Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:13:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining from 10 year old PC possible ?  (Read 675 times)
pickleburglar

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 08:23:00 PM

A GTX 1080 ti is VERY cost effective on merged folding - probably the best card to use for that - *IF* you have a folding-optimized rig.

On ZEC, they're very close on hash/watt vs ANY member of the GTX 10xx family when all are operated at "most efficient" settings, and they've usually been very close on a "rig-level" basis on hash/$.

THE most cost effective, no - but not all that far off it and some folks are willing to pay a small premium for the higher rig density they offer (and lower time spent managing those rigs on LARGE farms).

The numbers probably vary if you're not in the US - some areas might charge more of a "premium" for the higher-end cards than we usually see here.

They are cool cards for sure but for mining purposes, the only thing that matters is cost efficiency and they fail pretty hard there.
blacktux88

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2018, 08:35:47 PM

If i were you i would invest in cloud mining ....

thanks

Somebody can please help me for making my old PC into a gpu mining rig.

My PC specs.

Motherboard : gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2
2 PCIE slots : 1 PCIEx16 & 2 PCIEx1
Processor : AMD Phenom ii x6 1045T
Hard drive : 1TB HDD
Ram : 4gb
PSU : 200W

I am going to buy 2 asus rog strix gtx 1080 ti OC will it work on my built ?
Do I need to modify or completely upgrade to a new system ?
Also can I go with 1 gtx titan volta instead of 2 asus strix gtx 1080 ti oc ?

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:46:58 AM

A GTX 1080 ti is VERY cost effective on merged folding - probably the best card to use for that - *IF* you have a folding-optimized rig.

On ZEC, they're very close on hash/watt vs ANY member of the GTX 10xx family when all are operated at "most efficient" settings, and they've usually been very close on a "rig-level" basis on hash/$.

THE most cost effective, no - but not all that far off it and some folks are willing to pay a small premium for the higher rig density they offer (and lower time spent managing those rigs on LARGE farms).

The numbers probably vary if you're not in the US - some areas might charge more of a "premium" for the higher-end cards than we usually see here.

They are cool cards for sure but for mining purposes, the only thing that matters is cost efficiency and they fail pretty hard there.

No, they do NOT fail hard on cost efficiency - at the RIG level they are pretty much to a TOSSUP with any other GTX 1070/1070ti/1080 mode - unless you are defining "fail pretty hard" as "more than a percent or two difference".

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
pickleburglar

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 05:05:23 AM

No, they do NOT fail hard on cost efficiency - at the RIG level they are pretty much to a TOSSUP with any other GTX 1070/1070ti/1080 mode - unless you are defining "fail pretty hard" as "more than a percent or two difference".

Sounds like you got high rig cost problems. With the plethora of mining specific hardware available these days, anyone can get their slot cost down to at least €25, including power.

Its around 15% worse than a 1070 in terms of cost efficiency which in turn is worse than the 1060 and not to mention all the polaris cards. I'd call that failing pretty hard.
john1010

Activity: 2086
Merit: 562

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 07:57:27 AM

You can use the aging pc if you see that all of the requirement in mining are in there,

1. Is there an extra pcie slot for another gpu? (atleast it have 2-3 pcie slots onboard)
2. Upgrade your PSU atleast 500-750w for 3gpu

2gb of ram is okay, you can add it from virtual memory

and the rest is not necessary.. Goodluck!!
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 07:22:32 PM

Sounds like you got high rig cost problems. With the plethora of mining specific hardware available these days, anyone can get their slot cost down to at least €25, including power.

Its around 15% worse than a 1070 in terms of cost efficiency which in turn is worse than the 1060 and not to mention all the polaris cards. I'd call that failing pretty hard.

$25 WITH power is NOT a reasonable number, unless you are using total JUNK for power supplies or used parts - but even the BARE CARD figures on the 1080 ti keep it close to the other GTX high-end cards on cost efficiency unless YOU are getting charged insane amounts for the 1080 ti compared to the others.

SHOW ME a system that manages $25 per slot with NEW parts - I really would like to see that.

Then show me what kind of crazy rip-off pricing you're seeing on 1080 ti cards vs 1070/1070ti/1080.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
pickleburglar

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:03:25 AM

$25 WITH power is NOT a reasonable number, unless you are using total JUNK for power supplies or used parts - but even the BARE CARD figures on the 1080 ti keep it close to the other GTX high-end cards on cost efficiency unless YOU are getting charged insane amounts for the 1080 ti compared to the others.

SHOW ME a system that manages $25 per slot with NEW parts - I really would like to see that.

Then show me what kind of crazy rip-off pricing you're seeing on 1080 ti cards vs 1070/1070ti/1080.

Ain't my job to build your rigs for you but its easy enough - get one of them 8 slot integrated cpu/ram mining boards from a random chinese estore, add 2 midrange PSU's and a little ssd and you're done. 1080ti's can be had for ~€700 and 1070's for ~€450 over here. Comparing to a 1070 is silly though when there's piles of ~€220 polaris cards clogging up every local auction site and the prices keep falling. Was pretty much the same price relationship when the card prices were still high, just around 50% higher.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 08:55:31 PM

Ain't my job to build your rigs for you but its easy enough - get one of them 8 slot integrated cpu/ram mining boards from a random chinese estore, add 2 midrange PSU's and a little ssd and you're done. 1080ti's can be had for ~€700 and 1070's for ~€450 over here. Comparing to a 1070 is silly though when there's piles of ~€220 polaris cards clogging up every local auction site and the prices keep falling. Was pretty much the same price relationship when the card prices were still high, just around 50% higher.

2 650 watt power supplies from a QUALITY maker alone are going to be $200 give or take $20 - which already uses up your $25 per slot claim.
There is also the VERY POOR COOLING of those 8-slot motherboards to keep in mind, unless you're running water-cooled or hybrid MORE EXPEN$IVE cards you're going to have MAJOR issues with high heat on anything past a RX 460 or GTX 1060, or you're going to have to add a lot of high-power fans (and MORE power draw to run them, as well as the cost) to keep the GPUs even close to cool - adding to the "per slot" cost of the rig.

I don't see $220 Polaris cards around here, the lowest I've seen for decent mining GPUs in the last 9+ months was $200 for one seller with a couple used R9 290 cards (and a phone number they NEVER got around to answering, so I don't know if the posting was legitimate) while the Polaris cards have been listing for MORE than Newegg NEW pricing the past month ($339 lowest current offering on Newegg, a Sapphire Nitro+ model, while most of the Craigslist postings have been over $450 with a very few between $400 and $450 on ANYTHING Polaris).
I suspect that's due to this area having VERY CHEAP electric though - people are NOT shutting down rigs here - while your area has quite a bit higher electric pricing.

On ZEC, a 1080 ti will easily exceed 680 sol/s with good efficiency and can get to almost 800 on good-cooling cards if you push them, while 1070s struggle to beat 400 sols with good efficiency and you're VERY lucky to beat 450 sols/sec by much when pushed hard - the performance vs cost numbers USING YOU PRICE FIGURES work out pretty bloody close.

pickleburglar

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 07:57:12 AM

2 650 watt power supplies from a QUALITY maker alone are going to be $200 give or take $20 - which already uses up your $25 per slot claim.
There is also the VERY POOR COOLING of those 8-slot motherboards to keep in mind, unless you're running water-cooled or hybrid MORE EXPEN$IVE cards you're going to have MAJOR issues with high heat on anything past a RX 460 or GTX 1060, or you're going to have to add a lot of high-power fans (and MORE power draw to run them, as well as the cost) to keep the GPUs even close to cool - adding to the "per slot" cost of the rig.

I don't see $220 Polaris cards around here, the lowest I've seen for decent mining GPUs in the last 9+ months was $200 for one seller with a couple used R9 290 cards (and a phone number they NEVER got around to answering, so I don't know if the posting was legitimate) while the Polaris cards have been listing for MORE than Newegg NEW pricing the past month ($339 lowest current offering on Newegg, a Sapphire Nitro+ model, while most of the Craigslist postings have been over $450 with a very few between $400 and $450 on ANYTHING Polaris).
I suspect that's due to this area having VERY CHEAP electric though - people are NOT shutting down rigs here - while your area has quite a bit higher electric pricing.

On ZEC, a 1080 ti will easily exceed 680 sol/s with good efficiency and can get to almost 800 on good-cooling cards if you push them, while 1070s struggle to beat 400 sols with good efficiency and you're VERY lucky to beat 450 sols/sec by much when pushed hard - the performance vs cost numbers USING YOU PRICE FIGURES work out pretty bloody close.

That's not true, 2x650w corsairs cost ~€90. The cooling isn't that bad either, the hottest cards I have are the single fan nitro 570's and they didn't go over 70C last summer after I installed some ghetto ass cardboard vent shafts.

Also most 1070's can reach 500 sols, not to mention they can do other algorithms like daggerhashimoto or neoscrypt much better relative to cost than a 1080ti.

The power cost is on the average ~€0.15/kWH here but anyone can get it down to 10 cents if they draw over 15MWH monthly or even a few cents lower if they are willing to move.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: