Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:23:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I believe Mastercoin should be encoded on the bitcoin blockchain  (Read 4416 times)
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:39:35 PM

So here's a quote from Mike Hern's reference:

One final reason is that Satoshi was opposed to putting non-Bitcoin related data into the main chain. As creator of the system, his opinion should carry a lot of weight with anyone serious about extending it.

You can pretty much guarantee that will be enforced in the future.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ASICSRUS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:41:49 PM

So here's a quote from Mike Hern's reference:

One final reason is that Satoshi was opposed to putting non-Bitcoin related data into the main chain. As creator of the system, his opinion should carry a lot of weight with anyone serious about extending it.

You can pretty much guarantee that will be enforced in the future.

that's impossible you can always do a morse code type string of transactions Grin

✰ If You Risk Nothing, You Risk Everything | PrimeDice.com | The New Way To Roll | *Thread*

<3<3:::LOVE^YOUR^NEIGHBOR!!!:::|+i|_33+(((PLEASE)))====>Donate if you like me!~> 157YEcD4WQ9UbhZ7NSC2FpuaYfxHe3JgF2
jadair10

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:29:46 PM

But in truth it is a competing alt-coin that uses the bitcoin infrastructure.  Its like you said you are going "sailing" but are actually just sitting in your car on a ferry.  MC is technically a service on top of Bitcoin but in essence it is a separate coin.
Bitcoin is more like an aircraft carrier named Honeybadger which was built for the masses which is in an ocean, owned by no country, and surrounded by sharks. And Mastercoin is like a small motocross track with 100 or so individuals trying to organize where to put in its first jump.

The original honeybadger video if you missed it.
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:46:43 PM

Actually, it's more like MasterCoin is the honey badger. "MasterCoin just don't care, MasterCoin doesnt give a @#$@"
ASICSRUS

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:55:05 PM

But in truth it is a competing alt-coin that uses the bitcoin infrastructure.  Its like you said you are going "sailing" but are actually just sitting in your car on a ferry.  MC is technically a service on top of Bitcoin but in essence it is a separate coin.
Bitcoin is more like an aircraft carrier named Honeybadger which was built for the masses which is in an ocean, owned by no country, and surrounded by sharks. And Mastercoin is like a small motocross track with 100 or so individuals trying to organize where to put in its first jump.

The original honeybadger video if you missed it.

satoshi:  gtfo oh hell no you kaint build the Mastercoin motocross hijack track on top the platform of our BTC aircraft carrier !  Cheesy

✰ If You Risk Nothing, You Risk Everything | PrimeDice.com | The New Way To Roll | *Thread*

<3<3:::LOVE^YOUR^NEIGHBOR!!!:::|+i|_33+(((PLEASE)))====>Donate if you like me!~> 157YEcD4WQ9UbhZ7NSC2FpuaYfxHe3JgF2
ASICSRUS

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:58:19 PM

One important reason I'm not moving to an alt-chain is the distributed exchange between bitcoin and MasterCoin, which isn't possible if we are on an alt-chain, since it requires using data from standard bitcoin transactions AND MasterCoin transactions to work.

I don't think I've mentioned that reason anywhere else, but it is probably the primary reason I'm not even willing to consider it. There are other reasons, like total cost of development, and even the dirty stink of starting yet another alt chain (For instance, bitshares is doing it "right", but they were banished to the alt section with all those scam coins, which they of course bitterly resent).

I am totally convinced that building on top of bitcoin is the right way to go, for all the reasons here and above in Ron's posts.

would'nt using Bytecoin(bitcoin clone) work just the same ?  Roll Eyes tia

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: