Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:30:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to mine on pool without password?  (Read 832 times)
shaps (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:37:38 AM

I want to install a client on a multiple machines but other's have access to them as well.  Is it possible to connect to a pool like deepbit with username only to credit the right account with the work but not include the password so it is not exposed?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 01:40:28 AM

I want to install a client on a multiple machines but other's have access to them as well.  Is it possible to connect to a pool like deepbit with username only to credit the right account with the work but not include the password so it is not exposed?

Guiminer does not show the password.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Polygon

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:42:59 AM

Guiminer does not show the password.

actually it does, if you look in the console, its a flag for poclbm.

Can't you use separate accounts on the operating system? so each person has their own account and can't access each other's running programs?
macharborguy

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:46:50 AM

Not sure how deep bit works, but Slush's Pool uses separate passwords for each worker, and a seperate password for the main account.  You never actually use the main account password to log in with a miner like GUIMiner, but rather the password for the worker.

So even if they had access to the specific workers password, they couldn't change that password to something different, nor access your main account either to change anything.  All they could do is log in with your worker, or not log in at all.

Unless I am missing something
nafai

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:17:56 AM

Yeah most pools are like that, btcguild is also. You have an account username/password, that can look at balances and withdraw etc, and then "workers".  You can freely let people see your worker username/passwords, that's just to track different identities for different cards/gpus or different settings you wanna use.

If they "steal" your worker login/pass, all it means is they now have access to do work for you and earn you bitcoins. Knock yourself out buddy! lol

1HQiS9PLHPcoQMgN8ZdcGwhoMHWh2Hp37p
Xephan

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:29:29 AM

You could also try eligius, they only require a username which is the receiving address. So the only thing other people can do with it is to send you bitcoin Cheesy
streetuff

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:16:06 PM

i'm with eligius aswell since some days.
add your wallet adress as username and any password you like.

the pay out at around '0.33554432 BTC or after one week of inactivity, when the pool finds a block.'

check out http://eligius.st/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: