Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:39:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a PayPal refund for your BFL purchase?  (Read 33987 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Gonzi

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:22:37 PM

Thanks a lot. Worked Like a charm. Positive response in few hours.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lajz99 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:47:51 PM

Wow, a whole slew of new refunds this morning!

As of 9:30pst we're at 60 refunds for forum users and 26 refunds for reddit users! 

BFL must be spending a lot of time processing refunds these days.  As much as I hate to deter them from assembling hardware...oh wait, they haven't been doing that anyways...

Thank you again to everyone who has sent along a token of their appreciation!

Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:54:12 PM

I posted this on the "BFL f**ks us over" thread, but is relevant here.

I went to read the thread [BFL splat from] Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com because of the unusual name.  It's not any inter-company related things at all; just some posters who have discovered BFL isn't exactly timely in their shipping.

Among the posts, though, was this one (bolding is mine): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=296589.msg3181486#msg3181486

As someone still waiting for their March 2013 order (paying the lower price), I can tell you I'm fine just getting a refund. At this stage, even if they shipped it, I wouldn't be able to make any money back from it. I just claimed a refund with Paypal yesterday. They told me they have hundreds of refund requests for BF Labs Inc, and that they will credit me back the amount immediately, and that BFL has 40 days to dispute the charges by showing that they've already sent the item.

Two things:

First, maybe lajz99 was the trailblazer that opened what now is a public pathway. In any case, this is my chance to mention what a great community spirit has been shown here by him.  That's all too much missing in the corrupt and everybody-for-themselves attitudes in the Age of ASICs.

Second, that "40 days to ship" seems to mesh with the "operational mistake" of shipping out of queue that BFL got caught at the other day.

wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:29:02 PM

Got mine today, thanks a ton for helping out the community Cheesy
demkd

Activity: 242
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:41:20 PM

Wow, just got my refund. After 9 hours only!
Thanks! Smiley
lajz99 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:42:58 PM

Wow, I can barely keep up with everyone's posts and PM's about getting refunds today!  How soon will we hit 100?!

-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:30:50 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2013, 06:41:08 PM by -Redacted-

After being declined a refund by BFL, and being told Paypal wouldn't do anything since the 45 day deadline has passed.  I emailed PayPal and requested escalation to the Butterfly Labs account manager and to a couple of other addresses suggested by lajz99.

I sent out that email to Paypal at 08:00 this morning, discussing BFL's violation of the 45 day TOS and non-delivery of products ordered as far back as 2012.  I received the response, shown below, at 11:30 - just 2.5 hours later...

Once the balance hits my account, a nice tip in BTC will  be on the way to Lajz99 - please PM me an address!

(Note - the other $200 was for 2 upgrades to Jalapenos  that I didn't even mention in my email - the Jalas themselves were paid for in BTC.  I notice that payment for those aren't being refunded.)

Dear xxxx xxxx,

Thank you for reaching out to PayPal regarding your concerns with your Butterfly Lab transactions.  We take situations like this very seriously and are pleased to inform you we have been in direct communication with Butterfly Labs and your payment has been refunded.

Your original payment of $5,066.00 USD was funded with your bank account, the refund will be returned to your PayPal balance. Your payment of $200.00 USD will also be refunded to your PayPal balance.

Thank you for being a valued customer!

Sincerely,
Adam
PayPal

HappyHunter

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:45:50 PM

Got the refund within 3 hours.

Thanks a lot lajz99
beavertank

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:51:50 PM

Second, that "40 days to ship" seems to mesh with the "operational mistake" of shipping out of queue that BFL got caught at the other day.

Interestingly, my account at BFL is still active (I half expected it to be insta-banned for this) and my order still shows as "processing". So maybe they're hoping they can get to my order/all these orders within 40 days and that people will sign for and accept the package so they can get PayPal to recharge them?

Did I help you out, or otherwise say something useful? A handful of satoshis are a great way to say thanks! - Address: 18JUKdmE1Satf8HJUU3pf7iu5ymQX8AzER
lajz99 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:54:33 PM

Interestingly, my account at BFL is still active (I half expected it to be insta-banned for this) and my order still shows as "processing". So maybe they're hoping they can get to my order/all these orders within 40 days and that people will sign for and accept the package so they can get PayPal to recharge them?

I'm not sure if PayPal can recharge you or not but I suggest that you do NOT sign for a package from BFL if you have received a refund.  Not only is it dishonest, but you may end up paying for a worthless product.

Starcraftman

Activity: 58

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:56:46 PM

I sent out emails yesterday evening and got my refund this morning. Feels good.
Smiley_01

Activity: 19

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 07:13:31 PM

Anybody else who did not get a refund from PayPal after waiting for several days ?

I have sent a polite and short email containing all the needed facts to the PayPal addresses provided by lajz99 on last Friday.
However I did not receive any answer or refund from PayPal yet.
This morning, I have sent another email with a polite status request; no answer so far.

I am very happy for all you guys who received a refund but it seems that it does not work every time. Maybe its more
complicated if you live in Europe like me.

Just an information for all people still waiting and seeing all these statements about having received a refund / response
mostly after less than 24 hours...

@lajz99
Thanks for helping us - keep going Smiley
If I ever get a refund from PayPal you will get a tip Smiley

beavertank

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 07:18:56 PM

I'm not sure if PayPal can recharge you or not but I suggest that you do NOT sign for a package from BFL if you have received a refund.  Not only is it dishonest, but you may end up paying for a worthless product.

Oh definitely. I thought that was pretty well understood, but I suppose I should have said it just so it's explicit. If BFL has to prove you received the item to get the money out of PayPal, that requires your signature for the package. At that point they're entitled to their money, and you're on the hook for the bill.

Looking at the PayPal TOS:

11.2 Reimbursement for Your Liability.
In the event that you are liable for any amounts owed to PayPal, PayPal may immediately remove such amounts from your balance. If you do not have a balance that is sufficient to cover your liability, your remaining balance (if any) will be removed, your Account will have negative balance up to the amount of your liability, and you will be required to immediately Add Funds to your Balance or reimburse PayPal through an alternative method. If you do not do so, PayPal may engage in collection efforts to recover such amounts from you.

So basically, if they ship anyway and you sign for it within the 40 day window, PayPal will take the money out of your account (if it's there) and if not start hounding you with collections calls and ultimately sell the debt to a collection agency who will be no fun to deal with at all.

So tl;dr - If they ship, don't sign and refuse the package.

Did I help you out, or otherwise say something useful? A handful of satoshis are a great way to say thanks! - Address: 18JUKdmE1Satf8HJUU3pf7iu5ymQX8AzER
Xeldal

Activity: 23

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:08:45 PM

18 hours .  Full Refund!!

Awesome!

THANKYOU!!
stevendevlin

Activity: 23

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:22:06 PM

Chalk up another full refund, with nothing more than one email sent.

I highly recommend speaking to laz if you need a refund from BFL
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:27:14 PM

I shot Laz a 10% tip - seemed well worthwhile for the help retrieveing money that I had considered gone and un-recoverable at this point. 

Don't be stingy - generosity is good for both your karma and your chi Smiley
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:31:51 PM

Yes definitely make sure you refuse it if they "accidentally" ship it to you.  Poor miner, at least he got a nice trip out of it.

Depart USPS Sort Facility
Processed through USPS Sort Facility
Refused
Out for Delivery
Arrival at Post Office
Processed through USPS Sort Facility

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:30:16 PM

I shot Laz a 10% tip - seemed well worthwhile for the help retrieveing money that I had considered gone and un-recoverable at this point. 

I agree, thanks to Lazj99 for helping people recover their funds from BFL.

Please tip him well, otherwise you may not have obtained your 100% refund!
daddyfatsax

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:32:54 PM

I agree, thanks to Lazj99 for helping people recover their funds from BFL.

Please tip him well, otherwise you may not have obtained your 100% refund!

I got banned again for referencing Laz and his refunds. Glad to see people are getting their money back and taking care of Laz.
chrxn

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 11:03:27 PM

Got my refund. Thank goodness.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: