Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:06:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Bitcoins  (Read 1166 times)
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 04:41:39 AM

It is highly unlikely that every owner of Bitcoins will all loose access to them,
and thats 21,000,000 bitcoins which wont be fully mined for about another 100 years
and it is true that the lower the circulating supply the higher the value, provided people want to buy it.

The critical amount of Bitcoins lost is hard to compute before it gives diminishing returns but its all subjective and hypothetical at this stage really.

In November 2017 this report came out that just under 4,000,000 coins have been lost forever but the rate of loss will slow down.
http://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/
I dont know on whats their basis when it comes to the total of bitcoins that is lost or just floating into the voin. 4M bitcoins is too much but well its possible. Imagine that we do only have 21M coins minus with that 4M and counting upto these days. There would really be a supressed supply which means if demand would still continue to rise up with less supply then expect we would really see high prices but minding these things wont really be relevant because we didnt even mined the last piece of bitcoin.It wont really happen in our lifetime then why we should care?
It is very possible. A lot of people in the past who probably mined bitcoin earlier with their system and had some bitcoin in return or those who bought some back then, over time could have just given up and just throw the access to their wallet somewhere they just cannot remember anymore and as long as those are lost and they have no access to the wallet or most especially the private key anymore, then they are gone forever and there is no way they can be retrieved, so we are only going to be left with those ones in circulation right now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cah ndablek

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 04:42:41 PM

If altcoin really decreased it would make traders panicked to immediately sell it so such conditions are very difficult to avoid and traders will be disappointed when the loss.

███  ████     BAANX  |  The Cryptobank Revolution     ████  ███
▬▬▬  ►  ▬▬▬  ANN  Whitepaper  Telegram  Facebook  Twitter  Medium  ▬▬▬  ◄  ▬▬▬
PRE-SALE IS OPEN!  ▬▬  Register for 100BXX!  ▬▬  Subscribe to our NEWSLETTER

bocyaj

Activity: 1325
Merit: 306

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 05:16:03 PM

If altcoin really decreased it would make traders panicked to immediately sell it so such conditions are very difficult to avoid and traders will be disappointed when the loss.

In the case altcoin will be different with respect to bitcoin.When the price of bitcoin is reduced, in a short time period. But it altcoin, it's not that much easy to occur.Few months back, litecoin price reaches 300$.After that ,till now I can't able to see that value. For such reason, people get panic.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 05:30:46 PM

When will we hit a critical point at which there's just too many lost bitcoins due to someone loosing their wallets, dying or corrupted hard drives and etc? At some point this is bound to happen right?
I know that for the time being, low circulating supply means that the coin will increase in value but how low can it get before it starts to give diminishing returns and actually inflict damage to the system? What would happen to crypto in general if all of the coins and altcoins will suffer the same ending?

At some point soon I believe there will be more lost Bitcoins than those that aren’t lost. We don’t know exactly how many are lost because many are lost when the owner dies and no one knows about the Bitcoins. There are also many people that leave dust on a wallet because it costs more to transfer those coins in fees than the coin’s value.
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 06:44:37 PM

When will we hit a critical point at which there's just too many lost bitcoins due to someone loosing their wallets, dying or corrupted hard drives and etc? At some point this is bound to happen right?
I know that for the time being, low circulating supply means that the coin will increase in value but how low can it get before it starts to give diminishing returns and actually inflict damage to the system? What would happen to crypto in general if all of the coins and altcoins will suffer the same ending?
There is nothing to be done and in my opinion nothing should be done, if many bitcoins are lost that just means that the rest of the coins become more valuable, it is as simple as that and in fact that was what Satoshi himself proposed, besides those coins are not really lost forever, given enough time it is possible for a different person to generate the same private key of those lost coins, that is very unlikely, the possibilities of that happening are astronomical but it could happen and so those coins will go back to the circulating supply.
BitcoinCommodor

Activity: 504
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 10:47:11 AM

It is highly unlikely that every owner of Bitcoins will all loose access to them,
and thats 21,000,000 bitcoins which wont be fully mined for about another 100 years
and it is true that the lower the circulating supply the higher the value, provided people want to buy it.

The critical amount of Bitcoins lost is hard to compute before it gives diminishing returns but its all subjective and hypothetical at this stage really.

In November 2017 this report came out that just under 4,000,000 coins have been lost forever but the rate of loss will slow down.
http://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/
I dont know on whats their basis when it comes to the total of bitcoins that is lost or just floating into the voin. 4M bitcoins is too much but well its possible. Imagine that we do only have 21M coins minus with that 4M and counting upto these days. There would really be a supressed supply which means if demand would still continue to rise up with less supply then expect we would really see high prices but minding these things wont really be relevant because we didnt even mined the last piece of bitcoin.It wont really happen in our lifetime then why we should care?
It is very possible. A lot of people in the past who probably mined bitcoin earlier with their system and had some bitcoin in return or those who bought some back then, over time could have just given up and just throw the access to their wallet somewhere they just cannot remember anymore and as long as those are lost and they have no access to the wallet or most especially the private key anymore, then they are gone forever and there is no way they can be retrieved, so we are only going to be left with those ones in circulation right now.
Market and source of investment is a process of many factors that involve directly or indirectly. All factors are of same importance as one factor can lead you towards hell if you are not taking care of that. By means of market and investment tools we should take care of our decisions and the wallet we use for keeping our coins safe but you wallet will safe if you do not reveal password.
DaryaDancova

Activity: 119
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 10:21:27 PM

As far as I know, now the number of lost bitcoins is very small. And if we talk about the future, then the crypto currency market develops, as well as the security measures for crypto currency investments, so the number of lost bitcoins will be less.
nolestiket

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 07:36:32 PM

I think this will happen very soon. But if that except bitcoin there are other large crypto-currencies, such as the etherium, EOS. Just those who used bitcoin will be able to switch to them or to some new ones

Averim

Activity: 515
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 08:39:12 PM

You are not an optimistic person. The only way to lose all the cryptocurrency is someone to use an EMG (electromagnetic weapon) or a strong virus.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 10:50:07 PM

even if we already mined all 21M BTC and lost 99% of it, that makes only 210,000 BTC left
I'm pretty sure we will not call it critical point and will just see bitcoin price goes up to the roof
the price will be at least 100x or even 1000x of current price Cool

there won't be actual diminishing returns as the difficulty increases the price follows
when the price doesn't reflect it, the miners will choose to stop mining and difficulty decreases
and then the new equilibrium will be formed creating the balance of price, bitcoin supply, miners and network difficulty

Lorna111

Activity: 280
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:13:54 PM

It's very good that you think the future, but the situation that you imagined yourself is still far from reality. At the moment, we can observe that the crypto-currencies are gaining more popularity, and development

I am not comfortable to loss my wallet and my coin, have you lost your wallet either by hacker or by damaged hard drive ? given because of some hacker stole your coins in your wallet or your hard drive had damaged, it would not affect the Bitcoin or the crypto currency market , i suggest you do your home work, make a study about this issue then you can always post another question on this wall. Market is volatile, anything can happened during the trading market.
Lenzie

Activity: 658
Merit: 254

For campaign management, please pm me.

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:48:13 PM

Maybe sooner or later there will be new rules on 9wning a bitcoin wallet. Like after 10 years of inactivity all the wallets will be unlocked and returned the remaining butcoin that have been forgotten to the pool.

Bitcoin Mixer
▬▬ www.Go-Overt.com ▬▬
.............CLEARNET..........TORNET............
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀░░░░██████▄
████████▀▀▀░░░▄▀░░░████████
█████▄░░░░░▄█▀░░░░░████████
████████▄█▀░░░░░░█████████
▀████████▌▐░░░░░░░████████▀
▀████████▄██▄░░████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀