Bitcoin Forum
September 25, 2018, 10:27:41 AM *
News: ♦♦ New info! Bitcoin Core users absolutely must upgrade to previously-announced 0.16.3 [Torrent]. All Bitcoin users should temporarily trust confirmations slightly less. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: APW3++ repair  (Read 75 times)
bbaize3

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 12:24:32 AM

Is it more cost effective to send the APW3 back to Bitmain for repair or just buy a new one? Or does anyone know where I could send it in the states
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1022

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 12:54:54 AM

Sending anything directly back to Bitmain is usually not very cost effective (especially with postage costs), and you're most likely better off purchasing a better power supply than the APW3. They're not great PSUs in the first place, and it's easy to find server PSUs with the same power or more around the same price. With server PSUs you can either get a breakout board and put connectors onto it or find pinouts for the PSU and solder on connectors yourself.

.FORTUNE.JACK.
      ▄▄███████▄▄
   ▄████▀▀ ▄ ██████▄
  ████ ▄▄███ ████████
 █████▌▐███▌ ▀▄ ▀█████
███████▄██▀▀▀▀▄████████
█████▀▄▄▄▄█████████████
████▄▄▄▄ █████████████
 ██████▌ ███▀████████
  ███████▄▀▄████████
   ▀█████▀▀███████▀
      ▀▀██████▀▀

█
...FortuneJack.com                                             
...THE BIGGEST BITCOIN GAMBLING SITE
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄██
█████████▀███████████▄
██████████▀   ▀██████████
█████████▀       ▀█████████
████████           ████████
████████▄   ▄ ▄   ▄████████
██████████▀   ▀██████████
 ▀██
█████████████████████▀
  ▀██
███████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
#JACKMATE
WIN 1 BTC
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀░░▀░░░░░▀░░▀███████
██████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████░░░░██░░░██░░░░██████
█████▌░░░░▀▀░░░▀▀░░░░▐█████
██████▄░░▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄░░▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████

▀█████████████████████████▀
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:47:07 PM

Bitmain now has a service center in southern california. The wait times and shipping costs have been dramatically reduced.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Raymond_B

Activity: 252
Merit: 34

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 04:52:05 PM

Is it more cost effective to send the APW3 back to Bitmain for repair or just buy a new one? Or does anyone know where I could send it in the states

Even with the US service center mentioned you're looking at shipping a $105.00 PSU back and forth. Not counting the cost of repairs. Here's one from Amazon for $199.00 and it qualifies for Prime. http://amzn.to/2EHArB9

So add that up, also if you do not have a spare your miner is down all that time making zero $$$

fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:36:33 PM

Even with the US service center mentioned you're looking at shipping a $105.00 PSU back and forth. Not counting the cost of repairs. Here's one from Amazon for $199.00 and it qualifies for Prime. http://amzn.to/2EHArB9

So add that up, also if you do not have a spare your miner is down all that time making zero $$$

The bitmain APW3 is a terrible power supply. Telling someone to pay double retail for one is just plain mean. There are so many better options out there.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 05:38:14 PM

The bitmain APW3 is a terrible power supply. Telling someone to pay double retail for one is just plain mean. There are so many better options out there.

Not "telling" or advising either way, just comparing the pricing.

ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 266
Merit: 36

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:41:57 PM

I would never buy a Bitmain product from anywhere other than Bitmain. 

Note that Amazon is not sourcing that miner, its just somebody reselling/scalping though Amazon.  Stories abound of people buying batches of Bitmain goods, keeping the cream, and selling off the rest just to do it again.   For instance, if I was unscrupulous, I could sell off APW3++ power supplies that only started at 60F+ - they would look like new, and would likely run for most.  No well to tell if a power supply has been "tested" by the seller...

I mine bitcoin for a living, and I mine at Kano.is!
Blokforge Affiliate:  https://blokforge.com/?ref=21
Linux since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 06:49:08 PM

I would never buy a Bitmain product from anywhere other than Bitmain. 

Note that Amazon is not sourcing that miner, its just somebody reselling/scalping though Amazon.  Stories abound of people buying batches of Bitmain goods, keeping the cream, and selling off the rest just to do it again.   For instance, if I was unscrupulous, I could sell off APW3++ power supplies that only started at 60F+ - they would look like new, and would likely run for most.  No well to tell if a power supply has been "tested" by the seller...

While I agree Bitmain should come from Bitmain in the case of the miners themselves, I was simply trying to illustrate the economics of being down for that length of time, paying for shipping both ways and a repair vs picking one up with Prime from Amazon. The PSU I linked is fulfilled (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=olp_offerlisting?ie=UTF8&nodeId=106096011&pop-up=1) by Amazon. So with Prime you can have it in ~ 2 days *and* have some sort of Amazon protection.

I've done that exact same thing before with no issues.

Now AGAIN, I am not arguing the merits of the unit, simply thinking through the economics of repair vs a new one of the same brand and spec.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.