Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:05:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Experiences with Landlords  (Read 121 times)
paulwallyall (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 07:26:55 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2018, 07:45:22 PM by paulwallyall

What are some bad experiences you've had with landlords? Are laws more friendly to landlords or tenants in your country?

Just to name one; my landlord in college wanted to kick us out and we couldn't find out why. We paid the rent on time every month, never had a noise complaint and were overall pretty well-behaved.

Turned out, they got really annoyed that the lawn was overgrown and we cut it every three weeks instead of every two. It wasn't until the end of an hour phone call did I finally get the real reason they were upset!

I know people who have had many worse experiences.

I'm working on a project that will improve the way landlords and tenants connect and communicate which is why I'm interested in this topic.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kyle1921

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:51:39 PM

I had a bad landlord back in college. Super nice guy and really didn't find out he was a bad landlord until we were about to leave our house. We had put down a large security deposit at the time $750 or 1 months rent. When I went in I noticed there was alot of changes in the house such as a paper towel holder drilled into the wall or all the walls being painted a different color.

Wierdly enough he even had baseboard heaters on the celling. I don't know how that is safe but they were there and they worked. Part of the reason why I left that place as it never got warmer then 55 degrees in that house in the winter. Besides that when I left the house he charged ne for all those changes out of security deposit. I thought it was crazy as only an idiot would not notice them an I thought he was fully aware of those changes. To make it even more I couldn't fight it as I never marked any of those items on my pre inspection. I fought him for a while but only was able to get back $100.
zomgmike

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 08:10:02 PM

I've only had one bad experience with an actual landlord. I was clear to ask about all fees and pricing up front. When I moved out he tried to charge me a cancellation fee (have you even ever heard of that!?) by not returning the deposit. Fortunately he was honest enough to admit that he told me when I moved in that there was none.  Unfortunately he still only gave me half my deposit back, keep the other half as a cancellation fee. Kind of have to just take that one on the chin unless you want to escalate it to small claims court.  Then it's he said/she said.

In college though...man, they'd fine you for anything at the end of the year. Even stuff you didn't do.  Colleges are the worst land lords.
chokomenia

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

take & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:38:36 PM

The bad experience i have had with my landlord is telling who comes to my flat. My cousin brother who came from US decided to stay in my flat for a while because of the way he dress, American style and stuff like that, my landlord said my cousin should leave his house or he will thrown him out.

Mary Ofosuhene

Activity: 159
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:11:03 PM

I had a bad experience with a land lord way back in university. This happened after i had paid my accommodation fee which was suppose to include some room furniture and equipment. I deposited the money into the landlord's account and upon making arrangements to occupy the room, I went to meet empty room. I contacted the land lord about the situation only for him to tell me there was nothing left to be given to me. This experience sparked anger of which i had to exchange words with the landlord.
paulwallyall (OP)

Activity: 73

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 12:06:42 AM

The bad experience i have had with my landlord is telling who comes to my flat. My cousin brother who came from US decided to stay in my flat for a while because of the way he dress, American style and stuff like that, my landlord said my cousin should leave his house or he will thrown him out.

That's not right. Sounds like your landlord is overstepping their reach.
nderam

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:13:54 PM

We asked our landlord to fix a step in our apartment that seemed like it was super unstable.
They never fixed it, and one day my roommate was going down the stairs, fell through and fractured her foot.

Most college students would just back down at this point but since we had evidence that we had asked for the maintenance request we ended up suing...
Akany

Activity: 240
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 11:55:30 PM

What are some bad experiences you've had with landlords? Are laws more friendly to landlords or tenants in your country?

Just to name one; my landlord in college wanted to kick us out and we couldn't find out why. We paid the rent on time every month, never had a noise complaint and were overall pretty well-behaved.

Turned out, they got really annoyed that the lawn was overgrown and we cut it every three weeks instead of every two. It wasn't until the end of an hour phone call did I finally get the real reason they were upset!

I'm working on a project that will improve the way landlords and tenants connect and communicate which is why I'm interested in this topic.

Yea you are super correct, sometimes one just get hated by the Landlord for God knows reason.

I can't wait to see and achieve from this upcoming project of yours
atrocityx

Activity: 336
Merit: 71

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:00:52 AM

I recently moved out of an apartment in Los Angeles that I lived in for 10 years.. the landlord actually had the audacity to charge me to paint.. "This wall is dirty.. and this wall has a spot".. so i asked him "are you just going to paint this wall then or the whole thing?".  His response was "Sometimes if they are extra clean tenants we don't paint if they've lived there 3 years".. when I've been there 10.. Long story short is he charged me 575.00 to paint.. 410.00 to respray the tubs in the bathroom because the paint was chipping.. which lol.. how can I be responsible for the paint spray they put on before I moved in.. we're still going back and forth and the idea of litigation is still going through my head constantly.. I also have a rental unit and wouldn't DARE charge the tenant to paint after several years of living there unless there was holes/damage or if they used a really dark paint that I would have to primer coat or used oil based paint that would be hard to paint on without chipping. I find this ridiculous and am bothered daily even 2 months later at how aggovated this makes me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: