Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:35:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-09-18: CoinTerra now accepting Cedit Card and Paypal Payment  (Read 1313 times)
dragonkid (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:17:15 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2013, 08:31:28 AM by dragonkid

It was announced today that CoinTerra now accept Credit card and Paypal Payment via mailing list.

Can we now trust CoinTerra?

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brox

Activity: 71

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 01:55:28 PM

As I understand, paypal protection works within 45 days after payment, and cointerra is not going to ship in that period. Am I wrong?

Save dolphins! Donate to 1BTC4brox2pd14QubXGsXwarp9zV9tc8CZ
Mine Bitcoins in the cloud at cex.io
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 01:57:12 PM

As I understand, paypal protection works within 45 days after payment, and cointerra is not going to ship in that period. Am I wrong?

Nah, much longer than that, CC payments can be charged back for 13 months AFAIK. Since PP charges your CC it can't be shorter.

dragonkid (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 03:36:14 PM

Nah, much longer than that, CC payments can be charged back for 13 months AFAIK. Since PP charges your CC it can't be shorter.

Cool, so it is pretty safe now. I think I am going to place order in a few days time. Need to wait till pay day.  Sad

hennessyhemp

Activity: 511
Merit: 500

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 03:43:51 PM

Any idea how that works if you have your paypal connected to your bank account info, not via credit card?  Seems like you might be subject to shorter terms.

Please add more BTC here (my son will apprecciate it when he's older): 14WsxbeRcgsSYZyNSRJqEAmB1MKAzHhsCT
StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:43:17 PM

Don't mean to rain on their parade, but there's no way Paypal will be okay with payments for "pre-orders". This probably won't last too long.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 06:26:36 PM

Credit card payment forced me to make a Paypal account, which I didn't want to do, so I canceled my order...

Anyone have success using credit card without using Paypal???

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 06:36:10 AM

Any idea how that works if you have your paypal connected to your bank account info, not via credit card?  Seems like you might be subject to shorter terms.

You're probably right. Didn't think about that.

Itcher

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 08:03:56 AM

ridiculous. To earn bitcoiners trust a company has to accept fiat.
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 11:15:48 AM

Heh, I don't think that large online transactions is where bitcoin shines.  I think people generally enjoy the consumer protections that come from using credit cards/paypal for large online transactions.

This is something that bitcoin will need to compete with.

I think there are enough small transactions to keep bitcoin relevant though...

Fold for spending BTCs

dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 12:31:19 PM

Or keep pre-order bitcoin payments in escrow...but don't see too many of them offering that...
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 12:40:13 PM

Or keep pre-order bitcoin payments in escrow...but don't see too many of them offering that...

I'm currently in a debate with other people about escrow.  Why do we trust escrow so much?

At a high level, if we charge 1.5% for escrow, and 1% for Bitpay transaction fees, how is this different from a 2.5% credit card transaction fee?

Perhaps we're saying the escrow could be 1% and/or the credit cards are higher than 2.5% so there's still savings, but is that the only argument? 

I guess there's still the identify theft issues; however, there's also consumer protections, so they are competitors, but I don't think it's a slam dunk.

I'm mainly just confused why escrow seems to be universally accepted as a safe thing.  We're bringing in a third party that we have to trust as well.  However, I haven't tried escrow... perhaps it's awesome and amazing, but I would think it's just another cost and/or party risk.

Fold for spending BTCs

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 12:55:12 PM

I'm currently in a debate with other people about escrow.  Why do we trust escrow so much?

At a high level, if we charge 1.5% for escrow, and 1% for Bitpay transaction fees, how is this different from a 2.5% credit card transaction fee?

Perhaps we're saying the escrow could be 1% and/or the credit cards are higher than 2.5% so there's still savings, but is that the only argument? 

I guess there's still the identify theft issues; however, there's also consumer protections, so they are competitors, but I don't think it's a slam dunk.

I'm mainly just confused why escrow seems to be universally accepted as a safe thing.  We're bringing in a third party that we have to trust as well.  However, I haven't tried escrow... perhaps it's awesome and amazing, but I would think it's just another cost and/or party risk.

Percentage fees are a thing of the past.
They won't last much longer, because when you think about it, in a truly open and competitive market they make no sense at all.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 01:07:02 PM

I'm mainly just confused why escrow seems to be universally accepted as a safe thing.  We're bringing in a third party that we have to trust as well.
You don't trust escrow as well, you trust them instead of the person on the other side of the trade. Big difference. Ultimately, you always have to trust someone (except, perhaps, for purely digital contracts, though that's still a ways off); escrow just gives you a choice of who to trust (presumably, people trust escrow more or they wouldn't pay extra for it). Of course, escrow is not necessary when dealing with reputable merchants, or at leasts ones that can be held legally accountable if things go wrong.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 01:11:43 PM

I'm mainly just confused why escrow seems to be universally accepted as a safe thing.  We're bringing in a third party that we have to trust as well.
You don't trust escrow as well, you trust them instead of the person on the other side of the trade. Big difference. Ultimately, you always have to trust someone (except, perhaps, for purely digital contracts, though that's still a ways off); escrow just gives you a choice of who to trust (presumably, people trust escrow more or they wouldn't pay extra for it). Of course, escrow is not necessary when dealing with reputable merchants, or at leasts ones that can be held legally accountable if things go wrong.

Hopefully the escrow functionality will be built into the standard bitcoin clients soon so that you can easily send escrow payments without having to use an "escrow services".  Basically just a transaction where 2 out of 3 parties have to agree the final coin destination (whether the coins go to the recipient or back to the sender).  That way you don't have to "trust" the escrow party, you only have trust that the escrow and recipient won't collude to rip you off...which is much more unlikely than a single party ripping you off.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 01:23:50 PM

It was announced today that CoinTerra now accept Credit card and Paypal Payment via mailing list.

Can we now trust CoinTerra?

I don't see how that's going to work out well for them... You have to take payment somehow if you have a business, but:

Quote from: PayPal Acceptable Use Agreement

Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

relate to transactions that (a) show the personal information of third parties in violation of applicable law, (b) support pyramid or ponzi schemes, matrix programs, other "get rich quick" schemes or certain multi-level marketing programs, (c) are associated with purchases of annuities or lottery contracts, lay-away systems, off-shore banking or transactions to finance or refinance debts funded by a credit card, (d) are for the sale of certain items before the seller has control or possession of the item, (e) are by payment processors to collect payments on behalf of merchants, (f), are associated with the sale of traveler's checks or money orders, (h) involve currency exchanges or check cashing businesses, or (i) involve certain credit repair, debt settlement services, credit transactions or insurance activities.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: