Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:03:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to maximize a 5830?  (Read 3452 times)
The_JMiner (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:13:15 AM

I just received my new 5830s

Their currently running at 900mhz and giving me about 250mhs each.

I read https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

I want to try to reach the 300-310 mhs range. What combo do I need for this?!

I am currently running GUI Miner on windows 7 32 bit.

If you need more info let me know.

**PS: I tried to use RIVA Tuner to go over 900mhz but it kept dropping my fan speed down to 25% by itself so I decided not to use it. If not I would not be posting this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 01:27:18 AM

try to use MSI afterburner or sapphire trixx. the trixx software will allow you to change the voltage i believe. and also, most 5830's are stable with core over 900mhz, so try bumping up your core clocks a little.

The_JMiner (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:30:13 AM

try to use MSI afterburner or sapphire trixx. the trixx software will allow you to change the voltage i believe. and also, most 5830's are stable with core over 900mhz, so try bumping up your core clocks a little.

I have MSI Afterburner installed and it does not let me go past 900 either, I think it may be a BIOS issue. Yet I doubt it because RIVA Tuner goes past 900 but then it f*cks with my fan settings.

haploid23
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 01:40:55 AM

go to the MSI folder located in your program files folder, and open the afterburner config file. then change the unofficial overclocking mode form 0 to 1, and copy and paste this in the EULA:  I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it. save that file, and restart afterburner. your upper limit should increase past 900mhz  Wink

The_JMiner (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:51:29 AM

go to the MSI folder located in your program files folder, and open the afterburner config file. then change the unofficial overclocking mode form 0 to 1, and copy and paste this in the EULA:  I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it. save that file, and restart afterburner. your upper limit should increase past 900mhz  Wink

EULA?
edit: EULA End User License Agreement, ok but where do I find the EULA?
edit2: found it thanks!!!

haploid23
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 01:57:18 AM

go to the MSI folder located in your program files folder, and open the afterburner config file. then change the unofficial overclocking mode form 0 to 1, and copy and paste this in the EULA:  I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it. save that file, and restart afterburner. your upper limit should increase past 900mhz  Wink

EULA?

ya, did you find it? the EULA is the first line of the last paragraph in the config file. i forgot to mention that you have to open the config file with either notepad or wordpad. then copy and paste the bold text i just typed into that EULA area.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:58:55 AM

Just use trixx, it's easier to OC with it.  If you set it to 970/300 it should be stable on stock voltage and get you about 310 mh/s.
The_JMiner (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:00:39 AM

EULA?

ya, did you find it? the EULA is the first line of the last paragraph in the config file. i forgot to mention that you have to open the config file with either notepad or wordpad. then copy and paste the bold text i just typed into that EULA area.

Yea got it all up and running. Yea I knew about the notepad. The system was giving me issues saving it (had to run as admin). Got it all working thanks again!

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:48:05 AM

i used to trixx to push mine to 1025/300  cooling is very imporant though that's where i was hitting 80*c which while ok for this card is a bit uncomfortable to look at. that netted about 320mhash and might get you 330 there have been some improvements to the miners available since i swapped the card for a 5870.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:48:00 AM

Try going to 1040/355 and use the phatk mod (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=23067.0).  I'm getting a stable 329-330 MH/s out of mine the last 24hrs.

Mousepotato
mike678

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:40:04 PM

Try going to 1040/355 and use the phatk mod (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=23067.0).  I'm getting a stable 329-330 MH/s out of mine the last 24hrs.
I get 329 from 1030/300 you might want to try Diapolo's update to the kernel if you use phoenix.
The_JMiner (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:53:20 PM

I am having issues staying above 950mhz. It lasts for 12 hours and then it drops. Does not seem stable for prolong periods of time. Is it possible this is because of my PSU?
I am using a Rosewill 700W (only 72% efficiency though)
I am using a AMD Sempron CPU so nothing else in the rig consumes power.

My temps stay below 62'c on either card so it is not temps.

mike678

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:03:41 AM

I am having issues staying above 950mhz. It lasts for 12 hours and then it drops. Does not seem stable for prolong periods of time. Is it possible this is because of my PSU?

It depends on who made your card the people saying they get above 1000 mhz I believe all have saphire cards. In my experience the saphire cards can be pushed up to around 1040 on stock voltage
fitty

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:17:10 AM

It depends on who made your card the people saying they get above 1000 mhz I believe all have saphire cards. In my experience the saphire cards can be pushed up to around 1040 on stock voltage

1040?

Damn I got a bad batch, err batches. I've never hit 1040 on a stock sapphire (extreme or otherwise). Guess I should do some more testing. =)

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
The_JMiner (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:43:54 AM

Yes mine are Sapphires as well.

zard_cz

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:38:03 AM

Great thread. Does anybody has similar tips for 5830 overclock on linux? I have used the aticonfig which does allow core overclocking but the memory speed range it allows me to set is very small (only around 100 less than stock).

Do I need to flash the bios or is there any more advanced tool on linux?
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:46:25 AM

Great thread. Does anybody has similar tips for 5830 overclock on linux? I have used the aticonfig which does allow core overclocking but the memory speed range it allows me to set is very small (only around 100 less than stock).

I have little experience overclocking in linux myself so I'm going to point you to this thread.
 http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11087.0

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:38:42 AM

I don't know about 5830s but with my 5850s I can underclock the RAM using AMDOverdriveCtrl.  Create a profile and set the RAM clock speed to the speed that you want and then apply it with.

Code:
AMDOverdriveCtrl -b MyProfile.ovdr -i 0
('-i 0' is the interface, run 'AMDOverdriveCtrl --help' to get a list of your interfaces.)

This worked for me with early versions of Catalyst (11.5 and earlier).  I was not able to overclock above the BIOS maximum but could go below the minimum with this trick.  It is important that you set the same RAM clock setting for all three performance levels.
zard_cz

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:58:17 PM

Thanks! I have managed to compile it with a tiny bit of effort.. when I will be sitting in front of the miner I will try it out (as I understand it needs a bit of GUI for the setup)
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:02:01 AM

Thanks! I have managed to compile it with a tiny bit of effort.. when I will be sitting in front of the miner I will try it out (as I understand it needs a bit of GUI for the setup)

No GUI required.  AMDOverdriveCtrl can work in batch mode (hence the '-b' flag I gave above).  I don't remember exactly but if you run the command once it will generate some default profiles based on your cards and put them in "$HOME/.AMDOverdriveCtrl".  You can then edit the profile and apply it with the line I gave above.

Here's a profile I'm currently using for my 5850 if you can't get it to generate one for some reason (the voltage may be a little low for a 5830).

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<OVERDRIVE_PROFILE>
  <PERFORMANCE_LEVEL level="2" gpu="89500" mem="30000" voltage="988"/>
  <PERFORMANCE_LEVEL level="1" gpu="55000" mem="30000" voltage="988"/>
  <PERFORMANCE_LEVEL level="0" gpu="15700" mem="30000" voltage="988"/>
</OVERDRIVE_PROFILE>
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: