Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:09:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with offline wallet!!  (Read 90 times)
Viellefox1025 (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:06:23 AM

Hi guys,

I need help for the following;
1. Where can i get an offline wallet?
2. Is it more secure than an online wallet?
3. Can a wallet hold not just Bitcoin but also Alt Coin?

Thanks in advance....
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lovecove

Activity: 161
Merit: 38

(Thank you for all the merit =) ) ~Lovecove!

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:16:45 AM

1. You should really get an offline wallet by installing a bootable Ubuntu OS into your keydrive and then rebooting your computer into this clean OS and then downloading and syncing with bitcoin core. After that, it should be fairly simple to create a new wallet.

2. It's a lot more secure than an online wallet.... while it's offline. As soon as you reveal your private key by putting it into a hot wallet that's connected to the internet, that potentially lowers security because of potential malware on the computer/wallet.

I mean, it might still be safe and no one might know your private key because your PC doesn't have any keyloggers or snooping malware... but you never really know. The NSA is monitoring all internet data... so no doubt, somwehere, the info you sent from your wallet could be cached in a governmental server.

But to stay safe, you can always just never input your private key. If you send bitcoin to the addresses associated with your private key, your bitcoin becomes associated with that private key.

Only reveal your private key when you absolutely must use/sell that bitcoin.

3. Right now bitcoin doesn't hold any smart contracts. But bitcoin addresses always are subject to forking. So whenever bitcoin forks, your address becomes cloned and you get an identical amount of the forked coins. Of course that doesn't mean your current bitcoin address holds the forked coins -- it's just that the forked coin chain has an identical address & private key.

Visit now if you're interested in buying these domains: EtherMining.org, CryptoMovement.org, Bitcoiner.Co
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 05:33:51 AM

Hi guys,

I need help for the following;
1. Where can i get an offline wallet?
2. Is it more secure than an online wallet?
3. Can a wallet hold not just Bitcoin but also Alt Coin?

Thanks in advance....

1. There are many floating around the internet. Just make sure you check their legitimacy first. For Bitcoin specifically, I'd recommend Electrum, which you can use as an offline wallet by following these instructions: http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/coldstorage.html

2. Yes. It's much harder to take coins out of them after all. You normally have to go through a number of hoops, so the same goes for any potential hacker.

3. Wallets can typically only hold coins they're designed for. If you want to hold different types of coins in a single wallet, you likely have to use an online one.

compimprove

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:42:37 AM

Thanks for your information.
King Pajeet

Activity: 40
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:19:51 AM

Remember that if you want an offline wallet, you will need to download the entire blockchain which I think is over 200gb.

● ALAX.io  | The Blockchain App Store Designed for Gamers
█ ██████████ █       TGE    17th Apr    █ ██████████ █
J_CCreate
Copper Member

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:26:29 AM

1. You can have a look at Ledger Nano S or Trezor
2. In some cases, but it`s definitely better than keeping them on the exchangers
3. Yes, Ledger Nano supports these currencies : BTC , BCH , BTG, ETH , ETC , LTC , DOGE , ZEC , XRP , DASH , STRAT , KMD , ARK , EXP , UBQ , VTC , VIA , NEO , XST , XLM , HSR, DGB , QTUM , PIVX
FierceChan

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 11:12:31 AM

Remember that if you want an offline wallet, you will need to download the entire blockchain which I think is over 200gb.

And update each time you connect, I assume? I mean, download the blocks found after the latest sync
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 02:03:52 PM

No. You can simply generate a paper wallet from https://www.bitaddress.org/, then simply deposit on the adress given. I believe you can simply import the private keys into something like electrum, sign an offline transaction, and broadcast it with something like https://coinb.in/

This might also be an interesting read. http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/coldstorage.html

And update each time you connect, I assume? I mean, download the blocks found after the latest sync

Then what's the point of having an offline wallet? This is just a regular core wallet you guys are talking about.. ?

Bailsman

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 03:52:26 PM

Then what's the point of having an offline wallet? This is just a regular core wallet you guys are talking about.. ?

Only 100% security during the moment it's not connected to the network (means almost all of the time).

Plus enhanced security for everyday use: printed pkey is also kinda offline wallet, so the more options you have to access your wallet, the better. I'm saying like your regular app, encrypted and obfuscated key somewhere in iCloud, on your NAS at home, printed and saved in safe or bank cell etc — all of it simultaneously.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: