Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:55:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Multi-level Marketing scheme argument  (Read 5986 times)
Synaptic (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:41:42 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2011, 05:06:43 AM by Synaptic

Don't really need an argument on /. for this one, as it's obvious and should be apparent to anyone who's ever read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing

From the wiki:

"Criticism has focused on their similarity to illegal pyramid schemes, price-fixing of products (BITCOIN BOTS, "EARLY ADOPTERS," EXCHANGE OPERATORS MANIPULATING MARKET PRICE), high initial start-up costs, emphasis on recruitment of lower-tiered salespeople over actual sales (RAMPANT SPECULATION VS. REAL ECONOMY), encouraging if not requiring salespeople to purchase and use the company's products (BITCOIN "ECONOMY"), potential exploitation of personal relationships which are used as new sales and recruiting targets (DITTO), complex and sometimes exaggerated compensation schemes (DITTO), and cult-like techniques which some groups use to enhance their members' enthusiasm and devotion (NEED I SAY MORE)."

AND:

"Independent, unsalaried salespeople of multi-level marketing, referred to as distributors (or associates, independent business owners, dealers, franchise owners, sales consultants, consultants, independent agents, BITCOIN MINERS, BITCOIN EVANGELISTS, etc.), represent the company (BITCOIN P2P NETWORK) that produces the products or provides the services they sell (ONLINE TRANSACTION PROCESSING, COMMODITY SPECULATION). They are awarded a commission based upon the volume of product sold through their own sales efforts as well as that of their downline organization (USD ENTERING THE MARKETS).

Independent distributors develop their organizations by either building an active customer base (BITCOIN EVANGELIZING), who buy direct from the company (BITCOIN EXCHANGE OPERATORS), or by recruiting a downline of independent distributors who also build a customer base (BITCOIN MINERS, BITCOIN MERCHANTS) thereby expanding the overall organization. Additionally, distributors can also earn a profit by retailing products they purchased from the company at wholesale price (EARLY ADOPTERS, BITCOIN MINERS)."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:01:49 AM

What are you trying to say?
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:07:15 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2011, 03:34:26 AM by Synaptic

Bitcoin closely resembles an MLM scheme...
myhoho
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:31:23 AM

No... It's not that Wink.
Don't you see the difference between Amway and bitcoin? How about difference  between smart and stupid?

██████▄  ▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄         
██████████████████████████▄▄     
█████████████████████████████▄   
▄███████████████████████████████ 
▄▄███▄     ▄██████████  ████████▀▀▀██████████
▄██████   ████████████  ████████   ███████████
▄████████▀   █████████    ██    ████████▀▀▀███████
▀████▄  ▄   ████████████  ████████████   ███████
▀████▀     ▀██████████  █████████████████████
▀███████████████████████████████ 
█████████████████████████████▀   
██████████████████████████▀▀     
██████▀  ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀         
ROCKET

▄▄    ▄▄

▄▄    ▄▄

ENTHRALLING GRAPHICS
● NEW TYPE OF GAMES
100% REFERRAL BONUS
((       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄████████ ██ █████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀████████▄
▄███████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀███████▄
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████▀▀██
█████████   ████    ███▄▄██
▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄██▀  █▀
 ▀█████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄███▀  █▀
  ▀████████ ██ ████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███▄
▄████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄████▄
█████▀               ██████
█████▄              ███▀▀██
██████▄            ████▄▄██
▀██████▄▄        ▄████▀  █▀
 ▀████▄       ▄██████▀  █▀
  ▀████████████████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████████▀     ████████▄
▄██████████   ████████████▄
█████████        ██████████
█████████▄▄   ▄▄███████▀▀██
███████████   █████████▄▄██
▀██████████   ████████▀  █▀
 ▀█████████   ███████▀  █▀
  ▀████████▄▄▄█████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
))
Smalleyster

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 03:47:23 AM

Bitcoin closely resembles an MLM scheme...

It seems you don't know very much about MLM making a blanket statement like that. Nor BitCoin. No matter how many posts you may have made.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:01:56 AM

Bitcoin is not multi-level marketing. Triplemining is.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:05:45 AM

Let me clarify that I don't mean to suggest there is a single quantifiable entity running the scam.

Bitcoin is kind of unique in that way, as it's sort of an emergent behavior driven MLM scheme. Quite fascinating really...
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:10:50 AM

Let me clarify that I don't mean to suggest there is a single quantifiable entity running the scam.

Bitcoin is kind of unique in that way, as it's sort of an emergent behavior driven MLM scheme. Quite fascinating really...

How do I profit by recruiting people to use Bitcoin? And how do I profit when those people recruit people to Bitcoin?
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:11:26 AM

How do I profit by recruiting people to use Bitcoin? And how do I profit when those people recruit people to Bitcoin?

Are you a miner?
PinkiePie

Activity: 70

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 04:12:07 AM

What's wrong with multi level marketing?  A lot of people have made a ton of money through things like Amway, you just have to believe and be willing to work at it.  It isn't for everyone, but some people would just rather be their own boss instead of working a grueling 9-5.

That said, there isn't much in commong between those things and BitCoin.  It's just a currency.

--
MOST HONEST FORUM MEMBER AWARD 2011
Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:15:36 AM

What's wrong with multi level marketing?  A lot of people have made a ton of money through things like Amway, you just have to believe and be willing to work at it.  It isn't for everyone, but some people would just rather be their own boss instead of working a grueling 9-5.

That said, there isn't much in commong between those things and BitCoin.  It's just a currency.

LOL.

And, it's not a currency.
Distribution

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:18:21 AM

Are you a miner?

I'm a Bitcoin user. So how can I profit by recruiting others to use Bitcoin? By becoming a miner?
Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:20:25 AM

Bitcoin's requirement of a continuing injection into the market for a currency which isn't used as one, bears similarity to the token-product, recruitment-focused nature of MLM schemes.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:22:07 AM

Bitcoin's requirement of a continuing injection into the market for a currency which isn't used as one, bears similarity to the token-product, recruitment-focused nature of MLM schemes.

Please tell me the different % payouts I get from the different levels of referrals.  Thanks.
Distribution

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:28:45 AM

Isn't that how any commodity works? Somebody exchanges dollars for something that isn't currency (like Coca Cola) only to later exchange it back to dollars.
Lupus_Yonderboy

Activity: 153

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:31:48 AM

Please tell me the different % payouts I get from the different levels of referrals.  Thanks.

I dunno, depends on what you get from CampBX, apparently.

PinkiePie

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 04:32:47 AM

Isn't that how any commodity works? Somebody exchanges dollars for something that isn't currency (like Coca Cola) only to later exchange it back to dollars.

Wait, I'm still new to this stuff. What's the Coca-Cola in this example, the Bitcoin or the Dollars?

--
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:36:34 AM

I dunno, depends on what you get from CampBX, apparently.

Ok so Camp bx pays for referrals therefore bitcoin is a MLM... got ya.

Roll Eyes
PinkiePie

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 04:38:50 AM

Refferals only become MLM like when the people you recruit pass a cut of their own recruits up the line.  As I said before, that system works just fine as do refferals but we should be clear about what is what.

--
Distribution

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:41:16 AM

Wait, I'm still new to this stuff. What's the Coca-Cola in this example, the Bitcoin or the Dollars?

The Bitcoins. Although really it doesn't matter, because you could look at either the dollar or the Bitcoins as commodities that one might exchange for the other. When we talk about MLM, we're talking about selling a system of selling a system. When we talk about Bitcoin, we're talking about a digital commodity whose value depends (just as any other commodity) on supply and demand. I can't profit directly just because I get 100 friends to use Bitcoin who then each get 100 of their friends to use Bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: