Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:18:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make transaction speed faster?  (Read 284 times)
wsxdrfv (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 01:51:33 AM

So bitcoin block generation speed is 10 minutes, is this minimum transaction speed?

Then how can faster it?

I find at 'chainparams.cpp', consensus.nPowTargetSpacing = 10 * 60;

So this is 10 minutes, so if I change it to 0.1 * 60, then transaction speed also become 6 seconds?

What else parameters should I change to speed up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Random Seller

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:56:18 AM

So bitcoin block generation speed is 10 minutes, is this minimum transaction speed?

Then how can faster it?

So this is 10 minutes, so if I change it to 0.1 * 60, then transaction speed also become 6 seconds?

That will speed up transactions but you may not have enough time for all the nodes to record the transaction. If you do change it that way you should take a look at the reward amount for each block as decreasing blocktime will increase the supply of bitcoin introduced to the system.

To increase transaction speed you may also want to take a look at blocksize.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 04:27:06 AM

No, that is the average block time that we want.

Then how can faster it?

If by transaction speed you mean confirmation time, then changing that will effect confirmation time because it effects the block time. Note that changing that does not guarantee that blocks will be found every 6 seconds, it only says that the average time in between blocks is 6 seconds.

You will need to change the maximum proof of work target (which thus decreases the minimum difficulty). The proof of work target is what actually regulates block times.

DispatchLabs

Activity: 420
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 06:03:57 AM

A directed acylic graph (DAG) could be the answer as the confirmation of the transaction is done within the transaction itself with no blockchain. Plus it is friendlier for the environment.  Of course, if the question is confined strictly to bitcoin then a change to DAG would likely never happen.

Dispatch Labs is a Distributed Ledger Technology Platform for Dapp Developers that is truly scalable, insanely fast with no transaction fees.
wsxdrfv (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 07:12:55 AM

No, that is the average block time that we want.

Then how can faster it?

If by transaction speed you mean confirmation time, then changing that will effect confirmation time because it effects the block time. Note that changing that does not guarantee that blocks will be found every 6 seconds, it only says that the average time in between blocks is 6 seconds.

You will need to change the maximum proof of work target (which thus decreases the minimum difficulty). The proof of work target is what actually regulates block times.
Thanks.
How to change the maximum proof of work target? for faster transaction time?
wsxdrfv (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 07:14:33 AM

Then how can faster it?

That will speed up transactions but you may not have enough time for all the nodes to record the transaction. If you do change it that way you should take a look at the reward amount for each block as decreasing blocktime will increase the supply of bitcoin introduced to the system.

Thanks.
Then how ethereum block generation time is so fast? (15 seconds maybe?) Is there enough time for nodes to record the transaction?

And what is proper fastest time to wait all nodes record?
Random Seller

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:36:13 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2018, 08:02:36 AM by Random Seller

Then how can faster it?

Thanks.
Then how ethereum block generation time is so fast? (15 seconds maybe?) Is there enough time for nodes to record the transaction?

Pre Segwit full nodes have a max blocksize of 1MB for bitcoin. In Ethereum the blocksize is variable but currently it’s around 22KB. If the blocksize is small you can afford faster block times.

The fastest time, in my opinion is fairly arbitrary. Just put in what works for you. But test the hell out of it before you go live.
BTCerm

Activity: 79

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:28:05 AM

JUST BE PATIENT  Grin
Spending more money on a transaction is not always the answer for most people. The best option is often to wait until the transaction is confirmed through normal means. Granted, this may take up a lot of valuable time, but it is also a reliable solution. You can still use the other three options if the transaction is still stuck after 24 hours or longer.
wsxdrfv (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 06:11:58 AM

Thanks.

Pre Segwit full nodes have a max blocksize of 1MB for bitcoin. In Ethereum the blocksize is variable but currently it’s around 22KB. If the blocksize is small you can afford faster block times.

The fastest time, in my opinion is fairly arbitrary. Just put in what works for you. But test the hell out of it before you go live.
Thx.
How is blocksize after Segwit? Isn't it good to enlarge the size for store more transaction data? Or it is dynamically adjusted as that time's transaction amount?

galaxing

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 08:04:48 AM

Then how can faster it?

Transactions for bitcoin are still uncertain, will be nice and beautiful ,, but if the bitcoin transaction will be faster again ,, really cool.
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 08:40:00 AM

Thx.
How is blocksize after Segwit?
With Segwit there is no longer a concept of "block size" instead "block weight" is used instead.
https://medium.com/@jimmysong/understanding-segwit-block-size-fd901b87c9d4

Isn't it good to enlarge the size for store more transaction data?
Simply enlarging the block size doesn't work; it's just kicking the can down the road.
And increasing it to absurd levels Isn't even practical

Or it is dynamically adjusted as that time's transaction amount?
A dynamic block size -- a la Monero -- has its own drawbacks.

Scaling blockchains while keeping it decentralised is really hard.
wsxdrfv (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 09:20:20 AM

Thx.
How is blocksize after Segwit?
With Segwit there is no longer a concept of "block size" instead "block weight" is used instead.
https://medium.com/@jimmysong/understanding-segwit-block-size-fd901b87c9d4

Isn't it good to enlarge the size for store more transaction data?
Simply enlarging the block size doesn't work; it's just kicking the can down the road.
And increasing it to absurd levels Isn't even practical

Or it is dynamically adjusted as that time's transaction amount?
A dynamic block size -- a la Monero -- has its own drawbacks.

Scaling blockchains while keeping it decentralised is really hard.

Thanks, so eventually for make alt-coin based on newest litecoin source, what parameters should I change about blocksize(weight), transaction amount per second? Or leave it as-is?

I just changed block generation speed parameter only.
Colorblind

Activity: 392
Merit: 41

This text is irrelevant

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 05:49:23 AM

Then how can faster it?

The real answer is you you shouldn't speed it up.

10 minutes is an AVERAGE block time, but in theory it can be much faster for 2 weeks if you put in lots and lots of additional hash power into network. However this time is there to make sure network is stable and robust, you shouldn't aim to speed it up. There are plenty of solutions offering instant bitcoin transactions and LN will be instant settlement.

wsxdrfv (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 06:23:03 AM

10 minutes is an AVERAGE block time, but in theory it can be much faster for 2 weeks if you put in lots and lots of additional hash power into network. However this time is there to make sure network is stable and robust, you shouldn't aim to speed it up. There are plenty of solutions offering instant bitcoin transactions and LN will be instant settlement.

How about change 2 weeks to just 1 day? or even 1 hour? Then lots and lots of hash power can't ruin?
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 06:46:50 AM

How about change 2 weeks to just 1 day? or even 1 hour? Then lots and lots of hash power can't ruin?
The 2 weeks he's talking about is bitcoin's difficulty retarget/adjustment in which the rate of blocks being found increases or decreases based on the average hashrate for the last 2016 blocks (2 weeks)

You can change the difficulty period to less than 2016 blocks but depending on how you implement it it can lead to disaster
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: