Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:14:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Disruptive Disintermediation"  (Read 1798 times)
Vladimir (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:00:46 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2011, 03:33:01 PM by Vladimir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu3919IUrb8

Well done both Amir (Jentix) and Max. It's like a breath of fresh air, finally an intelligent discussion on "tv".

-
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shady financier

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

etcetera

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:59:18 PM

It's a shame that Amir Taaki bloke was interviewed. He doesn't say interesting things, he speaks as if every sentence is a question, he confuses instead of clarifies... it's a dire shame Gavin Anderson or one of the other more 'grown-up' talking-heads on bitcoin wasn't on the show instead.

There were many good points that could have been made here that were not. Max managed to cover for him in the interview but I hope Max will still take bitcoin seriously and will discuss bitcoin on his show again.

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
MrJoshua

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:52:25 PM

It's a shame that Amir Taaki bloke was interviewed.

Yeah, man that's an aggravating interview.  Just answer the question! 

The value of bitcoins is not a theory, predictions of it's failure are what is theoretical.
Aristotle

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:28:36 PM

Off-Topic:  Why does it seem there are a lot of people on the internet that watch a news station funded by the Russian government?
Vladimir (OP)

-

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:30:45 PM

Because it is not funded by Murdock, maybe?

-
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:33:27 PM

Off-Topic:  Why does it seem there are a lot of people on the internet that watch a news station funded by the Russian government?

Good reporting and interesting reports surprisingly enough. I used to watch a news station funded by the British government but it was so smug and self-satisfied in its crapness I couldn't anymore.

Now I watch Al Jazeera, RT, the British State News Organ and Corporate American channels too. In this colorful mix I hope to find clues as to what's really going on.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:36:47 PM

murdoch is why i don't even own a TV anymore, and haven't for over ten years.

he has probably done more damage to civilization than any other single entity in all of recorded history.
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 05:58:06 PM

Yeah because Putin is all kittens and doesn't want to distract from Russia's very real problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)
However, much of the funding to this organization, ANO TV-Novosti, is injected from the Russian Federal Budget (2.4 billion rubles in 2007).
RT has been criticized as having pro-Putin and Soviet bias, advancing conspiracy theories, featuring radical commentators and promoting an extremist and anti western agenda, including support for fundamentalist Islamic propaganda. Some of these allegations have been acknowledged by the TV station, claiming them to be legitimate for an alternative TV station

Alternatives are good, biased FUD for the sake of a nation states purposes is no better then that they claim to be an alternative to.
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:14:50 PM

Yeah because Putin is all kittens and doesn't want to distract from Russia's very real problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)
However, much of the funding to this organization, ANO TV-Novosti, is injected from the Russian Federal Budget (2.4 billion rubles in 2007).
RT has been criticized as having pro-Putin and Soviet bias, advancing conspiracy theories, featuring radical commentators and promoting an extremist and anti western agenda, including support for fundamentalist Islamic propaganda. Some of these allegations have been acknowledged by the TV station, claiming them to be legitimate for an alternative TV station

Alternatives are good, biased FUD for the sake of a nation states purposes is no better then that they claim to be an alternative to.

What do you think Russia gains from reporting on these 'conspiracy theories', the triumph of communism?

When you want a critical eye cast on Western affairs watch RT. When you want a critical eye cast on Russian affairs watch something else.

News from different perspectives is valuable.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 06:32:16 PM

'the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”'

You can't define a word using the same word you are defining is the definition. There is no value in that.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:55:31 PM

'the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”'

You can't define a word using the same word you are defining is the definition.

I noticed that too. Nonetheless I like the statement.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

RandyMarsh

Activity: 237

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 07:04:58 PM

It's a shame that Amir Taaki bloke was interviewed. He doesn't say interesting things, he speaks as if every sentence is a question, he confuses instead of clarifies... it's a dire shame Gavin Anderson or one of the other more 'grown-up' talking-heads on bitcoin wasn't on the show instead.

There were many good points that could have been made here that were not. Max managed to cover for him in the interview but I hope Max will still take bitcoin seriously and will discuss bitcoin on his show again.

This guy is the master of tangents, he barley answered one question directly even though the interviewer was asking all the perfect, easy answer, 'bitcoin is great' type questions. facepalm

Stan?! STAN?!?!
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 07:39:46 PM

What do you think Russia gains from reporting on these 'conspiracy theories', the triumph of communism?
Distraction from a conspiracy far more open and blatant then anything we have in the west. Oligarchs with empires that dwarf other countries rich and powerful, open and explicit political corruption, all in a country that contains one of the largest divides between rich and poor in the world. Interesting that you mention communism, things were much the same back then, just the names were different.

When you want a critical eye cast on Western affairs watch RT. When you want a critical eye cast on Russian affairs watch something else.

News from different perspectives is valuable.

And I don't disagree, but personally I feel that RT is blowing as much smoke up my ass as Fox, but at least on Fox I get a freak show on the side for free.

RT is a piss poor attempt to capitalize on the Alex Jones demographic, no different to Murdochs rags capitalizing on people who can't read words 10 letters or longer.

Fuck news organisations full stop, we have the internet, it gave us openness, transparency, freedom, /b/, bitcoin and the Arab Spring to mention a few.

lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 07:45:52 PM

Well done both Amir (Jentix) and Max. It's like a breath of fresh air, finally an intelligent discussion on "tv".

Vladimir -- just curious, what did you like about this interview?
flug

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 08:25:13 PM

+1
Vladimir (OP)

-

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:17:41 PM

Vladimir -- just curious, what did you like about this interview?

For starters nothing was blatantly incorrect (which is already refreshing). Max was great, as usual. Surely there is not much new for us was said there but for many people who hear about bitcoin for the first time this could be just that little push they need to type bitcoin into google search box.

I am looking at this not from point of view of my personal education about bitcoin but from point of view of bitcoin publicity.

I also like this term they coined "Disruptive Disintermediation".  Grin

-
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:23:47 PM

I liked the interview.

Max really does seem to get what it's all about, especially that Bitcoin shares some characteristics with gold.

Amir didn't give direct answers to some of Max's questions, but it wasn't supposed to be an interrogation. Amir made some very good points, and he always got around to answering Max eventually (although it would have been better without the detour into explaining Linux).
kiko

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:58:47 PM

This guy is the master of tangents, he barley answered one question directly even though the interviewer was asking all the perfect, easy answer, 'bitcoin is great' type questions. facepalm

^^this.

I have a great deal of respect for Amir in setting up Britcoin, but that's twice now I've seen him do a complete disservice to bitcoin in front of a very large potential audience. The other being that Amsterdam payments conference video.  Both times I could not stop hearing "And this one time...at band camp..." 

It's tough on the guy as a young programmer thrust in front of a camera, but this early stage exposure is too important to mess up.  We might not get another shot at mainstream tv. sigh. Why don't they invite Rick Falkvinge on to talk about bitcoin? Odds on he would knock softball questions like those out of the park.

This is why the weusecoins animation style video are so much more valuable, it takes the showmanship out of the equation. People intrinsicly trust a voice over Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: