Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:45:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S9 MINERS DISCONNECTED AFTER 30 HOURS OF UPTIME  (Read 152 times)
MLGminer (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:56:10 AM

Hi

I have 8 S9 Miners that I bought from bought directly from Bitmain as part of the November Batch. I  currently am using the Bitmain AW3+++ PSU for each miner. I have set up these miners in a local collocation area that uses a data-feed ethernet cable to pass internet to the miners.  Unfortunate for the past week, I have been running into a particular issue with getting the miners online. Approximately every 30 hours, ALL 8 of the miners disconnect from Slush-Pool at the same time and refuses to give me access to the miner settings. (reports 401 access denied) This has happened to me 3 times over this week. I contacted a Network Technician the first time around to make the miners use the Static networking protocol instead of DHCP Protocol and helped me config it in the miners settings once the miners where rebooted and given a new IP by the router. We rebooted all 8 miners at around 8PM and the following night, the miners stopped connecting to the pool at 2:00 am in the morning. I went in to the collocation area and saw no miners where connected to the routers, even thought the all 8 miners were still reviving power. I tried a scan to locate the IP addresses using Angry IP Scanner. The IP addresses were showing as active by the scan and decided to ping using CMD which reported the ping to the miners as successful. I then tried logging in and could not get into the miner settings (and hence, I couldn't see the log to figure out what caused it). I then unplugged and rebooted each miner (while this time, factory resetting the miner) one miner at a time. Each miner then received a new IP on boot and I manually assigned each Miner the same IP address from the Routers IP Reserve List by registering the MAC address of each miner with the router. I then left all the miners to DHCP, and then unplugged each miner's Ethernet cable out of the switch that I was using in order to test if the miners would be assigned the same IP when they reconnect, which the router did once the miner reconnected to the network. I was pleased to see that all 8 miners where back online, so I then configured the miners to slush pool and left them running at around 12:30pm on Wednesday afternoon. Then, unfortunately, the miners disconnected yet again at 10:45pm on Thursday night.
I have yet to go back, but am I now sat here currently now theorizing that my router is the issue and resets the entire network every 30 hours, which causes the miners to drop and lose there minds. My router is a TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N Router TL-WR841N (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR841N.html) and my switch is a TP Link- SG101DE (https://www.tp-link.com/il/products/details/cat-5072_TL-SG1016D.html). The ports are currently active on my switch so I doubt that is the cause of the issue. My router does have port forwarding currently enabled, so I can access the miners remotely and off-site. The miners are receiving cooling and temps are below 75 degrees under full load, and unfortunately, since I cannot access the miner settings at this point, I Cannot find the log to see what occurred to make it disconnect from the network.

Any suggestions would be apprititated, and out of curiosity, what networking gear do you use for your S9 miners? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SGMPhil

Activity: 111
Merit: 14

01010011 01000111 01001101

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 01:53:11 AM

First of all, good job explaining in detail your situation - that is very helpful in troubleshooting. What initially stands out to me is that you have port forwarding turned on so that your miners are accessible from the internet. This is a bad practice as miners are relatively easy to compromise over the internet. I highly recommend disabling port forwarding and using a VPN to manage your miners instead. My guess is that this alone will fix your problem.

Personally, I use a Sophos XG firewall for security and VPN access, and Cisco switches. I can manage the miners remotely and they are safe from scumbags on the internet.

The Sergeant Major

3KHzidSnPjzrzM4HPetpWaFR4J8FVUdbmj
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 05:37:53 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2018, 10:43:19 PM by frodocooper

If it were me I'd give them static IPs and just be done with trying to do DHCP reservations. Also, as mentioned, port forwarding is a really, really bad idea. This could be part of your issue as well. I'd probably pick up a router that does VPN and reuse/sell that wireless one.

How is that router connected to the colo's networking? Wired, wireless?

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to trim the quote from MLGminer.)

MLGminer (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:03:43 AM

First of all, good job explaining in detail your situation - that is very helpful in troubleshooting. What initially stands out to me is that you have port forwarding turned on so that your miners are accessible from the internet. This is a bad practice as miners are relatively easy to compromise over the internet. I highly recommend disabling port forwarding and using a VPN to manage your miners instead. My guess is that this alone will fix your problem.

Personally, I use a Sophos XG firewall for security and VPN access, and Cisco switches. I can manage the miners remotely and they are safe from scumbags on the internet.

Thanks. Its just been kinda frustrating experience getting these miners working, so thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that I changed the password on my router and on my 8 Miners.

With the Sophos XG Firewall and the Cisco swithces, what model would you recommend I get?
MLGminer (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:20:08 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2018, 10:45:06 PM by frodocooper

If it were me I'd give them static IPs and just be done with trying to do DHCP reservations. Also, as mentioned, port forwarding is a really, really bad idea. This could be part of your issue as well. I'd probably pick up a router that does VPN and reuse/sell that wireless one.

How is that router connected to the colo's networking? Wired, wireless?

Hi

I tried using Static IPS and the miners still managed to disconnect from the pool. The router is using a wired ethenet link. I am currently looking into finding a router that supports VPN. Do you recommend I should pick this up (https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/cisco-rv110w-wireless-n-vpn-firewall-rv110w-e-g5-k9-7TK6.html?utm_content=QE00&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZaRsL272QIV4ZPtCh31DwiiEAQYAiABEgIKNfD_BwE) If not, what Router do you suggest I get?

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove a nested quote.)
SGMPhil

Activity: 111
Merit: 14

01010011 01000111 01001101

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 01:05:48 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2018, 10:47:34 PM by frodocooper

Thanks. Its just been kinda frustrating experience getting these miners working, so thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that I changed the password on my router and on my 8 Miners.

With the Sophos XG Firewall and the Cisco swithces, what model would you recommend I get?

Changing the password on the miners is definitely a good thing to do, but will not completely protect them. Don't sweat the static IP issue, I am using DHCP with reservations for the miners and it has been a very stable solution for me.

Regarding the firewall, I suggest a XG-210 appliance or get the software version is you have a spare computer or server that has at least 2 network interfaces on it. If you use your own hardware, you can use the Sophos "home" (software) version for free. The Sophos platform is very robust and supports many VPN configurations.

Just about any Cisco switch will do, since you are running in a datacenter, I would get one that you can rack mount. I suggest taking a look on ebay, there are lots of good, used Cisco switches there for $100-$200 - well worth the price. Get a late model. I have a WS-4948 and it works great. I know 48 ports is overkill, but it is a good switch and the price is right. If possible, get one with redundant power supplies.

If you need any help getting all this to work, PM me, I am a network engineer and specialize in network security. No charge to help out fellow miners Smiley

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove a nested quote.)

The Sergeant Major

3KHzidSnPjzrzM4HPetpWaFR4J8FVUdbmj
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: