Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:32:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you still need a special computer?  (Read 4647 times)
appleannie (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 01:50:34 AM

Hi,
I just purchased 4 ASIC USB miners. Yes, I know this is barely 1 G/hs, but it is a start. I downloaded and installed the GUI miner software. I keep getting a message there is nothing to mine. Is there something I am doing wrong?
My computer runs at 2 GHz. It runs on an AMD. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:12:14 AM

Hi,
I just purchased 4 ASIC USB miners. Yes, I know this is barely 1 G/hs, but it is a start. I downloaded and installed the GUI miner software. I keep getting a message there is nothing to mine. Is there something I am doing wrong?
My computer runs at 2 GHz. It runs on an AMD. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you

Try cgminer or bfgminer, I'm not sure gui miner supports USBs
Beastlymac

Activity: 630

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:54:04 AM

Sounds like you need to install drivers.
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

Message me if you have any problems
SirMintALot

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

In POS we trust

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:06:37 AM

1.) Install driver like Beastlymac wrote
2.) use BFGminer, CGminer or Bitminter, Guiminer doesnt work with ASICs. Bitminter is nearly as noob friendly as Guiminer but requires Java. BFGminer is the miner with less hardware errors than the other two, this will give you more bitcoins in return. CGminer requires a spezial driver (Zadig) but offers USB hotplugging. There is also the https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268933.0 GUI BE Miner, which I havent tried, but it is just a GUI Interface to an older version of BFGminer.

BTC: 142BHpdq4wey7PC3Cp5QiUoshF19u3yvHN LTC: LbiEUDYjohwpXnv1Gd4LvdGr1Jr1M5Usjc NMC: N3eeYkWqeLFWBJRmS3WyU1zz6WgKkjEVtb
IXC: xtR8uc2EFGWFJgrVEgZZ5yvRsWKhwAg8ZH DVC: 18oVWfSqHjvhJEuHHxsDpCfBeDMuLWyh5p CLR: CGZGWW16sooX69PJBEtJH2Xmo4KFupkow7
PPC: PLJ5uzFw21FkKdSrmfccT3MqubSfSB4soE YAC: Y7FM89AiFhWKBcXh2BzzRaw4eUAYkreXbs LBW: 5ygEWM7dMjeUV2sBeppTvkTTXCkeREKqf2
I0C: jatiogvXJYhK7auegbjPnQRV3kQgFvz482 JPU: JE7fhhPfP1Kjyd1hj8zevNsf7THeMqHo6A NVC: 4Hvecu2fzC2rCwYbKBeYXr8y9pdAZLFZHH
crudpuppy

Activity: 224

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 01:48:13 AM

Also pick a good pool and get that setup.  You didn't specify any pool inf your post so maybe your trying solo mining but with a few usb eruptors would take forever.  With most pools you can set difficulty which for a small setup like that choose 1 and you should start seeing shares submitted fairly soon after starting it up.  I use cgminer personally found it to work the usb eruptors just slightly higher at their full 336 which bfgminer didn't want to for me.

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
appleannie (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 07:39:49 PM

Also pick a good pool and get that setup.  You didn't specify any pool inf your post so maybe your trying solo mining but with a few usb eruptors would take forever.  With most pools you can set difficulty which for a small setup like that choose 1 and you should start seeing shares submitted fairly soon after starting it up.  I use cgminer personally found it to work the usb eruptors just slightly higher at their full 336 which bfgminer didn't want to for me.

I have been communicating with 50Btc also. The gave me this link to read an article about configuring the miners.
http://rdmsnippets.com/2013/05/29/setting-up-asicminer-block-erupters-on-windows-7
It is quite an interesting article. I did lack a USB hub that emits electricity. I have ordered one and it will be here over the weekend or early next week.
With such a small rig, I was thinking of joining a few mining pools. Is this a good idea? I thought it would increase the amount of coins I take in everyday. Will it slow down my computational power and have the opposite effect?
Thank you
crudpuppy

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:56:05 PM

You can only mine in 1 pool at a time.  You could do pool hopping(changing pools every so often) but with most pps or other algorithims this wont pay off any for you.

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:59:05 PM

You can only mine in 1 pool at a time.  You could do pool hopping(changing pools every so often) but with most pps or other algorithims this wont pay off any for you.

not true. this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=295174.0 gives an example of mining btc at the same time as osc, though you could do multiple bitcoin pools as well. probably not a feature for such low hashrate or for inexperienced users, however this tutorial should help the OP get setup with cgminer.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
crudpuppy

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:24:44 AM

As indicated in that thread this isnt really merged mining as true merged mining on 2 btc pools isn't really possible.  You can on some pools mine say btc and ltc but the usb eruptors and some other devices don't do scrypt.  As pointed out in that thread what is happening is balanced mining meaning a portion of mining power is for each pool.  Again same as I said about pool hopping not going to pay off for him.  Best bet pick a good pool with good ppc and low fee for starting off with ....If you get some real numbers in hashing power then maybe you can do something different.

So yes technically you can mine 2 pools but with 1/2 your full hashing each.  But I took him to be asking about mining 2 pools same time full power since he asked if this would effect his computational power(ie hashing) Which it wont effect it either way just spreeds it around.

Also of note to OP the link you have reference the usb to uart drivers which for newer versions of cgminer aren't needed if you plan on doing bfgminer they are for cgminer you needa use zadig
http://www.wtcr.ca/content/asicminer-usb-erupter-windows-setup-instructions

SirMintALot

Activity: 140

In POS we trust

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 07:20:40 AM

With a decent hashrate it makes sense to use load balancing to avoid bad luck of a single pool. With only one erupter it makes more sense to join only one of he big pools or to connect to a p2ppool.

BTC: 142BHpdq4wey7PC3Cp5QiUoshF19u3yvHN LTC: LbiEUDYjohwpXnv1Gd4LvdGr1Jr1M5Usjc NMC: N3eeYkWqeLFWBJRmS3WyU1zz6WgKkjEVtb
IXC: xtR8uc2EFGWFJgrVEgZZ5yvRsWKhwAg8ZH DVC: 18oVWfSqHjvhJEuHHxsDpCfBeDMuLWyh5p CLR: CGZGWW16sooX69PJBEtJH2Xmo4KFupkow7
PPC: PLJ5uzFw21FkKdSrmfccT3MqubSfSB4soE YAC: Y7FM89AiFhWKBcXh2BzzRaw4eUAYkreXbs LBW: 5ygEWM7dMjeUV2sBeppTvkTTXCkeREKqf2
I0C: jatiogvXJYhK7auegbjPnQRV3kQgFvz482 JPU: JE7fhhPfP1Kjyd1hj8zevNsf7THeMqHo6A NVC: 4Hvecu2fzC2rCwYbKBeYXr8y9pdAZLFZHH
appleannie (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 02:51:21 AM

I attempted to install these drivers and received a message stating that the software did not find any drivers suitable for my machine. Is there quite possibly another program I can get to bridge these miners? I guess this is my problem. Perhaps, once again I have purchased a machine that is not suitable for mining.

Thank you
Beastlymac

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 03:58:39 AM

I attempted to install these drivers and received a message stating that the software did not find any drivers suitable for my machine. Is there quite possibly another program I can get to bridge these miners? I guess this is my problem. Perhaps, once again I have purchased a machine that is not suitable for mining.

Thank you

https://www.btcguild.com/index.php?page=support&section=blockerupter

Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:26:17 AM

Just use the lowest power consuming computer you have. Most of us USB erupter miners use Raspberry Pi's - I had a few already from other projects so cost was nill

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:35:39 AM

Just use the lowest power consuming computer you have. Most of us USB erupter miners use Raspberry Pi's - I had a few already from other projects so cost was nill

To be fair, he can't get it working on a PC, and you're suggesting he uses a Pi?  You really are putting the cart before the horse with that suggestion.

What you're proposing is like teaching your 3 year old kid to ride a bicycle by putting them on the back of a Honda Fireblade.  He needs the pink bicycle with the training wheels.
Beastlymac

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 12:35:10 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2013, 11:42:24 PM by Beastlymac

To be fair, he can't get it working on a PC, and you're suggesting he uses a Pi?  You really are putting the cart before the horse with that suggestion.

What you're proposing is like teaching your 3 year old kid to ride a bicycle by putting them on the back of a Honda Fireblade.  He needs the pink bicycle with the training wheels.
Raspberry pi with minepeon. Plug in turn on navigate to web page change pool settings mine.

Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:41:08 PM

To be fair, he can't get it working on a PC, and you're suggesting he uses a Pi?  You really are putting the cart before the horse with that suggestion.

What you're proposing is like teaching your 3 year old kid to ride a bicycle by putting them on the back of a Honda Fireblade.  He needs the pink bicycle with the training wheels.

At least he will be up and running quick Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: