Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:51:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ALERT: Bitcoin Scam Modus Operandi  (Read 318 times)
ecnalubma

Activity: 1526
Merit: 420

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 02:11:39 AM

This is an incident involving someone trying t scam me. I understood the modus operandi and thought of sharing with the community so that it may help someone in the same situation.
long story short
Came across a facebook post in a group by someone who says that he will send bitcoins first and then come to a deal.
Out of curiosity, I sent him a pm asking about the deal.
He said, I need to provide the user id and password of blockchain account, he will send me 1 BTC. After receiving it, I have to send him back 0.5 btc.
Smelling something fishy, and wanted to understand what the catch is, I created a new wallet in blockchain and sent him the credentials.
Within a few minutes he asked me to check balance.
OMG OMG I was surprised to see the wallet balance 1 BTC.
Now he asks me to send him 0.5 BTC back as the deal was.
Now I checked the transaction history of the wallet, it was not a "received' amount; It was a random address imported (without private key, "Watch Only") and the last transaction was dated a fortnight ago.
Since it was imported without the private key, the balance shows in the wallet, but I don't have access to the fund.
Anyone without understanding the situation might think that he received 1 btc and send him 0.5 btc (which would be deducted if he had balance).
Sharing this with others so that no one falls in this kind of trap, even if the amount is small.

Just don't deal with that kind of people and never trust anyone, crypto is more valuable than money itself and attracts a lot of criminals in space. These lazy people will not stop, its very shameful that they do it for a living while laughing at their victims. As our technology becoming more advance they also upgrade their schemes, so always beware co'z they're everywhere.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:23:37 PM

I would say you are lucky not to finally lose your  money to that fraudster. Again, I would say you are smarter to have downloaded new wallet to send because if you had sent with your old wallet , perhaps you would have sent him the 0.5 he requested for after seeing the imaginary bitcoin.
Investors behavior is gradually changing towards ICOs, most are becoming smarter than before to know how to dig properly on a project before investing and not just do that blindly, so over time, we will definitely be seeing lesser ICOs with solid projects, and the new investors having the community to guide them in case they have no idea how things work.

The usual presale pattern though is changing like the OP mentioned, and we may get to a point, when big projects will rather look for big guys during presale who may have huge amount to invest while the common man wait to see if they have a chance for public sale.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
setupbounds

Activity: 910
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:58:23 PM

This explains why someone sent a Bitcoin to my friend and he wasn’t able to make use of it. Well, he wasn’t scammed… the person just sent him Bitcoin as a token, but he wasn’t able to use it, it was just a watch only. He tried sending it to someone else but he couldn’t send it, it kept on telling him that he doesn’t have any funds in his wallet.

Thanks for the info. I know no one would be stupid as to give out their wallet ID and password, but some people are stupid, trust me. Don’t mind those claiming to be wise.
jason meneses

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 02:15:02 PM

Just be careful to the people if you dont know..  If he or she offer you good.  Just try to ask your friends our someone who knows..  Now aday there's so many scammer ther have aiedrop but is fake just want to scum and others they run if the coin our sell..  And create nyo airdrop..
robotrobert

Activity: 406
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:54:33 AM

This is an incident involving someone trying t scam me. I understood the modus operandi and thought of sharing with the community so that it may help someone in the same situation.
long story short
Came across a facebook post in a group by someone who says that he will send bitcoins first and then come to a deal.
Out of curiosity, I sent him a pm asking about the deal.
He said, I need to provide the user id and password of blockchain account, he will send me 1 BTC. After receiving it, I have to send him back 0.5 btc.
Smelling something fishy, and wanted to understand what the catch is, I created a new wallet in blockchain and sent him the credentials.
Within a few minutes he asked me to check balance.
OMG OMG I was surprised to see the wallet balance 1 BTC.
Now he asks me to send him 0.5 BTC back as the deal was.
Now I checked the transaction history of the wallet, it was not a "received' amount; It was a random address imported (without private key, "Watch Only") and the last transaction was dated a fortnight ago.
Since it was imported without the private key, the balance shows in the wallet, but I don't have access to the fund.
Anyone without understanding the situation might think that he received 1 btc and send him 0.5 btc (which would be deducted if he had balance).
Sharing this with others so that no one falls in this kind of trap, even if the amount is small.

I honestly doubt. There would still be some anyway, but we should not be expecting too much. It seems most ICOs prefer going the whale-ish ways since at least they would see the market controlled to some extent rather than having some small owners play dump on the market as they like. Just my own assumptions anyway, or the way I see it, and I may be wrong. Pre-sales may end up going into extinction pretty soon for the general public.
tienigarazz

Activity: 253
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 02:28:55 PM

Thats the reason why some people are not interested in bitcoin, although it is starting to become popular. If you want to not get scam, just read first what is bitcoin (if you are a newbie). Then think first before you do something, always be wise in all of your decision. We cannot eliminate those scammers, but we can avoid them. So always becareful.

neonshium

Activity: 1134
Merit: 515

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 06:09:46 AM

These are the things why china ban the cryptpcurrency in thier country. A lot of chinese people involved in scam and that is according the news release within that country. This is how they work they involved in giving you btc and in return you have to give him btc as well. So if ever you are not techie about the btc you are receiving then probably you will send btc to that person and that is how they work. However, hacking bitcoin system may seem too complicated from its data decryption that could take many years before 1 btc to be cracked down. So BTC id more secure investment than any other investment. The only thing is thay these scammers had different kind of idea on scamming. So if ever someone has to offer good deals then do not forget that it may be related to scam.
The point the OP is making here is actually different and it is not generally about altcoins but ICO pre-sale. I have noticed this too recently, as we get to see some project going with the style of targeting the whales during presale. I really do not know why, but at the end, probably they prefer some group of whales occupying the huge position in the market like someone rightly said.

ICOs will always be as long as there are projects and innovations, but the presale thing for the public is gradually turning to something private.
yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 06:44:50 AM

I have been into this kind of scenario many times. I have been talking to several people on telegram related to crypto currency, and i received a lot of Private message asking that if i am an investor, but i'm not that too foolish to be hooked by that kind of trick, Everytime i experience this i always make a proof to it. Screenshot would be the best evidence tho. and then i will report to any groups with the screenshot pics, and guess what, those filthy scammers instantly change their name and Profile pic but not too wise, to change the conversation i have screenshot. so better to have evidence to any accusations for them to be known as scammer to others, but the best thing is to ignore. don't be fool nothing is free, especially crypto with the amount of 1 Btc. LOL.
GregH37
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1037

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 08:19:14 AM

I don't understand this topic.
Someone asked you password and wallet ID, you gave it to him and you are warning everyone not to do this?
Why would anyone share password and ID?
I just don't get it.
Yeah, we cannot really know the future, but from the trend that is going on now, I have seen some ICOs going big during pre-sales and looking for the big guys instead. And then you just get to see after the ICO that a lot has already been generated and just very little to go around to the public in that case. It is becoming glaring now that private sales are becoming available only for the big guys that have a lot to offer.
pingpangboy

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:22:26 AM

This is Trending Incident that what we have seen in daily transactions as bitcoin exists in daily life as bitcoin hiked the price according to the crypto we at http://8views.orgBTC beware of those fraudulent transactions . .
Millennium_blue

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:45:32 PM

I hear this for the first time.A terrible fraud. :/
Name: Claudio

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 11:00:54 PM

I was also confuse a little bit with the OP's topic, I hope he could elaborate more what happen or he can make the statement like a conversation style so we could understand it clearly.

As for the advice sending amount of BTC to someone and he promised to returned it in double, it is really fishy!!
jeronimosuykens

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 10:01:54 PM

Thanks for the description op of the scam but while I value the service, you took a great risk,the best way to avoid being scammed is to simply stay away from scammers do not listen to them, while I have never being scammed I understand very clearly they know their scam very well and that if I tried to be smarter than them I am the only one that is going to be hurt by it.
We should consider all our actions. Because small mistakes lead to many consequences. Especially they will affect the community. And when there are bad signals the report immediately to the community. First, get them notified. Secondly, someone may be able to support themselves with difficulties.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: