Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:29:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I am quitting ICO's  (Read 6079 times)
rohinihere

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 04:03:49 PM

Well you points makes sense but still i have been able to make some good profits in some recent ICOs specially when you are able to invest in the Pre-ICO with huge discounts...most of the time i end up in the profit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Koadharber

Activity: 1065
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 04:21:37 PM

I still invest in ICOs, but it's getting boring to read whitepapers of projects with same concepts, copying ideas. Projects, in which advisors and team members try to sell themselves like street bazar.
Yes , usually those copy-cat project won't last for long and the reason they open the project for scamming purpose only. So stay away from all of them if you don't want to get scam.

Yeah. We need to always look about their project because that can be the reason for us to know if the ICO is scam or not, don't be bored reading because knowing their background will help us to avoid scammers.
If you do like to make money then you do really need to risk money too.If you are afraid on the very first place then you should not engage into ICO and as an investor you should really know on your responsibilities and the things should be done first before you would decide to invest.If you are careless then most likely you will end up on getting scammed or do have failure if the project do fail.
indrakusumaindra

Activity: 728
Merit: 101

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 04:51:11 PM

Interesting point of view.
I'm on exactly opposite end - I'm going deeper with ICO's this year.

Your points are pretty valid, but this mean you just need to be more peaky where you are investing. And I'm always and only buying during the pre-ico phase, avoiding those ICO's with massive pre-sale.
i do believe ico still have some future a head and its true we need to be peaky cause nearly  50% off all ico were fail in 2017. investing need a patient cause you may not get any profit at all even worse you might lose some. so be patient and keep searching the best ico.

FurDich

Activity: 208
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:33:51 PM

Ico is good to invest in if you can actually make money if those projects will be listed in those big exchange and not on etherdelta and hitbtc were most thing that happened is dump and sell out of panic.
I don't think Ico itself is bad but what is bad is our attitude towards how this market work , no one want to invest in a project because he believes in the future of those project but just to sell for profits.
Yep, ICO is really good but there are so many scammers are trying to take advanage of ICO to scam people. They often create some ICO project with good WP, roadmap, good dev team and private deposit address is the most important thing Smiley. These project are often widely advertised and when they got enough money, they will disappear with all the money of investors Smiley
Yeah youre right there so many scammers but the possibility to hit a huge income from ICO is possible.So the best thing that we can do must be alert always and dont easily trust to anyone especially when you think they are a scammer.
scaramanga1337

Activity: 280
Merit: 152

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:54:31 PM

sometimes its possible to get the ico coins cheaper than ico price after their first listing on exchanges.... so why to participate in the icos with all the risks like scamming etc.............
BossMacko

Activity: 1134
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:05:51 PM

I too want to quit investing in ICO, I only got few projects that are successful, most of my investment failed or was not able to follow their roadmap so nothing happened with my investment. So what i am planning is leave ICO but once the coin was listed in exchanges i'll buy tons of them while its new and price are still low. I think that way is better than investing in ICO because i can buy and sell it already in exchanges.
Silvermist

Activity: 52
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:28:41 PM

Actually, I havent tried to join ICO projects, but one of my friends have tried it, and he actually  find it good, but it just takes time. Todays, there were a lot of ICO projects competing in the market, and it seems that for it to be successful it requires support from the market. Then if this not succeed, it is bad from its members who have joined, so it is kinda risky for everyone wanting to be more profitable through joining in any ICO project.

Eroiy.io   |   PRE-ICO  [ Jan 30th - Feb 28th ]
████   Buy Tokens with 10% BONUS   ████ (http://eroiy.io)
giarised

Activity: 357
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:33:26 AM

Interesting point of view.
I'm on exactly opposite end - I'm going deeper with ICO's this year.

Your points are pretty valid, but this mean you just need to be more peaky where you are investing. And I'm always and only buying during the pre-ico phase, avoiding those ICO's with massive pre-sale.
The problem is even after the ICO; one cannot really say what can end up happening. Some of them gets undervalued for some time and then pick back up, while once some of them gets listed, they start performing pretty good. At the end, all that is required is patience as we cannot always have it all but as long as the project is solid with a working product, it is still ok, after all the essence is to hold for the long term.
marsmyname

Activity: 332
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 06:22:01 AM

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • most is sold in pre-sale to big investors, leaving scraps for crowdsale
  • much attention to marketing, less to working product or realistic time lines
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • too many ICO's without distinctive differences.
  • too many ICO's in general
  • too much tokens reserved for team/marketing
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley
I have come to start realizing sometimes that investing after the coin or token has been listed on an exchange, most especially in a big correction like this is a best choice rather than investing in the ICO directly. I invested in Adbank ICO recently and the value even got lower than the value during the ICO and honestly that sucked because I had to think, what the point is being a part of the ICO when I would have just gotten a better offer making use of an exchange when it gets dumped.

DziugasB

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2018, 06:40:16 AM

Most of your points can be avoided if you do your due diligence. It is not hard to do homework and go to bed knowing that the investment will work.
As for the exchanges, correct me if I am wrong, IDEX is a decentralized exchange, anyone can list any coin and ICOs do not control investor's decisions.
googs84

Activity: 630
Merit: 256

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 06:45:42 AM

~snip~

What to say there is always one way around for many things in this crypto land. If one shuts down badly then there might be another one opening at right time for better cause. I know we can not rely on most of the ICO these days but how could we forget that past has given us so much and we were just right about any investment that we made.

Now a days only thing that differes is, trust score! It has dropped dramatically but it doesn’t mean that ICO are all the way bad. It’s just that we have to take more efforts than the previous chapter to find betterment.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Dragon5

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 06:54:09 AM

I see your point, we all have experienced that. While even the biggest crypto bulls will privately acknowledge that 95% of initial coin offerings are hype, scams or worse, a blockchain-enabled financial system of some kind is here to say. As in the dot-com boom in 1999, some of these crypto billionaires will bust. Others will weather the inevitable reckoning and morph into something stronger, crypto’s eBay or Google. Transparency needed to
pull crypto away from its provenance as the favorite currency of drug dealers and into the adolescence of a legitimate asset class.
pat4cryptoreal

Activity: 630
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:05:52 AM

We here should have in mine that it is not all the ICO that will be successful, not all the project that will come to reality, not all the ICO that are genuine. It is all about taking risk. Make sure you carryout your research before investing in any ICO.
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 08:25:07 PM

It's certain that the hard caps are high and that there are more and more... But some ICOs like crypterium or titanium still managed to reach it! I think the real problem is that it dilutes all this money on the market cap and therefore prevents good projects from succeeding  Sad
Well, the market cap will always keep getting pumped up as most of these ICOs keep popping up and there is really nothing we can do about it.

Nevertheless, ICO in all is becoming a sham as we end up seeing even projects that do not require ICO coming up with some bullshit product and looking for funding. I feel the whole space is a joke, but at the end, like you said, there are still some good projects, it is just to find them and invest in them irrespective of what happens, but I feel the pain of the OP and some other guys though, where you see the value of the coin you are holding lesser than the value during ICO.
This is why eventually the market of icos is going to become less dynamic, what it is the point of investing in them if you are not even supporting a real project but a scam, most of the time nothing comes out of icos and it is just a huge scam in which everyone is just trying to not lose money when things eventually fail, so with that in mind is really difficult to take seriously their demands for even more documents when they should be the ones going through a know your customer/developers policy and not us.
Granxis

Activity: 1400
Merit: 536

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:31:25 PM

We here should have in mine that it is not all the ICO that will be successful, not all the project that will come to reality, not all the ICO that are genuine. It is all about taking risk. Make sure you carryout your research before investing in any ICO.
Investors are only looking at road maps on the website, developers are not examining them. I usually review all developers' linkedin accounts, i have not been disappointed so far.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
crzy

Activity: 2128
Merit: 180

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:37:09 PM

sometimes its possible to get the ico coins cheaper than ico price after their first listing on exchanges.... so why to participate in the icos with all the risks like scamming etc.............

Yeah, almost all ICO have the same pattern, well I think people are just taking the risk to invest on a great ICO and expecting to earn more since its a good one. ICO’s are ok for me as long as its not a scam.
poulembertus

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 11:29:00 PM

so if you quite from ico
why you follow bounty campaign, signature campaign
if project not succes because all people not interest join in ico project you can't receive payment
Yaunfitda

Activity: 2828
Merit: 574

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 11:32:56 PM

Yeah, almost all ICO have the same pattern, well I think people are just taking the risk to invest on a great ICO and expecting to earn more since its a good one. ICO’s are ok for me as long as its not a scam.

I say that 90% have the same pattern, meaning nothing unique to offer, the same ICO's all over again with only different teams behind. For me its a red flag that it will not do any good or maybe a scammer for the worst part.

I applaud the OP for quitting because there are thousand of ICO popping around like mushrooms with the intention to be scam investors of their money.

What's the worst is that those legit and trusted ICO losses its ground from potential investors because they have doubts to reinvest specially those people who have been victimized already.

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
Bobby park

Activity: 546
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 11:54:21 PM

Why do you quit ICO? Yet there are lot of scams but probably, ICO is profitable. Just don't quit participating ICO because someday you will find the best that suit to you.
makoto_takemiya

Activity: 15
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 12:10:36 AM

ICOs had promised to help democratize fundraising, giving access to funds to any capable team with an idea worth developing. However, the shift from public, unregulated sales to sales where everyone does KYC and institutional investors (like crypto funds) buy up a large majority of the tokens at a huge discount over the common folk, has taken away the main advantage of the ICO model, which was democratization of fundraising.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: