Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:51:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US based mining farms, who do you use to insure your farm?  (Read 483 times)
krisgt30 (OP)

Activity: 461
Merit: 306

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 02:31:01 PM

Title is self explanatory, trying to get insurance for all of my hardware purchases for my facility since it is growing rapidly. A ton of tech insurance companies are turning me down once I disclose what the purpose of the data center is. Are there any miner friendly insurance companies you recommend?

www.bcmonster.com Multi pool, pools for BTC, BCA, LCC, KMD, HUSH and ZEN -Donate:1QGZQBhXMo2jVc45wLEsp2bn5agF8SZSuY
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SGMPhil

Activity: 111
Merit: 14

01010011 01000111 01001101

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 03:08:11 PM

My German Shepherd helps a bit with insuring against theft Smiley

The Sergeant Major

3KHzidSnPjzrzM4HPetpWaFR4J8FVUdbmj
Hockeybum

Activity: 113
Merit: 31

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:52:27 PM

I use Liberty Mutual for mining operations in 3 different states.  I'm not sure which states they provide coverage for, so you would have to check depending on where your operation is located.
krisgt30 (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2018, 04:28:30 PM

Of course, if any of these machines decide to spontaneously combust, I will not have my $ lost.

www.bcmonster.com Multi pool, pools for BTC, BCA, LCC, KMD, HUSH and ZEN -Donate:1QGZQBhXMo2jVc45wLEsp2bn5agF8SZSuY
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:07:35 PM

Of course, if any of these machines decide to spontaneously combust, I will not have my $ lost.

You wont get insurance that covers individual machines from damage like that....you get a policy that covers the facility itself then you decide case by case if its worth submitting to insurance.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:41:03 PM

I've been having the insurance debate with myself for months now.

My current thoughts are that its not worth it:  Should my equipment get stolen, my guess is that it would be months before I got check, and MANY months before I could convert that check into equipment to start bringing the data center back up.  Bitmain's current limit of 10 miner per batch would be a killer issue.   Even if the authorities found my equipment, my guess is that it would be impounded as evidence until the trial, so again months of outage.

When down, at least I'm not incurring any cost (building is paid for on property I own, so my only cost is electricity), but I wouldn't be generating my paycheck either.

I highly doubt you could find "lost revenue" insurance that would be affordable.

All that said, I would love to hear opposing views.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
krisgt30 (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2018, 07:23:00 PM

You wont get insurance that covers individual machines from damage like that....you get a policy that covers the facility itself then you decide case by case if its worth submitting to insurance.
There are companies that insure against damage 100%

chadl2
Copper Member

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

Cryptocurrency Miner in Los Angeles

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 02:30:13 AM

We use Lloyd's of London to insure our facilities. The do insure the individual devices, but only from total loss (theft, fire, etc.) Still, I think it's important to have some form of insurance and it's cheap at aleast.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:38:54 PM

There are, but that doesnt mean its a good idea. Insurance per piece like that would cost an insane amount of money. Copvering a facility against total loss makes sense, but trying to cover individual miners seems silly when the miners are not reliable in the first place.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
krisgt30 (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 11:33:18 PM

There are, but that doesnt mean its a good idea. Insurance per piece like that would cost an insane amount of money. Copvering a facility against total loss makes sense, but trying to cover individual miners seems silly when the miners are not reliable in the first place.

Just found coverage for $3k a year to cover $100k in s9s and t9s......I dont know where you are looking but there are insurance companies that do just that....just google high value commercial insurance.  Found companies specializing in hard to replace items and could factor in revenue lost into the policy as well.

ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:27:38 AM

Just found coverage for $3k a year to cover $100k in s9s and t9s......I dont know where you are looking but there are insurance companies that do just that....just google high value commercial insurance.  Found companies specializing in hard to replace items and could factor in revenue lost into the policy as well.

So 3%.  Been awhile since I checked out household goods, but thought riders for those were around 2%.

BTW - how did you value your S9s and T9s?  Purchase price?  Replacement price?  E-bay price?  If replacement, how did you figure in the lot limit that Bitmain has recently been imposing?

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
krisgt30 (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 12:43:31 AM

I just gave all of my receipts for purchase. All my power supplies, my firewall, my cabling, power chords, s9s and t9s and revenue lost per day in the event that these machines were to fail. Revenue lost would covered up until replacements arrive. Didnt want to play the resale game as it could either benefit or hurt me depending on the price of btc at that point in time.

alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:12:05 PM

Could you self-insure? As in placing a sum of money in a bank account monthly that you don't touch except if something happens to your rigs and you need to replace them?

If by the end of the mining operation you haven't needed to touch the money, then the bonus is that you get to keep it all.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
n0ne

Activity: 2562
Merit: 548

8ombard - Pick, Play, Prosper!

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 05:11:39 AM

As the mining industry is getting developed day by day with more and more mining farms around the world an insurance firm with bitcoin acceptance particularly for mining needs will gain popularity in a short. Or else a small percentage can be got as insurance premium from the regular amount generated through mining same as that we allocate for electricity consumption.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
undeadbitcoiner

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

Undeadbitcoiner Will not DIE until 1BTC=50K

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 08:51:50 AM

According to my Experience with StateFarm, I have pretty good coverage and my monthly payment is around $88, My coverage exclude Earthquake so everything else is covered for 300K equipment and 3M liability for property damage.

I have multiple discount in my policy while i discuss with my Insurance agent he told me I have all those discount because of my facility, Key point of my discount :
1: 24/7 and special motion detecting cameras, My special motion detection while alarm is locked will be recorder in clips and sent to email address
2: Alarm System
3: Smoke Detector
4: Fully New electrical wiring for Mining Farm, Complete new service

You can check with Statefam or any other insurance company and let them know about what can prevent on theft and fire they are concern on that, after all the prevention if still anything happens they are happy to cover but if there are good security than they will love to give you cheapest rate possible. I currently got Mining Farm Coverage I started with 50K/500K Liability and added more Antminers and raised to 100K/1M and now i added some more and build good farm so 300K/3M, when i was covering 50K/500K my monthly payment was $14.77 Only

FYI: I am Statefarm Insured since 2003(Home/Auto/Life) That was another benefit and discount as well as having my Home Insurance/ Auto and our Life Insurance with them they gave us multiple discounts, so I believe price may vary for every individual.

McMCrypto

Activity: 82
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2019, 02:52:03 PM

Hi, guys do you know  some specialized company  that offer  insurance policies  for crypto-mining operations with worldwide coverage ?  and cover such us... flood damage, fire damage,  theft,  power surge dames,  business interruption..... ?   thanks!
jaykavathe

Activity: 48
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2019, 06:31:44 PM

One strong advice to all mining farm owners. Be very clear with insurance companies about what exactly is your operation because most of the big names, probably wont cover you so you should not try to "make" it work. You will run into issues when you have a claim to file.

I have two of my facilities (one small 100K and other 2 mil) insured by Founder's shield and the process and support has been quick and wonderful. Well, I haven't had any failures so no claim yet but recently I reduced my coverage and these guys were super quick to handle the request and issue refund.

I dont have any experience with other insurers but will highly recommend Founders Shield.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: