ignored".
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 12:55:17 PM

Another forum that I have joined shortens quotes, and adds a "click to expand" button at the bottom of the shortened quote.
This works really well, and it cuts out the images.

EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 06:41:59 PM

The content of a ignored user's message is visible if someone quotes their message that is the quote of an ignored user is not ignored. It's a bit of a weird system, I would prefer if the quote of ignored users shows the same message as you see in the their original post, ie "The user is currently ignored".

Yeah, Jet seems to have a suggestion from another forum that would fix this problem for them. I'm torn about the suggestion and feel like there might be an easier way to implement this, programming-wise and without disruption to way things are already done.

Another forum that I have joined shortens quotes, and adds a "click to expand" button at the bottom of the shortened quote.

This would be very helpful, but I can already hear the users complaining about how this makes regular usage of the forum a tad bit more tedious. If the quote author == a user on your ignore list then it should just apply "This user is currently ignored" message to their quote. Obviously this wouldn't work if it is a quote written without an author (quotes don't actually quote the message, and you can make it say anything, which is why it probably isn't ignored by default), but where it can be determined that the quote author is written in, and they are on your ignore list; it would seem to be one or two lines of code to clean this up.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 12:02:29 PM

I've added some more members to my ignore list, and it has made a vast difference to the efficiency of my thread scanning.

Also, I noticed another useful function of the ignore feature. If the OP in a thread is on my ignore list, then the thread title is greyed out in the board index. This means that I can skip over the whole thread when scanning the index. The link to open the thread still works, but the deprecation of the thread in the index means that I probably won't bother.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: