Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:54:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Self Hosting vs Colocation  (Read 513 times)
.F. (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 02:11:25 PM

ALSO...is it true people are only making $11 / day off an S9? Why do I see posts of people making $20+?

Because difficulty...

At todays diff with $0.10 elec and 2% pool fees, net profit is estimated somewhere south of $10 a day according to coinwarz.

There was a time when they made $20 a day when difficulty was lower.  If you are getting older info it may have been accurate at the time but not now.

You do understand there is a really strong likely hood diff will continue to increase for quite some time to come right?  You don't seem to grasp the relationship between diff and revenue generated.

I grasp that relationship. What I am saying is that I was noticing people, as recently as a week or two ago, posting on here saying they are making $20+ a day on their S9s (and even showing their slushpool accounts for verification). I'll try to find the link

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 02:17:36 PM

ALSO...is it true people are only making $11 / day off an S9? Why do I see posts of people making $20+?

Because difficulty...

At todays diff with $0.10 elec and 2% pool fees, net profit is estimated somewhere south of $10 a day according to coinwarz.

There was a time when they made $20 a day when difficulty was lower.  If you are getting older info it may have been accurate at the time but not now.

You do understand there is a really strong likely hood diff will continue to increase for quite some time to come right?  You don't seem to grasp the relationship between diff and revenue generated.

I grasp that relationship. What I am saying is that I was noticing people, as recently as a week or two ago, posting on here saying they are making $20+ a day on their S9s (and even showing their slushpool accounts for verification). I'll try to find the link

Taking a snapshot of a single time in mining is not a good way to project future earnings.

Things like pool luck, tx fees and things can sway the super short term numbers significantly.

Review their posts and DTM, diff is easy to find on the day and plug it into a calculator to verify.
ricknamer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:06:48 PM

Because difficulty...

Keep in mind luck.

On Slush a single Antminer S9 would have generated 0.00191022 BTC on 02/19, 0.001126926 on 02/18 and .00059394 on 02/17  So luck will count for a lot of variance.

That being said - it isn't right to quote mining profits like that in USD.  You should be quoting them in BTC.  If BTC goes back to $17,000 or $1.70 tomorrow(yes - obvious exaggeration) - USD comparisons won't make any sense.
mineintx

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 04:54:54 AM

Because difficulty...

Keep in mind luck.

On Slush a single Antminer S9 would have generated 0.00191022 BTC on 02/19, 0.001126926 on 02/18 and .00059394 on 02/17  So luck will count for a lot of variance.

That being said - it isn't right to quote mining profits like that in USD.  You should be quoting them in BTC.  If BTC goes back to $17,000 or $1.70 tomorrow(yes - obvious exaggeration) - USD comparisons won't make any sense.

Here is my actual numbers..   Screen shot on 2/21/18.

I have 5   S-9 running..  Slushpool.

https://imgur.com/a/9LF1l

So my estimated revenue per day is 0.00579481 BTC   (for 5 miners)

Which as of today is $ 62.06 in USD.   This does not include costs , such as electricity.

Yep expect about $ 11 per miner at todays exchange rate.

IF it were easy, everyone would be doing it..

(Note. keep in mind you are making BTC.  Fee to transfer to USD Wallet.  Then Fee to transfer to your bank!! FEES FEES FEES)

.F. (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:07:26 PM

This is awesome, thank you! Have you tried out Kano vs Slush Pool (or antminer) to see which one is 'more lucky'?

Also, I didn't realize there were bank transfer fees. How much do you pay and any way to possible avoid
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:52:42 AM

This is awesome, thank you! Have you tried out Kano vs Slush Pool (or antminer) to see which one is 'more lucky'?

Also, I didn't realize there were bank transfer fees. How much do you pay and any way to possible avoid
Luck isn't what you want to look at when considering pools as it comes and goes with the wind. Smaller pools like Kano have more variance, which is the reason why the month's not been so great there recently. It's better to look at their actual fees and payment methods. Slush has a ~2% flat fee on mining IIRC and Kano takes just 0.9%. Kano's always paid better for me.
shellyfinest

Activity: 94
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 06:16:49 PM

Hi F,
I saw here you talking about colocation for miners and I'm shopping that now too (working with a broker to get quotes)... I'm seeing quotes in the $125-$135 range per unit that you were talking about (plus there's some initial setup fees), and seems like Canada has some colocation cheaper than the US so I'm looking at that too...I'm in the US...  tried to direct message you but maybe you'll see this here...

Anyway, I saw you mentioned synergyisp.com in the thread.  Are you hosting there now?  Any reviews or issues there?  Have you found any other spots that look good for hosting?

Thanks for any shared info
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: