Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:26:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: correspondence poker for bitcoin  (Read 1063 times)
zachcope (OP)

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:50:29 PM

There is a 'correspondence poker' web site where one plays heads up poker on many different tables at once but with turn duration of 24 - 48 hours.

I was quite into it a few years ago. It works well on phones, commuting or on the loo!

Usually 20-30 tables per opponent.

If someone develops a bitcoin version I would be in.

(Move to gambling if more appropriate)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zachcope (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Sorry shameless bump as hoping someone will develop this one day.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 06:31:51 PM

I've thought about this mainly in the context of playing over TOR where normal speed poker isn't so practical. Perhaps allow moves to be made via email or a TOR site depending on the user's preference.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
zachcope (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:46:37 PM

Also would work for those who like to play on commute - update your hands twice a day, as well as those who would play a few hands on the toilet when other half isn't watching but still like to challenge named opponents. Easy to play over html on smartphone or tablet also.

TheVault

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 01:29:41 PM

Unlike correspondence chess where the state of the game is visible at all times, with poker, the state would need to be maintained on a server somewhere, and with 1 hand taking potentially a week, you'd be dependent on the server maintaining and not losing this information even during system updates. I guess the state of the game would be stored in a database. How would this be raked? As normal or at a higher fee? Is there a real market for this? The client would need to be browser based cos it's generally poker on the move?

What is the URL of the correspondence poker site?

addi

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

https://satoshibet.com

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 09:55:01 PM

I don't think poker is well suited to the idea you propose.

Agreed. There is this site apparently http://www.correspondencepoker.com/ which seems to attract some players, but to me it sounds incredibly boring for poker. Poker != Chess. And besides, 90% of the mistakes in poker are made because of the overly hasty decisions, we wouldn't want to get rid of that would we :p

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:11:24 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=274068.0;all

I'm running one now. Got 2 players. It's "forum based". And for you "real" bitcoin poker sites out there, you can use it as the basis for future implementation of "Provably Fair".

@zachcope, want to play?

I'm doing this more as testing. In the future, maybe I can do the correspondence thing as a website with servers and more than one table.

zachcope (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 12:36:00 PM

Unlike correspondence chess where the state of the game is visible at all times, with poker, the state would need to be maintained on a server somewhere, and with 1 hand taking potentially a week, you'd be dependent on the server maintaining and not losing this information even during system updates. I guess the state of the game would be stored in a database. How would this be raked? As normal or at a higher fee? Is there a real market for this? The client would need to be browser based cos it's generally poker on the move?

What is the URL of the correspondence poker site?

Obviously some kind of open source peer to peer system is best but I would be happy to play on a third party host. I can't see any problem with hosts retaining information on the state of a number of games - they do this in live play and don't forget account balances etc when they do system updates so this isn't a significant issue. Rake doesn't need to be high at all as the system / server loads would be very low. Note the hands don't have to be played sequentially, rather when in a match one can play 20-50 tables at time vs one opponent at 1/50th of your usual comfortable one table buy in.
The CPoker play site saw some quite serious play last time I checked. The experience is more cerebral and quite engaging as you are changing and balancing your play on many different tables against the same player over a period of days.

zachcope (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 12:38:11 PM

I don't think poker is well suited to the idea you propose.

Agreed. There is this site apparently http://www.correspondencepoker.com/ which seems to attract some players, but to me it sounds incredibly boring for poker. Poker != Chess. And besides, 90% of the mistakes in poker are made because of the overly hasty decisions, we wouldn't want to get rid of that would we :p

Actually that site had me quite enthralled for some time. The main problem was that it drew me back to heads up online play which is incredibly frustrating as it's full of people who play one hand then leave (bumhunters) even at the smallest stakes. That lead to playing at higher levels to find action and eventual crash and burn.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: