Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:34:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Religion is a plague  (Read 11768 times)
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 08:45:32 PM

Most moral laws in religions such as "You shall not murder." or "You shall not steal." are just common sense.

Of course it's common sense. I would not expect God's morality to be without sense, or without logic. SO where does morality come from then, if it makes sense? If morality makes, sense, then it must have an opposite: immorality, or the absence of sensibility. Sounds almost like a physical law to me.

Those moral laws are just human and independent from any religious beliefs, you can find the same moral laws (or norms and values) in every culture on this planet.

That's a very debatable suggestion. There are many examples in the world that prove that not all cultures naturally take on the same morals. In fact, cultures have been shown to abandon morality altogether many times though-out history. Morals are NOT a given, they come from a source OTHER than humanity.

The church claims the existence of an all-knowing and almighty creature or "it" called god without providing any proof for this claim and teaches it as fact, not as theory.

The proof is all around you, but scientists today ascribe it to evolution, an unscientific, magical ether with intelligent powers of foresight and design.

Don't lecture to Christians about fairy-tale unicorns and leprechauns and then tell us that DNA formed by itself through the magic of evolution.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 08:48:24 PM

The proof is all around you, but scientists today ascribe it to evolution, a magical ether with intelligent powers of foresight and design.

One need only look at the duck-billed platypus and see that Evolution has neither foresight, nor a design aesthetic. It uses what works, no more, no less.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:00:49 PM

The proof is all around you, but scientists today ascribe it to evolution, a magical ether with intelligent powers of foresight and design.

One need only look at the duck-billed platypus and see that Evolution has neither foresight, nor a design aesthetic. It uses what works, no more, no less.

That statement is easily disproved.

Platypus is purposefully and elegantly designed for life in the water:
 - webbed feet
 - nostrils on top of its beak to breathe in the water
 - can close its ears, eyes and nose when diving
 - its beak has electroreceptors to detect tiny electrical currents generated by its prey
 - it has cheek pouches to store caught prey so it doesn't have to eat in the water

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 09:19:45 PM

Congratulations, you are officially the first person EVER to use the words 'Platypus' and 'elegant' in the same sentence.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 09:31:31 PM

The biggest failure of evolution is having our food hole and breathing holes share the same tube. Anyone that's inhaled soda after reading some of the idiotic statist arguments on these forums probably knows what I mean.

I think the second biggest failure is having testicles dangling unprotected. It could have at least built a cage around them like my lungs have.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 09:33:09 PM

The biggest idiot move by evolution is having our food hole and breathing holes share the same tube. Anyone that's inhaled soda after reading some of the idiotic statist arguments on these forums probably knows what I mean.

Exactly. You'd think THE LORD GOD wouldn't make that sort of mistake, if he was in the design chair...

josell

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:49:12 PM

Why would an all-powerful God be dependent on OUR definition of him? That's an absurd concept. If God IS GOD, then surely he would define his own creation, not the other way around. And if he is only what you imagine him to be, then he exists only in your mind!
Of course God have been ever God, but it depends on our definition to accept him as God or not.

In the same way, a mountain will be a mountain wathever we have a word for it or not.

God bless us brother!
LeFBI

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:52:16 PM

The church claims the existence of an all-knowing and almighty creature or "it" called god without providing any proof for this claim and teaches it as fact, not as theory.
The proof is all around you
Prove the existence of a god scientifically and not with empty phrases. I could use the "proof is all around you" phrase exactly for my horny green unicorns (they are noble creatures!). That's not how scientific evidence is made.

but scientists today ascribe it to evolution, an unscientific, magical ether with intelligent powers of foresight and design.
"unscientific, magical ether"....lol :D
Evolution theory is as the name suggest a theory and is taught as such(in opposite to the church that teaches god as fact and not as theory) Also it has nothing to do with thread title and is offtopic. The evolutionary tree is empirical proven by analyzing genomes of the species. A theory, in a scientific matter, doesn't mean claim or "magic" how you called it... it means substantiated and documented observations with scientific methods, which in this case is done by biological scientist all around the world. Your statement "The proof is all around you" is none of that. You also can see evolution on the human being during the last centuries...we lost and still loose hair, we got and get taller, our pinky got and gets smaller. Go back even more in time and find out that by now we nearly lost the cecum because we heat our meals.

Don't lecture to Christians about fairy-tale unicorns and leprechauns and then tell us that DNA formed by itself through the magic of evolution.
Ah, so it's ok to say god exists without any evidence but if I say there are unicorns without any evidence it's a totally different thing just because i replaced the word god with something else? I say god is a fairy tale that was invented and used by humans to explain things that else couldn't be explained by the time. And evolution is not magic, it's adapting to to environmental conditions.

I think the second biggest failure is having testicles dangling unprotected. It could have at least built a cage around them like my lungs have.
^^^^^^^^this!....also they look ridiculous..... and boobs should be bigger by default!

Did anyone watch "Idiocracy"?
josell

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:56:21 PM

Did anyone watch "Idiocracy"?
for some reason, idiots think they are not.

In fact, median intelligence In IQ grows 2 points every decade. But some stupid people think they are better than others because of intelligenece. Those are idiots.

God is not a scientific theory; therefore, that idea is not based on scientific proof.
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:59:02 PM

Congratulations, you are officially the first person EVER to use the words 'Platypus' and 'elegant' in the same sentence.

I think platypus is cute.

But more to the point: you ignored the post and chose to twist the meaning.

That is essentially an acknowledgement that you can't refute the foresight and intelligence in the design of a Platypus. I'm glad you agree. Makes life easier. Its nice that we can get along.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 10:02:10 PM

"Intelligent design" makes America an amusing country.

I especially love how a banana is intelligently designed for our hands, with the 5 ridges, easy color coding for ripeness (green -> yellow), and a pull-top for peeling. Yay god!
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:10:37 PM

I especially love how a banana is intelligently designed for our hands, with the 5 ridges, easy color coding for ripeness (green -> yellow), and a pull-top for peeling. Yay god!

ugh. dont lump us all in with those idiots.
josell

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:19:54 PM

It is curious that some non-believers think that intelligent design is a greater threat to science than football, fashion, social presure, justin bieber, rock, drugs ... those things are worse than intelligent design, because they kill interest in science and other important things (like political issues that allow intelligent design). Intelligent design may be wrong, but at least not discourage science completely, as the above factors, which are not criticized by atheists for some curious reason. That is atheist hypocrisy. They only use science to defend their opinions instead of promoting science really.

More evidence? Japan younth is interested in technology, but not in science. However, in practice, Japaese are atheists.
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:21:22 PM

Prove the existence of a god scientifically and not with empty phrases. I could use the "proof is all around you" phrase exactly for my horny green unicorns (they are noble creatures!). That's not how scientific evidence is made.

Nothing unseen can be proven absolutely. You can only remove doubt. That IS how science works. I can't prove to you that God exists any more than you can prove that gravity is real. We can show proofs, and remove doubt, but absolutes are impossible.

Unicorns are a fantasy for children, didn't you know? The concept of an infinite God is an idea that is difficult even for adults to fully comprehend. I am having trouble convincing you, see? ;^)

Evolution theory is as the name suggest a theory and is taught as such(in opposite to the church that teaches god as fact and not as theory)

The church is not science class, it a place that worships God. Unlike the laboratory where they worship evolu......wait...

Also it has nothing to do with thread title and is offtopic. The evolutionary tree is empirical proven by analyzing genomes of the species.

Circular Reasoning. "Genome comes from evolution, which is proved by the genome."

Your statement "The proof is all around you" is none of that.

You're right! My statement is just a statement.

You also can see evolution on the human being during the last centuries...we lost and still loose hair, we got and get taller, our pinky got and gets smaller. Go back even more in time and find out that by now we nearly lost the cecum because we heat our meals.

I don't see evolution, which is supposed to make entirely new organisms. I do see genetic variance, and adaptation.

evolution is not magic, it's adapting to to environmental conditions.

What was the environmental condition that caused life, a shortage of humans?  Cheesy
How does evolution adapt? Magic? Where is evolution? What is the source? If it is non-physical, how does it impact physical matter?
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:25:15 PM

It is curious that some non-believers think that intelligent design is a greater threat to science than football, fashion, social presure, justin bieber, rock, drugs ... those things are worse than intelligent design, because they kill interest in science and other important things (like political issues that allow intelligent design). Intelligent design may be wrong, but at least not discourage science completely, as the above factors, which are not criticized by atheists for some curious reason. That is atheist hypocrisy. They only use science to defend their opinions instead of promoting science really.

More evidence? Japan younth is interested in technology, but not in science. However, in practice, Japaese are atheists.

ID has nothing to do with science. period.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 10:32:52 PM

How does evolution adapt? Magic? Where is evolution? What is the source? If it is non-physical, how does it impact physical matter?

So, you say evolution is made up and is not fact, and then point out that you don't even understand what it is or how it works? Oooookay then.
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:33:03 PM

nothing in ID has anything to do with science. period.

calling ID a threat to science is like saying greek mythology is a threat to astrology.  one is religion, the other is science

I actually agree with you. ID is a philosophy. Same as evolution.

josell

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:35:33 PM

ID has nothing to do with science. period.

ID is a biological hypothesis. Obviously it is wrong, but science grows making errors, not facts. Facts are the fruits of that effort. It's a miracle religion is using scientific method to get the truth rather than just the Biblia.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 10:35:45 PM

Um, is Technology to Science as Macroevolution to Microevolution? What's the difference?
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:38:02 PM

So, you say evolution is made up and is not fact, and then point out that you don't even understand what it is or how it works? Oooookay then.

Any scientist worth a can of beans will tell you, that yes, evolution is not fact, but theory.

I am asking these questions because no one can answer them, much less you.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: