Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:21:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Airdrop?  (Read 304 times)
hashkonofficial (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:31:54 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2018, 01:44:25 PM by hashkonofficial

Hi I Just want to know that what is Airdrop? And how does it work? How to earn through it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:18:06 PM

Hi I am new here..Just want to know that what is Airdrop? And how does it work? How to earn through it?

You will find a few threads about this on the Altcoins Discussion section of the forum. Basically and airdrop is a free distribution of tokens. A true airdrop will not require you to do anything, except perhaps registering an Ethereum address to receive the tokens (some airdrops may be new coins or based on NEO, WAVES or other platforms).

This is something that many companies do to have a wider user base and raise awareness of their project.

Alluro

Activity: 742
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:29:15 PM

Some ICO projects doing airdrop campaign before launch their ICO. That mens they are giving their tokens for free. We have do simple tasks for participate the airdrop like follow twitter, Retweet, Join telegram group etc. Most ICO projects are ethereum based projects. You need ERC20 tokens supported wallet (Myetherwallet, Metamask) to get airdrop tokens. Some projects are based with NEO, Waves etc and some airdrop coins receive their own wallets too. You have to register their sites to get tokens.
wandino

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:35:55 PM

Hi I am new here..Just want to know that what is Airdrop? And how does it work? How to earn through it?

It's a giveaway of coins for being a part of the group or doing small tasks. You can look for them on announcement threads.
makoitus

Activity: 211
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 02:00:13 PM
Merited by examplens (1)

Hello there mate! So before I answer your question let me just welcome you to the forum  Cheesy So anyway, Airdrop campaigns is one way on how you get coins/tokens. Every Airdrop campaign is different as well but they have some things in common. This is one way for ICOs to introduce their project and reach out to their target market. So when I say that every Airdrop is different because of course it will depend on the project itself, but most of it will require you to do a few simple things.

Most Airdrops that I know of will ask you to

1. Sign up on their website, and yes simple sign ups will let you earn a few of their coins(if they have one, it is a plus as well if they do and most legit ICO projects do have their own sites)
2. Invite friends or the referral links(be careful where you post one here though, I think they're strict with referral links  Grin)
3. Join a Telegram or Discord group(some will require you to be active and some don't so just make sure to double check the rules)
4. Some might ask you to follow their social media accounts like Twitter, Facebook, IG, Medium and more. Those I mentioned are the most common ones(It is helpful if you do, there might be important announcements)

So yeah, basically those I have listed here are the most common tasks that you might be doing once you join an Airdrop. If you're interested in joining one there are a lot of Telegram groups that are announcing or giving out links to ongoing Airdrops, you might stumble upon one if you just go through the forum. It's nice to read or check posts that gets your attention once in a while, it really helps a lot. And when you find something interesting or things related to your question here and I might not know about it yet, please do post it here so that I can read about it. I have so many things to learn myself as well. Anyway, hope this helps and once again welcome and good luck with your endeavors. Have a great day mate!   Cheesy
nitinkp47

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 03:19:12 PM

Airdrop can be the best way to get some free tokens from the community by doing simple tasks.
I currently participate in DeepOnion airdrops before they do full-fledged launch
qwertylolxd

Activity: 322
Merit: 31

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 07:54:31 PM

A​ ​crypto airdrop​ ​is​ ​when​ ​a​ ​blockchain project distribute​s ​free​ ​tokens or​ ​coins ​to​ ​the​ crypto ​community.
MintDice

Activity: 238
Merit: 46

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 07:58:27 PM

A​ ​crypto airdrop​ ​is​ ​when​ ​a​ ​blockchain project distribute​s ​free​ ​tokens or​ ​coins ​to​ ​the​ crypto ​community and to be​ ​a​ ​recipient​, usually​ ​the​ ​only​ ​requirement​ ​is​ ​that​ ​you​ ​have​ ​coins from the relevant blockchain stored​ ​in​ ​your​ ​wallet. You can also get free coins from a faucet.

Cheers!
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 08:16:06 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2018, 08:35:39 PM by HabBear

All of the comments quoted below are wrong - these are not what airdops are!

A true airdrop will not require you to do anything, except perhaps registering an Ethereum address to receive the tokens (some airdrops may be new coins or based on NEO, WAVES or other platforms).

Some ICO projects doing airdrop campaign before launch their ICO. That mens they are giving their tokens for free. We have do simple tasks for participate the airdrop like follow twitter, Retweet, Join telegram group etc.

It's a giveaway of coins for being a part of the group or doing small tasks. You can look for them on announcement threads.

Airdrop can be the best way to get some free tokens from the community by doing simple tasks.
I currently participate in DeepOnion airdrops before they do full-fledged launch

This comment from MintDice (below) is the only correct answer thus far.

A​ ​crypto airdrop​ ​is​ ​when​ ​a​ ​blockchain project distribute​s ​free​ ​tokens or​ ​coins ​to​ ​the​ crypto ​community and to be​ ​a​ ​recipient​, usually​ ​the​ ​only​ ​requirement​ ​is​ ​that​ ​you​ ​have​ ​coins from the relevant blockchain stored​ ​in​ ​your​ ​wallet. You can also get free coins from a faucet.

Cheers!

An airdrop is...
  • ALWAYS associated with a hard fork attempt
  • The release of a new coin by way of a hard fork, the forking coin needs to giveaway an amount of their coin equal to what wallets hold of the target coin (the one being forked),
     and to do this they grant owners of the target coin the new coin at a specific date and time, seemingly out of thin air...thus "airdrop"

An airdop is not...
  • A bounty campaign
  • Given for doing work, e.g., performed to promote a new token release, community tasks, registration, etc.

The confusion is driven from a lot of the bounty campaigns out there - campaigns give out coins as compensation, income, for promoting the coins. And people who are new to Bitcoin and participate in these campaigns confuse the compensation that they are getting with the term "airdrop"...and then spread the incorrect use of the term.

And if you don't want to take my word for it, here's a source:

Quote from: Wikipedia entry for Airdrop (cryptocurrency)
An airdrop for a cryptocurrency is a procedure of distributing tokens by awarding them to existing holders of a particular blockchain currency.
randomduck

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:30:56 PM

It's usually something done by new coins, where you can "apply" for the airdrop, and if you meet their certain list of requirements, then you are eligible to receive free coins or tokens by them

Typically, these requirements involve you having an active profile on the native coin's forum, or on a separate forum. The reason for this is that shows that you are sharing this new coin with a wider community, and possibly on a more popular forum.

For example, I have seen coin airdrops that require for you to have an active profile on this forum, as it is so popular so that you can promote their coin to other users who share interests in crypto-currencies.

In shorthand, it is the makers of the coin "giving away" coins to certain user's for free in order to spread awareness.
HabBear

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 09:59:48 PM

It's usually something done by new coins, where you can "apply" for the airdrop, and if you meet their certain list of requirements, then you are eligible to receive free coins or tokens by them

Typically, these requirements involve you having an active profile on the native coin's forum, or on a separate forum. The reason for this is that shows that you are sharing this new coin with a wider community, and possibly on a more popular forum.

For example, I have seen coin airdrops that require for you to have an active profile on this forum, as it is so popular so that you can promote their coin to other users who share interests in crypto-currencies.

In shorthand, it is the makers of the coin "giving away" coins to certain user's for free in order to spread awareness.

Another prime example of a Newbie member of this forum:

(1) Confusing compensation for promoting a new token OR participating in a promotional giveaway with the term "airdrop", and

(2) Not bothering to read through the thread before responding

Everything randomduck mentions above is incorrect related to what an airdop is. What randomduck is describing is a promotional giveaway or a bounty campaign (i.e., compensation).

This is also a prime example of why Newbies struggle to earn merit from their posts.
Digital Mutant

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 10:33:53 PM

When the developer of a crypto project want its new coin/token to be adopted by users and he need to advertise the new born token/coin, he organizes an airdrop.

An airdrop means free coins/tokens for a certain number of users that subscribe to the airdrop in order to participate to the free delivery of the coins/tokens. Most of airdrops are ethereum blockchain based projects so that if you give your ethereum address to the developer that organize the airdrop, he will send you a quantity of coins/tokens directly on your ethereum wallet.

This is a general answer, than airdrops can be very different one from another in function of their blockchain or objectives, but basically is a free distribution of tokens to a certain number of users.

A lot of airdrops are fake and a waste of time, very few are good deals.
DudeLion420

Activity: 124

I am A Human.*beep*

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 10:40:55 PM

In short: Airdrops are a way for a crypto project to gain attention or promotion. A participation in an Airdrop will get you free crypto assets for registering an account or filling a form .
Hope i could help, peace  Wink

CoinRace

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 02:24:28 AM

A​ ​crypto airdrop​ ​is​ ​when​ ​a​ ​blockchain project distribute​s ​free​ ​tokens or​ ​coins ​to​ ​the​ crypto ​community.
How many tokens should be distributed?
Tuanken897

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:12:29 AM

How many tokens should be distributed?
Some project give away alot of tokens. Others give small amount.
They can use Airdrop campaign to advertise their project. At the first they give free, then they will sell  their tokens.
Some project  don't have ICO, they use Airdrop campaign to make a strong community and sell their tokens
jingabalosbounty

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:28:27 AM

Airdrop is a free coins or tokens distribution. Use of this technology is possible both during the ICO and after its completion. The main criteria of getting free tokens are a positive wallet balance and possession of the keys from it.
Rocky69

Activity: 429

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:56:28 AM

AIRDROP is nothing  but a promotional technique being followed by many ICOs .  In AIR DROP participants get free Token /coins for being a part of the group or doing small tasks on FB , telegram , twitter etc .
upekhaanthony

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:06:28 AM

Airdrop is some kind promotion methodology that most ICO use. We have to do some small work for them like sharing a post, following on twitter etc or just apply by filling the a form with our information. Applying for airdrop is very easy. With that Airdrop we can earn some coins free(most of the time small amount)

jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:39:03 AM

-snip-

That probably was true for a while, but as time went on the term was used for other purposes (mostly by crypto marketing teams, I'd bet), which gave it additional meaning.

This is also from the wiki page:

What are required for airdrops?

Airdrops require that anyone who wants to participate should have the following: 1. Bitcointalk account 2. A telegram account 3. A waves wallet or other ERC20 wallets 4. A Facebook account 5. A Twitter account

Others can require accounts like LinkedIn.

None of those should be necessary if airdrops, in this sense, were strictly referring to just forked coins. You only need your private key for Bitcoin Cash, for example.

This site also describes it in a different way:

Airdrops can be delivered in a variety of ways, including forks (e.g. Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Diamond), ICO purchases (e.g.Raiden Network), and freebies (e.g. Binance gifting customers with 500 free TRX). Sometimes an airdrop will occur if a team behind the blockchain project decides to give away “free” tokens to the cryptocurrency community.

The newbies are probably just referring to the colloquial meaning of the term, rather than the traditional one.

SALAUDDIN

Activity: 28
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:40:51 AM

Airdrop is something like a giveaway for those people in this forum that is junior member or higher rank. It is also capable of being fast in distributing coins for those who submitted to join.
It's free coins,the dev of the coin will give people according to his set preferences could be members of this forum with junior rank and higher I already participate in 5 airdrop and made a good profit from those coins,You can check the altcoin announcement for airdrop,it's the easiest way to build community,because everybody here loves free coins.

AlexFox3162

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 10:23:30 AM

Hi, I would like to ask what is better AirDrop or Bounty??
Thanks for the answer)
HabBear

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 04:41:13 PM

-snip-

That probably was true for a while, but as time went on the term was used for other purposes (mostly by crypto marketing teams, I'd bet), which gave it additional meaning.

Only because people confuse the meaning. If you have to do work to receive the coins/tokens, it's compensation for services rendered, not an airdrop. This isn't one definition we're talking about. People would be changing multiple definitions of terms if we say that payment for participation in a promotional campaign is an "airdrop".

I've been around a long time, I'm telling you the correct definition. If y'all want to ignore me and keep spreading information, that's your choice. I also suspect that it's this kind of attitude, i.e., the low willingness to learn this industry, that leads to so many of you Newbies and Jr. Members becoming the target of the new merit system and other angst around the forum.

I'm trying to help you guys, ignoring me just contributes to your ignorance.

Hi, I would like to ask what is better AirDrop or Bounty??
Thanks for the answer)

This is a great question, but airdrops and bounties aren't really the same thing so it's hard to compare.

The answer depends on what cryptocurrencies you already own.

If you don't own any crytpocurrencies then you should check out a Bounty campaign, which is the act of getting paid for promoting some new cryptocurrency or token. This is income for you working on the promotion team. Some people incorrectly refer to this as an "airdrop".

If you already own cryptocurrency you can see which currencies/tokens are going to be the target of a hard fork (and therefore an airdrop) and then buy that target currency/token before the hard fork occurs. This will entitle you to receive the airdropped coin. Other (much less common) scenarios do involve simply registering an account with the cryptocurrency/token that's about to be released.

The disadvantage of all cryptocurrency ICOs is that if that reglardless how you obtain them or why; They are all very risk and most of them fail. So if someone is giving away tokens, go for it...take a shot. But know that most of these coins are never able to be traded for anything. You need an exchange to support the currency/token for you to exchange it for Ether or Bitcoin or some other mainstream currency. This often never happens.

The biggest advice I can offer is be VERY careful if you're considering buying tokens for an ICO. If they don't have a sound business model they will surely fail.
dangershadow

Activity: 88

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:08:03 PM

A Question is arising in my mind that if we receive these airdrop coins will we be able to use them ? I Mean to say that for example we got 100 Coins in an airdrop can we exchange them for other valuable coins after the launch or do we need to invest more in that coin to make those free coins eligible to work. I had some questions. Instead of making a New thread i thought this thread could be helpful. I just know a little about crypto. The only business i have done with crypto is to buy coins and sell them when they gain some value. Now i want to dig deep into this thing.
Rocky69

Activity: 429

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 03:22:34 AM

Airdrops  are nothing but promotional techniques used by companies to increase their prospect base. Airdrop is a free distribution of tokens/coins . A true airdrop will not require you to do anything, except putting  an Ethereum address  and your basic details like name , email etc  to receive the tokens but in some cases  you are supposed to follow the companies pages on telegram, twitter, Facebook etc .

to Sum up in air drop you earn free tokens/coins .
HabBear

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2018, 04:03:48 AM

A Question is arising in my mind that if we receive these airdrop coins will we be able to use them?

This is a great question!

The answer is: Usually not.

Most ICOs (regardless of how the coins are distributed or acquired) end up failing. The only way you're able to use your coins received from an ICO bounty campaign is if an exchange decides to support that coin. Then you can move them from the initial wallet to the exchange and trade them for another currency.

If an exchange doesn't support the new token/currency you will never be able to realize any value or "use them".

This is part of the major risk with new cryptocurrencies and why so many people are keen to acquire them "for free". Advertising a new token ICO in return for payment in those tokens feels like free money, therefore less risked.
Stevendion

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:00:25 AM

Airdrop is a free coin or token distribution by a cryoto company, which might require wallets, social media hurdles and referrals links.
Some airdrops are given when certain tasks or services are performed.. Airdrops are basically done to create awareness for a coin or token
SuiMikira

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:40:28 AM

Hi mate,
Airdrop is a campaign which a company run when they want to marketing their project. Participants will receive rewards in coin, token by doing simple tasks such as join their Telegram groups, like and follow Twitter or FB pages.
hiromichi

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 05:37:06 AM

There are two types of airdrops. Usual airdrop means projects wait for investors to get tokes, but the other airdrop airdrop means project give their tokens randomly to investors.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: