Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:05:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why hackers can get into Myetherwallet  (Read 629 times)
anjaydut (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 11:01:39 AM

this afternoon .. Myetherwallet wallet I have been in stolen the contents by hackers ..
and I lost the ETH, has anyone ever experienced a similar case to the one I'm currently experiencing?
and how to keep this from happening again? this is really annoying (hacker shit)

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 11:10:11 AM

Well, there are a couple of different possibilities of what might have happened.

You might have logged into a phishing website and hackers acquired your login data that way.
Or you have malware on your PC, perhaps a keylogger or something else.

Never install any software if you're not sure that the source is safe.

BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 11:10:41 AM

nobody can possibly tell you how it happened unless they investigate your case thoroughly but it is a common thing to happen if you are using a web wallet instead of a proper desktop or better yet an offline storage. and also if you are not careful about what website you are visiting or what kind of malwares and keyloggers you have on your computer!

--looking for signature--
neo444

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 11:19:40 AM

The hackers can get into your wallet in Myetherwallet because they knows your private key and with that private key they vcan stole your eth
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1497

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 11:47:21 AM
Merited by Turk Ace (2)

MEW is easy to hack compared to other conventional wallets because two factor authentication can't be used with MEW. That's the glitch of their process. You need to extensively use your private key to access and send funds. There are lot of articles available in reddit with similar hacking stories. So it is advisable not to keep very high amounts in MEW.

Also stop using etherdelta exchange. You need to export your private keys to that exchange and your activities are monitored through browser cookies. That is the reason why decentralized exchanges are not able to gain popularity. Their security are worst.

Read the below article and choose your wallets carefully. If you have a licenced version of internet security package installed in your system, choose a desktop client.

https://tokenmarket.net/what-is/ethereum-token-wallets/

daduremi

Activity: 252
Merit: 9

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:33:18 PM

besides the trade loss, hackers are our main enemy too
they can look for the weaknesses of each server, which is on the computer .. and I just heard this time that Myetherwallet can be broken. it seems that the person doing this is really a genius
to minimize, should haunt a wallet that has been in retas, with a new wallet
and do not ever click on a link that you think is suspicious, hackers use all means to drain the contents of our wallets
derigop

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:42:42 PM

this afternoon .. Myetherwallet wallet I have been in stolen the contents by hackers ..
and I lost the ETH, has anyone ever experienced a similar case to the one I'm currently experiencing?
and how to keep this from happening again? this is really annoying (hacker shit)

Maybe you accidentally give your informations about your etherwallet that is why you have been hack. Don't be greed to the false advertisement that they will give you free btc or eth on the other sites. Be responsible on your actions to avoid being hacked. Take care next time.
icemantaurus

Activity: 223
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:59:21 PM

i think you accidentally share your private key with someone. Another thing is you've visited a phishing website or your pc has a malware. Or you've use a pc that have a keylogger apps on it. Sometimes using a public network might be another reason, since that network is open. So please next time be extra  careful when sharing your info.
Turk Ace

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 04:30:08 PM

I think the most likely cause is you entered your private key into a phishing site that looks just like Myetherwallet. I've been taken to a phishing site for myetherwallet. It looked exactly the same but the url was wierd and had odd numbers in it. Always check the url and bookmark the site. Lucky I checked the url or my wallet would have been compromised.
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 10634

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 04:45:18 PM

If you use a hardware wallet such as Ledger Nano S you can use MyEtherWallet pretty safely. They link up together and you must physically interact with the ledger nano s to allow an outgoing TX to be performed.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
max1616

Activity: 434
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:02:15 PM

Ffirst of all get the past..Very high two possibilities ;
You've malware on your pc, possibly a keylogger or something else.
Or you might have logged into a phishing website and hackers acquired your login data that way.
All I can tell you is it didn't happen via MyEtherWallet.com.
levvv

Activity: 532
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:12:05 PM

are you sure your wallet is hacked ? did you use another pc or laptop ?
dont you ever use another pc or laptop to login into a decentralized exchange, because they will need your private key.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:55:54 PM

If you use a hardware wallet such as Ledger Nano S you can use MyEtherWallet pretty safely. They link up together and you must physically interact with the ledger nano s to allow an outgoing TX to be performed.
This main difference if you use MyEtherWallet with or without a hardware wallet (Trezor, Ledger Nano S, etc...) is that if you use the hardware wallet, your private key won't leave the device, so nobody will be able to steal it and to steal your funds. This means you can use it more or less safely on a compromised computer. If you don't use hardware wallet, you need to input your private key somehow into the web page , so it gives the chance for the hackers to steal it. This is the reason that the Ledger Nano S is available with some months shipping time, because of the huge backlog of the orders...
I don't know what amount was stolen, but the 10% of the amount worths the price of the hardware wallet, that's good reason to buy one. It's similar than in the real life, when you want to secure your funds at home. You should buy a safe box to protect the funds or install an alarm system, etc... Rule of thumb in connection with the security: Spend the 10% of the saving to buy/install security solutions to be on the safe side...
Nakakapagpabagabag

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

BITDEPOSITARY - Make ICO's , More Secure

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:08:19 PM

Actually, the only hackers can do to access your myetherwallet is the phishing site they did. By doing this they can create replica of the home wallet similar to myetherwallet.com. To avoid always check myethewallet's link if it says MYETHERWALLET LLC [US] on the upper side of the page, It's like this screenshot

integrap

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:15:47 PM

It is important to keep safe your private key. So if somebody gets your private key, he can easliy open your wallet. Because there is no 2F authentication. Some people give their private key by mistake instead of giving public key. I use MEW for a long time but I have never experienced such a thing.

Warren Buffert

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:18:38 PM

Check your history and check the url used when you visited myetherwallet. Phishing scam probably.
tokexchain

Activity: 144

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:19:34 PM

There are many fakes of Myetherwallet, are you on one of the fake wallets that steal your money?

What is web wallet you are using?
Umkar

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:28:54 PM

I have been studying the issue of the security of the MyEtherWallet purse, all the time I am convinced that hackers can not crack the secret key of this wallet. Hacking this purse occurs, as a rule, through the fault of the users themselves. That is, or users go to similar websites (phishing sites), where they leave the data of their secret key, or in any other way, the data of the secret key becomes known to unauthorized people. In general, I think that this wallet is quite reliable and easy to use.
Mind Control

Activity: 224
Merit: 41

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:33:07 PM

The most common attempt of hacking MEW is by phishing. Someone out of nowhere will mail you about your account was compromised or something similar and will give you a link of myetherwallet. If you click that link, it will redirect you to a website similar to MEW. If you logged in using your private key then say goodbye to your ETH and ERC-20 tokens.

Some uses airdrop as a tool. They will intentionally ask for your private key and public key. They will indicate that your private key will be safe and will just be used in verifying if you truly own the public key you provided.

To avoid this from happening again I have some tips for you:
1. NEVER give your private key to anyone. Even though they claim to be someone reputable or known developer of the ICO (or anything) you participated in.
2. NEVER click MEW links in your e-mails. Go to the real website, bookmark it and always use your bookmark.
3. Use Metamask for higher securities.
4. If you'll view your balance, use etherscan or ethplorer instead. Refrain yourself from using MEW just to check balance.
5. ALWAYS check the address bar while accessing your MEW. Check the spelling of the url and check if "MYETHERWALLET LLC [US]" is present. This will ensure you that you're on the right site.
cryptocommoner

Activity: 112
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:48:17 PM

MEW is easy to hack compared to other conventional wallets because two factor authentication can't be used with MEW. That's the glitch of their process. You need to extensively use your private key to access and send funds. There are lot of articles available in reddit with similar hacking stories. So it is advisable not to keep very high amounts in MEW.

Also stop using etherdelta exchange. You need to export your private keys to that exchange and your activities are monitored through browser cookies. That is the reason why decentralized exchanges are not able to gain popularity. Their security are worst.

Read the below article and choose your wallets carefully. If you have a licenced version of internet security package installed in your system, choose a desktop client.

https://tokenmarket.net/what-is/ethereum-token-wallets/

Thank you for that great post.

One caveat is that you can use a hardware wallet on MEW without any hesitation.  The private keys are never transmitted or stored on cookies as the transaction goes through your ledger, trezor, or equivalent. 

The use of a hardware wallet on EtherDelta makes it very safe to use as well.  Decentralized exchanges are the future if proper precautions are put into place.  Zero fees sounds great to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: