Poll
Question: Which describes you best?
Nearly all new ASIC hardware excites me and don't really care about ROI
All ASICs are a waste of money and will never ROI
I carefully research each new device and proceed with caution
I want an ASIC but I'm afraid I'll lose money

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fanboys vs the ROIers... The Custom Hardware Divide!  (Read 1447 times)
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:47:50 PM

FWIW, I got in with GPU mining in mid-2011, paid off my GPU rigs when I sold a bunch of BTC when it hit $250 USD, and the pile of BTC I'm left sitting on is "play money" that I'm having fun with.

In this for the fun and as a hobby.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:50:04 PM

I think there is plenty of middle ground.  Most would like to see the bitcoin network more secured, most would also like to make some money for their efforts.  Not really sure what this post is driving at.  I mined around break even with GPUs for awhile however judge future miner hardware purchases based on speculative BTC ROI.  Being interested in ASICs and not wanting to lose money aren't mutually exclusive.  I'm sure there are plenty that have bought small USB miners for fun knowing they'd likely never turn a profit and also purchased larger priced ASICs with profitability in mind.

What is this post driving at?  I'm just pointing out that there seems to be such a strong divide between the "wants" and the "want nots".

And oddly, some of the most vocal people in the Custom Hardware subforum are the "want nots".  Why do they feel its their duty to "educate" those of us who are actually interested in the topic?  Frankly, it tiresome and boring.

Flame away!
Well I guess we'll have to disagree that such a large divide exists then.  Most arguments surrounding this topic I've seen stem more from a differing of what constitutes ROI.  If you know your equipment likely won't make a return over investment and you are fine with that and your motivation is to secure the network and get a chance to own ASICs, then I don't think that is very controversial and I doubt anyone has a problem with it.

Well there you go being all logical and nice!  Thanks for that.  I wish we could clone you a million times.  Smiley

But I do disagree with your assertion that everyone here has no problem with others who don't worry about ROI so much.  It seems to me that every single thread in this subforum is filled with, "your product is a failure because you won't give it to me for 10% of what it cost you to produce!" and "you're an idiot for buying something that isn't guaranteed to make you a profit!"  And no, I don't think I'm exaggerating... that much.
Hah me cloned a million times would make a pretty boring forums but thank you.  This thread spawned more interesting dialog than I anticipated, sorry for my skepticism.

In my perspective most complaints towards manufacturers is that they didn't deliver on what they promised, not that the company has a profit margin on their products.  I agree that there is nothing wrong with manufacturers charging above cost for their products.  Maybe my perspective is due to projection on my part and I'm not seeing it the way you do.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:25:04 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 09:46:22 PM by PuertoLibre

Am I stating the obvious when I say there doesn't seem to be very much middle-ground between the two?  It's very similar to the difference between liberal and conservative politics (please don't make this a political discussion).  Each side thinks they have all of the answers and the other side is a bunch of moronic losers.  Lol.

Full disclosure... I admit, I'm a bit of an ASIC fanboy.  Every new product announcement gets my interest.  I try to weed-out the obvious scams but it has become much more difficult.  Currently, I have dozens of USB Erupter, 6 Blades and 2 Bitfury Starter Kits.  I also have another Bitfury October preorder and KnC preorder.  I'm not into this to make money although returning my original investment would be nice.  But I'm having a lot of fun regardless.

Correction, you are a BFL ASIC Fanboi. Just to be clear on the record.
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:32:33 PM

Congratulations all on creating such a polite and civilised thread so far. Makes a nice change, and gives me hope.

xstr8guy (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:34:22 PM

Am I stating the obvious when I say there doesn't seem to be very much middle-ground between the two?  It's very similar to the difference between liberal and conservative politics (please don't make this a political discussion).  Each side thinks they have all of the answers and the other side is a bunch of moronic losers.  Lol.

Full disclosure... I admit, I'm a bit of an ASIC fanboy.  Every new product announcement gets my interest.  I try to weed-out the obvious scams but it has become much more difficult.  Currently, I have dozens of USB Erupter, 6 Blades and 2 Bitfury Starter Kits.  I also have another Bitfury October preorder and KnC preorder.  I'm not into this to make money although returning my original investment would be nice.  But I'm having a lot of fun regardless.

I've temporarily unignored you since I started this thread and I'm slightly curious if you had anything constructive to add.

And nope, as usual, you have nothing to add to the discussion.

And btw, I currently own no BFL devices.  As I've stated already in this thread, I sold my Little Single and I do have a Monarch preorder.  I own ASICMiner Blades and USBs and Bitfury boards.  I also have a KnC September preorder as well as another October Bitfury preorder.  So I'm not sure how that makes me a BFL fanboy.  I've already openly, unashamedly stated that I was an ASIC fanboy.  BFL has no special place in my heart, lol.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:38:18 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 09:51:06 PM by PuertoLibre

I've temporarily unignored you since I started this thread and I'm slightly curious if you had anything constructive to add.

And nope, as usual, you have nothing to add to the discussion.  Please go away.  You won't be missed.
If you want me to say something constructive, then pick a topic. I assure you I can be just as (or even more) rational than you imagine.
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:40:57 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 09:59:10 PM by Stinky_Pete

Congratulations all on creating such a polite and civilised thread so far. Makes a nice change, and gives me hope.

OK, I take it back. Large fonts are never a good sign.

*Edit* - and now they've mysteriously gone to normal sized italics.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:43:25 PM

Am I stating the obvious when I say there doesn't seem to be very much middle-ground between the two?  It's very similar to the difference between liberal and conservative politics (please don't make this a political discussion).  Each side thinks they have all of the answers and the other side is a bunch of moronic losers.  Lol.

For example, I will point out an obvious point.

The FanBoi's are [usually] irrational members who will [by definition] support their favorite company even when they do egregious harm on the BitCoin community.

People interested in ROI are looking at ASIC manufacturers as a means to an end. They are worried about balancing their financial income vs debt when buying hardware. In most cases, a rational endeavor....but not always carried out in a rational way.
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:48:14 PM

Am I stating the obvious when I say there doesn't seem to be very much middle-ground between the two?  It's very similar to the difference between liberal and conservative politics (please don't make this a political discussion).  Each side thinks they have all of the answers and the other side is a bunch of moronic losers.  Lol.

Full disclosure... I admit, I'm a bit of an ASIC fanboy.  Every new product announcement gets my interest.  I try to weed-out the obvious scams but it has become much more difficult.  Currently, I have dozens of USB Erupter, 6 Blades and 2 Bitfury Starter Kits.  I also have another Bitfury October preorder and KnC preorder.  I'm not into this to make money although returning my original investment would be nice.  But I'm having a lot of fun regardless.

And nope, as usual, you have nothing to add to the discussion.  Please go away.  You won't be missed.
If you want me to say something constructive, then pick a topic. I assure you I can be just as (or even more) rationale than you imagine.

I'm sorry, but why did you post in this thread?

I honestly don't think I've ever disliked someone as much as you.  You are a plague on this community.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:50:01 PM

You asked for opinions. You got them. Like always, you don't like my opinions.

What could I do? <throws up hands in the air!>

Edit: Oh wait, I came up with something even funnier. You are a FanBoi and I am a ROI'er.

That is why you dislike me so much. <big shoulder shrug>
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:55:41 PM

Edit: Oh wait, I came up with something even funnier. You are a FanBoi and I am a ROI'er.

I can't find the quote but didn't you, a few weeks back, say to me "You are invisible to me."?

Please make me invisible again.  Please!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:57:25 PM

I can't find the quote but didn't you, a few weeks back, say to me "You are invisible to me."?

Please make me invisible again.  Please!
No, not that I recall? Perhaps that was another member(s).

Are you sure they didn't say "You are dead to me." ?

Think carefully, perhaps it was YipYip, it's his way of communicating love towards another member.

Edit: By the way, I chose: I carefully research each new device and proceed with caution   )
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: