Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:41:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Project; Need Input (What do you buy with BTC?)  (Read 1580 times)
Jumpy (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 03:18:26 PM

I'm becoming tired of people referring to the value of bitcoins in terms of US dollars. If that's all that we see BTC as, it is really just a financial instrument layered on top of USD.

As such, I'd like to start tracking the value of BTC in terms of Purchasing Power (PP) by calculating and maintaining a specialized Consumer Price Index (CPI) that contains a basket of goods that are commonly purchased with BTC.

The first step is to determine what goods should be included in the basket.

Please list the top 5 things (aside from currency) that you buy with BTC. Bonus points for links to the places that sell them. If you have less than 5, I'd still like your input.

PM me if you want to advertise on this signature.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 07:20:55 PM

Isn't the price (in bitcoins) those vendors show nearly always just derived from a price in fiat then converted to bitcoins?

As such, I'd like to start tracking the value of BTC in terms of Purchasing Power (PP) by calculating and maintaining a specialized Consumer Price Index (CPI) that contains a basket of goods that are commonly purchased with BTC.

Or are you trying to show the affordability to goods in various regions, simply using Bitcoin instead of fiat?  This would be similar to the Big Mac index:
 - http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Jumpy (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 09:32:37 PM

Or are you trying to show the affordability to goods in various regions, simply using Bitcoin instead of fiat?  This would be similar to the Big Mac index:
 - http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Yes, the Big Mac Index is really just a play off of traditional CPI.

Hopefully I can find some fundamental goods that aren't just a function of fiat (although fiat exchange rates certainly still affect price, just as any currency is interconnected with others).

tristan_luther

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:47:12 AM

It is true that most bitcoin sales are now priced in fiat, but it is certainly worth designing such a price index immediately. It could help everyone understand the development of bitcoin over time, and more (accurate) information is almost always a good thing.
Jumpy (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 05:04:32 AM

Still waiting for responses. Currently I have friends suggesting that VPS' and Domain Names be covered. Are there any other goods that you've bought with BTC?

AndrewWilliams

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 05:38:18 AM

Jump, good thread but I think the issue is almost ALL products and services sold for Bitcoin, are the price of fiat adjusted to the price of Bitcoin.

The only areas I would see what you are describing, would be regional markets, like a farmers market for food.

Example:
A pound of apples for 0.05 BTC.

Unless the manufacturer or producer of the item that is being sold, has the ability to source everything themselves, it is very hard to price things based on Bitcoin itself, not tied to fiat.

Examples I can think of would be: a farmer, a craftsman, any tradesman, a fisherman.

... and even then, I do think prices will pretty much mirror fiat. :/

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I got your intention now.

I suggest start by indexing the necessities: food, shelter, etc.
Jumpy (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 06:55:01 AM

Jump, good thread but I think the issue is almost ALL products and services sold for Bitcoin, are the price of fiat adjusted to the price of Bitcoin.

The only areas I would see what you are describing, would be regional markets, like a farmers market for food.

Example:
A pound of apples for 0.05 BTC.

Unless the manufacturer or producer of the item that is being sold, has the ability to source everything themselves, it is very hard to price things based on Bitcoin itself, not tied to fiat.

Examples I can think of would be: a farmer, a craftsman, any tradesman, a fisherman.

... and even then, I do think prices will pretty much mirror fiat. :/

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I got your intention now.

I suggest start by indexing the necessities: food, shelter, etc.

Andrew, thanks for your input. I think that, for this to be in any way useful, we need to have the items that are actually purchased in BTC. That is the purpose of this thread.

Have you ever bought anything in BTC?

AndrewWilliams

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:31:18 PM

No.

Since I was not an early adopter I don't have the luxury of having a small investment balloon into a very large one, as those who purchased Bitcoin years ago have experienced.

I have converted fiat into Bitcoin, in hopes it will rise. Until it rises, I do not see a specific advantage to purchase something in Bitcoin, until Bitcoin rises significantly, leaving me with more Bitcoin than I put into it.

That said, many of the merchants selling in Bitcoin cater to individuals who put a little or alot into Bitcoin early on, and saw that rise exponentially, and are now left with a very large amount of Bitcoin they are trying to "get rid of" or reap the benefits of it's rise in value. Therein lies the advantage Bitcoin would have over fiat, in regards to purchasing power, for someone who purchased low.
Jumpy (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:17:00 AM

Bump. Still waiting to hear from someone about what they have spent BTC on.

xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:42:24 PM

Bump. Still waiting to hear from someone about what they have spent BTC on.
privateinternetaccess.com
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 12:38:40 AM

Bought silver, and insert advertising, both OTC. Silver market then promptly crashed, and I haven't sold anything that was on the insert ad.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 12:41:17 AM

Leaving out things where the price is linked to USD...

btccharts subscription
oddjobs over the internet such as translation work <- this is in my opinion the killer app of bitcoin
Jumpy (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:56:08 AM

I'm going to leave forms of currency out since the wider forex and commodity markets will dictate their prices in terms of fiat.

I agree that buying services like translation and editing is great, but I'm not sure if we could quantify a value that could be tracked over time through data.

Thank you for the input. Keep 'em coming.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 03:19:55 AM

I bought some e-cigarettes from bitcoin-cigarettes.com

and i'm now waiting for my second shipment, i'm planning on buying this stuff on a regular basis, until i can stop smoking completely...

I also bought some hmmmm...

physical bitcoins.

a video card.

1 gram of weed

web hosting

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:21:45 AM

I'm going to leave forms of currency out since the wider forex and commodity markets will dictate their prices in terms of fiat.

I agree that buying services like translation and editing is great, but I'm not sure if we could quantify a value that could be tracked over time through data.

Thank you for the input. Keep 'em coming.

Raybans, web stuff, some silver that was promptly flipped...

polarhei

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Firing it up

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:50:10 AM

I'm becoming tired of people referring to the value of bitcoins in terms of US dollars. If that's all that we see BTC as, it is really just a financial instrument layered on top of USD.

Please list the top 5 things (aside from currency) that you buy with BTC. Bonus points for links to the places that sell them. If you have less than 5, I'd still like your input.

If you have found a way for BTC, you will try to find more BTC at this moment.
Jumpy (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:12:58 AM

I bought some e-cigarettes from bitcoin-cigarettes.com

and i'm now waiting for my second shipment, i'm planning on buying this stuff on a regular basis, until i can stop smoking completely...

I also bought some hmmmm...

physical bitcoins.

a video card.

1 gram of weed

web hosting

This is a good list, can I get some links to the sources of these items? I'm hoping to get a preliminary list ready by the beginning of next week.

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:27:39 AM

I bought the obligatory alpaca socks, a hard drive, earphones, a VPS, a couple of t-shirts and a mug.
Jumpy (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 07:17:54 AM

I bought the obligatory alpaca socks, a hard drive, earphones, a VPS, a couple of t-shirts and a mug.

Can I get links to any of these goods? Alpaca socks sound like an interesting inclusion as a representative of clothing.

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 10:45:32 AM

Can I get links to any of these goods? Alpaca socks sound like an interesting inclusion as a representative of clothing.

Socks: grasshillalpacas.com
Hard drive: bitcoinstore.com
Earphones: can't remember, bitmit I think
VPS: bitvps.com
t-shirts/mug: cafepress.com/bitcoinmegastore
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: