Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:40:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple XRP surge open source and ZipZap news!  (Read 28010 times)
clipcoins (OP)

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 03:08:33 AM

There might be other people with different valuations etc. but the basic principle is still that of an open and free market for price (and through price: risk) discovery. Just like what's currently happening still with USD.MtGox vs. USD.Bitstamp.
You're correct in saying that markets calculate the value of IOU's among banks already. It works beautifully, so what's the point of ripple again?

ACH and wire transfers do not work "beautifully", they work like a system designed in the 1900s to function over a telegraph during business hours. With ripple, exchanging IOUs becomes as seamless as sending bitcoins.

ACH and SWIFT are bureaucracies, Ripple is a protocol. Its like comparing snail-mail to e-mail.

ACH sucks....takes 2 or 3 days for your money to move and usually a fee for it (either you pay it or the bank/service does and passes it along to you somehow).

And wire transfer costs what?  $30?   Sending bitcoin costs about 5 cents with the miner feel and sending with ripple costs even less.

And I have been using BTC with XRP for months and never really pondered which is "better".  They are both very good at what they do and I will continue to use both for quite some time, I'm sure.

Opened Now: Clipcoins.com
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:15:58 AM

I'm sure i'm not the only one with this thought, because it seems obvious that ButterCoin exchanges will, sooner or later, also become ripple gateways. It will be very difficult to compete as an exchange, if the sole method of USD transfer is ACH/SWIFT.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
clipcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 05:12:56 AM

I'm sure i'm not the only one with this thought, because it seems obvious that ButterCoin exchanges will, sooner or later, also become ripple gateways. It will be very difficult to compete as an exchange, if the sole method of USD transfer is ACH/SWIFT.

Ripple exchanges have a lot to gain from increased traffic. I was new to bitcoin and used Bitstamp so much with Ripple that now it is my favorite exchange and I kind of do everything around it.  And I've got 3303 BTC 30 day volume on there which is not huge by any standards but that is a lot of commissions for them.

I also use Snapswap and didn't like them that much (1% fee and some ACH problems) but now that they've added Dwolla I will happily pay the 1% when necessary.

mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 06:42:03 AM

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 07:48:50 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2013, 08:15:53 AM by NWO

Brace yourself lads, check out the spread for the USD/XRP charts we are about to get a major correction. If you think this is big, wait until the failed promise of open sourcing doesn't arrive on the 26th.

I feel for those who bought in at these prices. Follow twitter.com/RipplePump for the latest dump plan in the coming week. Sell now, buy back at half the price - doubling your XRP holdings. It was only 45,000 xrp/ 1 btc a month ago, what fools are buying at these prices? HA!

Can we please add this into the title or is this just a bias hype thread? Oh well, you can't help morons who want to lose money. Read the signs people! Know what you're actually investing in. I'm out, sick of bumping this pathetic hype thread.  

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 08:17:05 AM

Brace yourself lads, check out the spread for the USD/XRP charts we are about to get a major correction. If you think this is big, wait until the failed promise of open sourcing doesn't arrive on the 26th.

I feel for those who bought in at these prices. Follow twitter.com/RipplePump for the latest dump plan in the coming week. Sell now, buy back at half the price - doubling your XRP holdings. It was only 45,000 xrp/ 1 btc a month ago, what fools are buying at these prices? HA!

Can we please add this into the title or is this just a bias hype thread? Oh well, you can't help morons who want to lose money. Read the signs people! Know what you're actually investing in. I'm out, sick of bumping this pathetic hype thread.  

Gamble any way or the other - up or down up or down? No one knows for sure.
Maybe you wanna buy cheap? Wink
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 08:45:35 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2013, 09:44:06 AM by Coinseeker

NWO, didn't you get laughed off the Ripple forums with your silly twitter pump/dump?  It's obvious you didn't buy in at 45k and now are mad....trying to get people to dump to you.  We're headed to all time highs on this one.  Likely you'll never see these prices again.  Might want to just accept it or miss the boat for good.  

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
NWO

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 10:05:15 AM

NWO, didn't you get laughed off the Ripple forums with your silly twitter pump/dump?  It's obvious you didn't buy in at 45k and now are mad....trying to get people to dump to you.  We're headed to all time highs on this one.  Likely you'll never see these prices again.  Might want to just accept it or miss the boat for good.  

No? I received nearly 30 members signing up from a wasteland forum that usually harbours 0-2 people online at a time. Maybe I should make it public on these forums and see what the response is. If you are on the Ripple forums, you would see my activity on the boards when Ripple was rising so stop lying (to be fair I bought at 41,000 xrp/ 1 btc). I love how defensive you get with assumptions against a balanced argument which doesn't align with your bias rhetoric. Maybe I should make assumptions about you? You bad bro? Got teased at school? Or touched when you were small? The internet is great isn't it.

Keep lying to the forum, but the evidence is there for people who want to make an informed decision on when to buy/ sell. Lucky I talk from facts, not assumptions. I recently just created a new Ripple account with a insane password because of the amount I hold. It will become my offline cold wallet. Like I said, you and your puppet accounts are just making me rich.  

People only need to look into your history to see how much of a fool you are, your persistent waffle makes no sense and you constantly troll/ lie. No wonder your ignore button is glowing, you are a waste of my time.

Consider yourself blocked, like what everyone else is doing on the forum. Blocking your low intelligence and troll/ hype posts.
Coinseeker

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 10:35:49 AM

Touched a nerve huh?   Grin. Just post the Ripple addy as you continue to avoid doing.  I'd love to be wrong.   Wink.  All can be settled without paragraphs of rant.  I'll wait...

murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 12:40:36 PM

There might be other people with different valuations etc. but the basic principle is still that of an open and free market for price (and through price: risk) discovery. Just like what's currently happening still with USD.MtGox vs. USD.Bitstamp.
You're correct in saying that markets calculate the value of IOU's among banks already. It works beautifully, so what's the point of ripple again?
ACH and wire transfers do not work "beautifully", they work like a system designed in the 1900s to function over a telegraph during business hours. With ripple, exchanging IOUs becomes as seamless as sending bitcoins.

ACH and SWIFT are bureaucracies, Ripple is a protocol. Its like comparing snail-mail to e-mail.
ACH sucks....takes 2 or 3 days for your money to move and usually a fee for it (either you pay it or the bank/service does and passes it along to you somehow).

And wire transfer costs what?  $30?   Sending bitcoin costs about 5 cents with the miner feel and sending with ripple costs even less.

I did a UK bank-to-bank transfer to a solicitor recently, and while I don't know exactly how long it took, I know that two hours later they confirmed that the funds had arrived, so certainly less than that, and I wasn't charged any fee.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
russokai

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 01:44:26 PM

I hope there is a correction in the next couple of days to add some more even cheaper.  The ZipZap news is huge, on top of the open source news, which a lot of people aren't even aware of yet. 

And the Money2020 conference on Oct 6 will get Ripple a lot of media coverage and headlines, which will lead to more buying interest.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:37:13 PM

Say there's Bank A, B, and C and they issue the IOU's USD.A, USD.B, USD.C respectively. They are all liquidity providers for the others.
Gateways, generally speaking, don't provide each other liquidity. Market makers do that. A gateway that needed to might provide some "backstop liquidity" to ensure the assets it issues are liquid, but it's not likely to handle assets issued by other gateways as part of its ordinary course of business, unless it had some specific reason to. Why add unnecessary risk?

By that, you mean regular ripple users become liquidity providers and will end up holding worthless IOUs. You'd have to run rippled if you don't want to be a liquidity provider. Liquidity providers takes on a significant risk of losing money without any reward.

Speculating on the prices of XRP is much more important than not making your users carry on significant risks. There's real world examples of people that have lost money. But if ripple users were not liquidity providers by default (charging 0% fee while taking on non-zero risk), Ripple's payment system won't be functional.

This is just one of the many flaws of ripple, and if you do your own research you'll get the real picture of what Ripple and OpenCoin Inc is. I'll elaborate upon these points in a rewrite of RippleScam.org soon.

What license will the Ripple server be licensed in?
Rippled is only needed to take part in the transaction ordering process, maybe a bit similar to bitcoin in the sense that you don't need to mine to use them (though mining also gives a reward besides purely confirming transactions).

Everything that happens on the network itself can already be done using open source software. This includes running a gateway of course and issuing/redeeming IOUs.

You can only end up with worthless IOUs in the case of trusting a fraudulent gateway, like the stunt tradefortress pulled off. Even this could be prevented, though i doubt that the settings for that would be in the official client by default. They could be patched into a "paranoid" fork though.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
clipcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 02:46:52 PM

Yes price is holding pretty firm at around .01.  I don't see it pulling back beyond .008 at the most and probably not even near that.  I would load up at that price and I'm sure others would too.  But anything around .009 is a bargain at this point.

But I hope others do sell and take some profits...just some less expensive XRP for me to scoop up.

DumbFruit

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:58:11 PM

You may want to start another thread to talk about the long-term value of the ripple protocol.
Ok!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=297287.msg3189862#msg3189862

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
sevenVII

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:07:34 PM

Ultimately you have to ask yourself... Why is the OP sharing this information with you, if not to his/her advantage?
Coinseeker

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:08:02 PM

I hope there is a correction in the next couple of days to add some more even cheaper.  The ZipZap news is huge, on top of the open source news, which a lot of people aren't even aware of yet. 

And the Money2020 conference on Oct 6 will get Ripple a lot of media coverage and headlines, which will lead to more buying interest.

Yeah, there's just too much upside here to not be buying and holding.  This potentially "perfect storm" of events, just doesn't come around that often. Open source, ZipZap, Money2020 and who knows what other surprises are waiting.  Of course, if there is a correction, I too will be taking full advantage as we move into the Money2020 conference.  I'm keeping a watchful eye on the markets to catch weak hands dumping and I'll be there to snatch up the goodies.   Grin  With just a ZipZap integration confirmation, I truly don't see how we'll see XRP prices anywhere near these levels again.  We held steady at around .02 for the longest with no real updates.  With the right combination of events, my gut says we'll blow way past that.  .1+ is so easily obtainable, to me its just not worth the risk of being caught without XRP. At least for the next couple/three weeks.  

Caesar V

Activity: 369

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:18:38 PM

If you're planning to buy ripple, don't buy in bulk from bitstamp, they will rip you off big time. Just buy enough to activate trading on your ripple account. Do your research before touching ripple or you will regret big time.
Coinseeker

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:21:10 PM

If you're planning to buy ripple, don't buy in bulk from bitstamp, they will rip you off big time. Just buy enough to activate trading on your ripple account. Do your research before touching ripple or you will regret big time.

+1  That's very good advice.  Buy off the built-in exchange within the Ripple client.  I tend to forget those new to Ripple may make this mistake.

clipcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 04:35:48 PM

Yes Bitstamp jacked up their price about 30% in the last few hours.  It is about .015 when you can get XRP for about .01 right now.  So just buy maybe 200 XRP through Bitstamp if you have to and then buy in the Ripple client...will get a much better deal.

clipcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 04:38:55 PM

Yeah, there's just too much upside here to not be buying and holding.  This potentially "perfect storm" of events, just doesn't come around that often. Open source, ZipZap, Money2020 and who knows what other surprises are waiting.  Of course, if there is a correction, I too will be taking full advantage as we move into the Money2020 conference.  I'm keeping a watchful eye on the markets to catch weak hands dumping and I'll be there to snatch up the goodies.   Grin  With just a ZipZap integration confirmation, I truly don't see how we'll see XRP prices anywhere near these levels again.  We held steady at around .02 for the longest with no real updates.  With the right combination of events, my gut says we'll blow way past that.  .1+ is so easily obtainable, to me its just not worth the risk of being caught without XRP. At least for the next couple/three weeks.  

Well said, there is more risk in terms of opportunity cost right now with not holding XRP than the risk of it dropping on you.  I'll gladly risk 10-15% for a very high probability of making another 100% or more from here.

And it's not like XRP hasn't been at .02 before...was just there a few months ago and news wasn't nearly as positive back then.  The ZipZap integration and support will be huge and LOTS of press and media attention coming from Money 2020 conference.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: