Bitcoin Forum
October 18, 2024, 10:29:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Risers 103c fried my GPU's, be aware  (Read 475 times)
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:10:12 AM

It is always better using molex directly from PSU to power risers, using Sata conectors is a bad idea, not recomended.

molex riser is not a good idea either, they tend to burn espacially with AMD Cards.

any riser will burn if you connect it improperly/overload the lines, regardless of connector type.
SCSI2

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:15:29 AM

also, personally my own little tip is to get risers with 4 capacitors (your burned ones have three i see)
those tend to handle loads better
I mean, SATA is a bad idea always imo anyways, go PCI-E for no worries, but get better risers man, they are a big failure point

Lesson Learned! Smiley

I would not judge the quality or load handling capacity of a riser board by the number of capacitors mounted on it. There is little if any benefit of having extra 220uF hanging on a 3.3V rail which sees minimal load. Quality of those caps is highly questionable to be honest.

Obviously I'm saying this based on what I see on the picture in OP. While it's definitely a new and likely better design, their sloppy design decisions tell a lot about quality. For example, looks like they wanted to mount a fuse on the input 12V rail, but ended up placing a diode instead (part labeled F1). This will result in measurable sag on the 12V rail. Then, instead of a diode (D5) they have a large ceramic capacitor mounted, which may help with stability of the DC-DC converter. D6, D7 and D8 also look like caps to me and diodes don't belong there anyway. Its hard to say, but I bet it was an amateur job. Still beats the ugly VER006C we all use and pretty happy with and it even comes with an LED lol.

The VER:008C looks a lot better and at least comes with all parts mounted matching the silkscreen designators... Note that I haven't tried them yet. Just going by the looks...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: