Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:27:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First commercial ASIC miner specifications and pre-launch  (Read 29286 times)
asicminer

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 02:48:35 AM

We will use epoxy coating sprayed onto the main channels and components. Removing it will destroy the hardware.

So we won't be able to see anything under this coating, but you still won't show a prototype? You really don't make much sense. Anything that the eyes can distinguish is trivial. It's the structure inside the ASIC that would be interesting. And it would take X-rays to see that.

Besides, there are ways of getting that epoxy sh*t off. I've heard a cappucino machine works well.

The prototype obviously isn't coated because it is still needed at it stands at this stage.
We will manage to show some screenshots of the control software in action.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xephan

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 02:55:22 AM

The prototype obviously isn't coated because it is still needed at it stands at this stage.

It doesn't take a lot to cook up a convincing looking UI without any actual hardware. USD 2700 isn't that small a sum after all so you'll need to provide a lot more evidence than that.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 02:57:11 AM

The reverse engineering risk doesn't exist. After your first unit is deployed, it's open season. I would think it's better to go for complete disclosure, thereby gaining the trust and commerce of dozens or hundreds than to appear shady and turn away thousands.
We will use epoxy coating sprayed onto the main channels and components. Removing it will destroy the hardware.
Why? The only thing that matters is the ASIC. What does it matter if people copy your other hardware if they still need your ASIC to make it work? And the hardest part of the ASIC, the mining itself, already has an FPGA design freely available. It would be more work to reverse engineer your work than to do it from scratch.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
dual6990s

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:00:04 AM

Fascinating.  I figured it would only be  a matter of time, who would have thought china would step up.....

Not like they are beating the US in production, manufacturing, owning all rare earth metal mines, and building a space station bigger then the ISS solo.

Good thing china is a 3rd world commie country, right republicans?
asicminer

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:03:15 AM

It doesn't take a lot to cook up a convincing looking UI without any actual hardware. USD 2700 isn't that small a sum after all so you'll need to provide a lot more evidence than that.

We will use Paypal for the final payment, you are risking 5 BTC.
asicminer

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:04:35 AM

The reverse engineering risk doesn't exist. After your first unit is deployed, it's open season. I would think it's better to go for complete disclosure, thereby gaining the trust and commerce of dozens or hundreds than to appear shady and turn away thousands.
Why? The only thing that matters is the ASIC. What does it matter if people copy your other hardware if they still need your ASIC to make it work? And the hardest part of the ASIC, the mining itself, already has an FPGA design freely available. It would be more work to reverse engineer your work than to do it from scratch.

The coating is on the ASIC itself, the control unit does not matter much, you are right.
rethaw

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:15:27 AM

If this isn't the most complex bitcoin scam I've seen yet...

1) Did they use the existing verilog? Will the original authors be compensated?

2) This nonsense about epoxying the board seems utter nonsense. One only does that when tampering is a security concern, in this case even the completely uninitiated understand this is not an intellectual property issue. The biggest cost of an ASIC are one-time engineering costs, this is NOT something you can gather by looking at components.

3) Wonder how hard it is to make a nice looking "control software"? Check out fakeminer.

Good luck, if this is a scam I'm sure they've already recouped all of their upfront costs!

haydent

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:25:38 AM

so why is the website hosted in France ?? (and a crap looking one at that)

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
newMeat1

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:26:49 AM

Are you sure you know what an ASIC is? It wouldn't be hard at all to post a picture but blurr out the interesting parts.

I've said enough against you for one day. Sorry about that. I think you should take JoelKatz up on his offer to ask you a few questions.

asicminer

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:29:28 AM

If this isn't the most complex bitcoin scam I've seen yet...

1) Did they use the existing verilog? Will the original authors be compensated?

2) This nonsense about epoxying the board seems utter nonsense. One only does that when tampering is a security concern, in this case even the completely uninitiated understand this is not an intellectual property issue. The biggest cost of an ASIC are one-time engineering costs, this is NOT something you can gather by looking at components.

3) Wonder how hard it is to make a nice looking "control software"? Check out fakeminer.

Good luck, if this is a scam I'm sure they've already recouped all of their upfront costs!

You must not know that it is possible to reverse engineer a pcb board only from a picture, and even a complex one. Determined people could definitely do that. All of the VHDL & Verilog code has been written partially by us and partially by the team we work with.
asicminer

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:32:35 AM

Are you sure you know what an ASIC is? It wouldn't be hard at all to post a picture but blurr out the interesting parts.

I've said enough against you for one day. Sorry about that. I think you should take JoelKatz up on his offer to ask you a few questions.

What would you get from a blurred picture? i tell you, nothing. It is only something your mind is asking you to do, you want have a visual proof this is real, it is understandable. Our ASIC sports a very compact design and components&channels are very visible on the board.
asicminer

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:34:19 AM

so why is the website hosted in France ?? (and a crap looking one at that)

why does it matter ? the domain was purchased with BTC from exoware.net
newMeat1

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:38:39 AM

Basically what we're saying is, "We're willing to be scammed. But you need to work a little harder at it."   Roll Eyes

indio007

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:42:08 AM

I have an idea , why don't you solve a block with your hardware.

Should take about 20 minutes with your 5 GH. You need to tell us the bitcoin address first. Then solve a block in a reasonable time  consistent with 5 GH and post the transaction hash of the solve so we can verify the address is the one you said it is.

That's real. simple. Solve a damn block or STFU.
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:44:40 AM

Should take about 20 minutes with your 5 GH. You need to tell us the bitcoin address first. Then solve a block in a reasonable time  consistent with 5 GH and post the transaction hash of the solve so we can verify the address is the one you said it is.

The average time to generate a block at 5000000 Khps, given current difficulty of 1564057.4508376 , is 2 weeks, 1 day, 13 hours, 11 minutes, and 55 seconds  Roll Eyes

asicminer

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:44:46 AM

We will see what we can do about this.
sunny day

Activity: 35

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:46:25 AM

Smells fishy. PRC is the People's Republic of China. Not Popular...WTF. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Republic_of_China you didnt spend 5 mins to google that sh*t??
asicminer

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:47:48 AM

Smells fishy. PRC is the People's Republic of China. Not Popular...WTF. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Republic_of_China you didnt spend 5 mins to google that sh*t??

we already addressed that, it was a typo. stop trolling
indio007

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:48:50 AM

Basically what we're saying is, "We're willing to be scammed. But you need to work a little harder at it."   Roll Eyes

Oooh... your right my bad... either way according to the link he has enough units to solve a block in a reasonable amount of time.
Xephan

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:09:38 AM

Basically what we're saying is, "We're willing to be scammed. But you need to work a little harder at it."   Roll Eyes

Oooh... your right my bad... either way according to the link he has enough units to solve a block in a reasonable amount of time.

He doesn't. There are solo miners with more GHash than he does.
According to his blog, he's got one single prototype, which may do up to 5GHash with all 10 cards or maybe he's only got one/two prototype cards and so only can do 500Mhash/s

What he's asking for is payment to PREORDER the machines, in order words, they aren't made yet and will only be delivered around August. Which might be long enough to make impossible to get back any money paid in anyway.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: