Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:39:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Feed Some Children by Dabs (Historical) 4,920 meals so far!  (Read 47687 times)
Dabs (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:43:54 PM

I did a minor edit to the first post. Any amount is welcome.

As you may be aware, my country is all over CNN and other news, because we are having the biggest and baddest storm the world has seen in the past 30 years. Category 5. 300 kph gust winds. Roofs flying.

So whatever you mine with your block erupter or blue fury (or red fury) is still going to help.

Honestly, I may not see the actual kids themselves for awhile, but I do know that the company and organization and foundation are legit.

And it's going to get easier once the tagcash exchange launches. (I'll post a TAG address later, it's an alt-coin if you're not aware of it.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 12:30:16 AM

And I bought the 10 bags for donation. Will post receipt on Monday.

hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 01:03:35 AM

Dabs, we just sent 1 BTC over. Hope it helps!

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
thddx

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:16:47 PM
Last edit: November 10, 2013, 09:23:13 PM by thddx

I'm very happy to see this thread.  I just sent through a BTC to support the cause.  I'm enthralled with the idea of being able to send money instantly to another country while having confidence that it will be well used.

Thanks for doing the legwork Dabs

EDIT: Thought I'd add: Could someone sticky this thread and maybe temporarily re-title for post-hurricane relief?
Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:08:07 AM

p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:42:57 AM

A LITTLE DONATION FROM CHINA .. GOD BLESS YOU ALL Smiley
ezacarias

Activity: 18

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:26:54 AM

Sent some. Can you put a QR code for the donation bitcoin address? Easier to scan from phone than typing Smiley
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 06:02:41 AM

Sent some. Can you put a QR code for the donation bitcoin address? Easier to scan from phone than typing Smiley

Instantly generate a QR code by replacing the address after qr+code+:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=qr+code+1food14NCLas1FssyKnf2MgGZcwUFRKXE

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:58:07 AM

I got this email today.

At Nu Skin, we are greatly concerned for the victims of the recent and tragic disaster that took place in the Philippines. The country was hit by one of the world’s worst storms on record last Friday, November 8. It is feared that more than 10,000 may have perished while more than a million is forced to leave their homes. Typhoon “Yolanda” (international name: Haiyan) sent giant sea waves inland, washing away homes, schools, buildings, etc. Casualties were mostly from drowning and from collapsed buildings. Most of the fatalities were from Eastern Visayas, from the central part of the Philippines.

Despite all local relief efforts, there is still an urgent need for help for the victims. Through your continuous great examples of being a force for good for others, Nu Skin would like to announce a VitaMeal 50+10 Matching Program.

With the urgent need for food and other products in the disaster areas, we would like to announce a 50+10 VitaMeal matching donation program with immediate effect until December 31, 2013. For every fifty bags (50) of VitaMeal purchased in any of our markets in Southeast Asia Region and Pacific Region, Nu Skin Enterprises will match with ten (10) bags.

Distributors who will purchase a total of 50 Vitameal bags under his own ID or Executives who will pool a total of 50 bags from his circle group will be recognized in the coming corporate recognition events for these generous contributions to the Nourish the Children relief efforts.

We will work to have all our VitaMeal purchases from November to December 2013 go to the typhoon victims in the Philippines. As you read this email, we are already sending some Vitameal products which we have on hand.

We anticipate a tremendous need to rebuild. Meanwhile, food is most needed so we appeal for your help to drive Vitameal sales.

Nu Skin Enterprises appreciates your concern and prayers for all the victims in these disaster-stricken areas. We are in business to be a force for good. We live by this commitment.

We thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

Best regards,
Melisa Tantoco Quijano
President
Southeast Asia Region and Pacific Region

50 bags at the current bitstamp / preev rate is about 5.71 BTC.

Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:41:54 AM

My heartfelt thanks to the recent donators even without knowing who you are. Updated 2nd post.

sushi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:30:06 AM

Good Job Dabs! 

Wish they can Sticky this Thread on the top!!! 

Moderator any Thoughts???

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:22:39 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 09:36:32 PM by ||bit

You seem credible. And that you could win over Phinnaeus Gage seems a feat in itself.  However, I still have a question or two. But do want to help the poor/needy affected by the hurricane/typhoon.

When are you going to post photos of the goods you received? Would you post a photo of you picking up the goods for distribution? All the photos you've posted so far are professional news or of pre-hurricane conditions. Taking photos at your eye level (vantage point) will significantly reduce questions, and get more people to helping.

From the OP:
How it works:
1. You send at least 0.01 BTC to the donation address.
2. I wait until it reaches 1640 PHP (fiat equivalent.) *edit* I will probably wait until there is at least a whole bitcoin, regardless of exchange rate.
3. I change the BTC to PHP through local traders here.
4. I buy and donate 1 bag of VitaMeal.
5. I take a picture of the bag, and the receipt, post here.
6. Go back to step 1.

A photo of you WITH the bag would be even better. Preferably at the pick-up center. Don't delay. I'm probably not the only one that wants to give, especially now.

Also, is the address you gave for donations ONLY used for this project of yours? Is it located in a separate wallet than a personal wallet? Can you prove each contribution was used for meals?

How much does it cost for one 50 meals (or is that bags) measured in US dollars or Philippine pesos? It would be best to donate in increments of 50 meals to maximize Nu Skin's matching program.

You mentioned using local traders. How quickly can you exchange and how close can you trade to market prices?

Last question. How targeted are you giving these meals or is a relief organization doing this for you? I've so far read the people of Tacloban were hit severely. I know the storm was wide, but I'm not sure how much of the Phillipines received such a degree of devastation. Those hit hardest by the storm are most in need. [Just read in your post above: "Most of the fatalities were from Eastern Visayas, from the central part of the Philippines."]. Please, don't take offense, I'm sure you're competent. But I'd like a bit more reason to know any donation is helping where most needed.

"Survivors at city airport said they have not eaten in more than a day"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2501471/Philippines-Typhoon-Haiyan-Soldiers-hold-desperate-Filipinos-trying-escape-typhoon-ravaged-region.html
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 10:08:24 PM

You seem credible. And that you could win over Phinnaeus Gage seems a feat in itself.  However, I still have a question or two. But do want to help the poor/needy affected by the hurricane/typhoon.

When are you going to post photos of the goods you received? Would you post a photo of you picking up the goods for distribution? All the photos you've posted so far are professional news or of pre-hurricane conditions. Taking photos at your eye level (vantage point) will significantly reduce questions, and get more people to helping.

From the OP:
How it works:
2. I wait until it reaches 1640 PHP (fiat equivalent.) *edit* I will probably wait until there is at least a whole bitcoin, regardless of exchange rate.
6. Go back to step 1.

A photo of you WITH the bag would be even better. Preferably at the pick-up center. Don't delay. I'm probably not the only one that wants to give, especially now.

Also, is the address you gave for donations ONLY used for this project of yours? Is it located in a separate wallet than a personal wallet? Can you prove each contribution was used for meals?

How much does it cost for one 50 meals (or is that bags) measured in US dollars or Philippine pesos? It would be best to donate in increments of 50 meals to maximize Nu Skin's matching program.

You mentioned using local traders. How quickly can you exchange and how close can you trade to market prices?

Last question. How targeted are you giving these meals or is a relief organization doing this for you? I've so far read the people of Tacloban were hit severely. I know the storm was wide, but I'm not sure how much of the Phillipines received such a degree of devastation. Those hit hardest by the storm are most in need. [Just read in your post above: "Most of the fatalities were from Eastern Visayas, from the central part of the Philippines."]. Please, don't take offense, I'm sure you're competent. But I'd like a bit more reason to know any donation is helping where most needed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2501471/Philippines-Typhoon-Haiyan-Soldiers-hold-desperate-Filipinos-trying-escape-typhoon-ravaged-region.html

I'm sure Dabs will do everything possible to address all your concerns in a professional manner. If not, I'll kick his ass.  Grin

But, that's not what I came here for.

Hey Dabs, I need any Bitcoin business you may be related to so that I can post it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=329396.msg3533934#msg3533934 It's a gift from GrabHive.

~TMIBTCITW
Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:31:12 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 12:41:06 AM by Dabs

Hi. Allow me to try to address each concern:

1. Bag = So far I've only gone to the pick-up center twice. Both times were immediately after some calamity. The first one was after the earthquake. This last one was after the super typhoon. In both cases, there was NO STOCK at the pick-up center of the bags.

The only reason for the bag to be there is if someone wants to take it home, for personal consumption, or for your own personal feeding project. Therefore, I could not even take a picture of even a sample bag. All the bags are at the main warehouse or something, going off to where they are needed.

Nu Skin as a business, operates on a very high level with un-salaried (unpaid) distributors, who make their income 100% from commissions. The employees of the corporate office do all the grunt work. The distributors, like me, are just sales people. (A good example analogy is that we're like real-estate agents; we don't own the house or land, we just sell it.)

2. The address I gave for donations, the 1food address, is ONLY used for this project. It is separate from all other addresses, and I prefer that when I do trade or sell it, I do it all at once every time.

It is not in a separate wallet per se, but the bitcoin client I use has Coin Control, so I can pick just that address to use if I want to. Also notice that all outgoing transactions do not have change.

The proof so far has been the receipts I have posted. They show how many bags worth.

On my next trip, maybe you want me to take a picture of me at the counter doing the transaction? I'm not likely to get an actual bag (and probably not until after December too), but the person at the counter will process everything.

3. 50 bags (30 meals per bag) = PHP 82,000.00 so that is about USD 1900.00 and currently approximately 5.3 BTC. I use up almost everything up to the last bag. The change is eventually given away to some kid on the street in the form of either actual money or some bread / bisquit / candy / unfinished burger / whatever that I have handy on me as I go drive home. Or to pay for the parking where I gave the donation.

I do not give to kids that are sniffing rubber cement (locally known as rugby, it's a brand name). Sniffing rubber cement makes you high, like you are on illegal drugs.

4. Local traders take a little bit of time, but its basically if someone wants to buy the balance in the 1food address, then I have them give me the fiat first. Can't take chances of sending it to the wrong person. As with all other trades, I agree with a price on the trader, and since he knows where it is coming from, he gets it close to the current market price. (preev/bitstamp/bitcoinaverage, BTC converted to USD converted to PHP +/- a few percent).

There is a new crypto-currency exchange that just opened in Makati with support for Bitcoins and Tagcoins, and 9 fiat currencies. But, trading activity has been low since it just opened.

5. A relief organization is doing this all. My intention in the original post was just to collect, give to the org, and they do the rest.

6. If you guys want me to do something else more involved, someone suggested that I get donations for my military unit. There was another thread and video about that, let me look it up quick.

For reference, here is an old youtube video of something we did in 2011. It's in a slide show format.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEGAZamHeWM

You can see me at 1:25, I'm the one with the faded uniform with a bag and a camera taking pictures. I am not in formation with the rest of the guys because, RHIP. (look it up, hehe.)

You can see me again at 2:20, I'm the guy 2nd from the right wearing sunglasses.

If, for whatever reason, I get 3K coins, my boss is going to allow me to go back and be active in my unit (weekend warrior), and I use those donations to support in whatever way I deem fit, with proper accounting of where everything is going to. And this should keep me busy for an entire year.

Possible uses for donated funds would be logistics, transport (the bus is free, gas is not), food (the labor is free, but you need to feed the volunteers), medicines (the doctor is doing pro-bono work, but the drugs are paid for), toys (given away to kids), bulk relief goods (repacked and given individually), medical equipment (the old ones have to be discarded or replaced), maybe an ambulance (if you want, I can plaster a bitcoin logo on the ambulance!).

The unit, while a part of the AFP (Armed Force of the Philippines) DOES NOT GET FUNDING. All the people you see in that video above? They ARE NOT PAID, including me.

Why do I do it then? Aside from the altruistic and ideals, and actually helping out the people, there are fringe benefits to wearing a military uniform. I don't get speeding or parking minor traffic violation tickets anymore, for one. Smiley And I have a discount on firearms and the legal paperwork needed to carry one. The Philippines does not have the equivalent of the US 2nd Amendment, so there's all sorts of hoops you have to jump through to buy and carry a legally recognized firearm.

I sometimes get a free pass when riding the bus or train (when I don't drive my car.)

Oh, and the security guard in our village salutes me. (okay, fine, they salute the rank, not the person, blah blah insert "Band of Brothers" blah blah)

That would be another project and another thread, but so far no one has seemed to want me to do that just yet.

This thread, is, "high level", meaning, you donate and trust that I send it where I said I would. I do that, and ... my responsibility at that point is done. We just realize later through the organization and reports and other news about what happened.

It's like donating to the Red Cross or some other Foundation.

I hope that addresses most of your concerns.

*edit* Sorry, I do pay for parking. Mistyped it when I posted.

Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:32:14 PM

I'm sure Dabs will do everything possible to address all your concerns in a professional manner. If not, I'll kick his ass.  Grin

But, that's not what I came here for.

Hey Dabs, I need any Bitcoin business you may be related to so that I can post it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=329396.msg3533934#msg3533934 It's a gift from GrabHive.

~TMIBTCITW
The only one I'm connected with right now is TagBond. Everything else I do is offline or some manual gambling thing (which won't fit in that situation.) If you're curious, sign up, it's free, use my referral ID so I get points.

http://tagbond.com/12971

||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:40:25 AM

Hi. Allow me to try to address each concern:

1. Bag = So far I've only gone to the pick-up center twice. Both times were immediately after some calamity. The first one was after the earthquake. This last one was after the super typhoon. In both cases, there was NO STOCK at the pick-up center of the bags.

The only reason for the bag to be there is if someone wants to take it home, for personal consumption, or for your own personal feeding project. Therefore, I could not even take a picture of even a sample bag. All the bags are at the main warehouse or something, going off to where they are needed.

Nu Skin as a business, operates on a very high level with un-salaried (unpaid) distributors, who make their income 100% from commissions. The employees of the corporate office do all the grunt work. The distributors, like me, are just sales people. (A good example analogy is that we're like real-estate agents; we don't own the house or land, we just sell it.)

Thanks for some of the feedback. If you don't pick up the bags to donate. Why did you say #5 then?

How it works:
6. Go back to step 1.

I was trying to get some funds from MtGox to donate, but MtGox won't allow me to withdraw my bitcoins. Sad news! I have a little in another wallet I'll send.

Get some new convincing photos of you doing stuff! Not just standing at a counter or riding a bus.
If I wanted that kind of verification, I'd send charity to the "Nigeria prince". Joking.

Keep doing the good work.
Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:47:39 AM

Thanks for some of the feedback. If you don't pick up the bags to donate. Why did you say #5 then?

How it works:
6. Go back to step 1.

That was the original plan. Fortunately, there are NO BAGS available every time I go there to pay for them, even for display purposes. It's fortunate because that means it's actually going out there to where its needed.

So, what happens is, I take a picture of the receipt, post here. The bag is already out there on its way to some hungry malnourished kid, who is probably homeless too.

I'll edit the first post to include "if there is a bag available."

thddx

Activity: 22

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:23:16 AM

Perhaps my original goal of 3k is out of reach.  If the Winklevoss twins really want to promote Bitcoin, they should stop doing press interviews and throw down some coins here.

Maybe they google their own names a lot and will find this thread...
Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:41:22 AM

Perhaps my original goal of 3k is out of reach.  If the Winklevoss twins really want to promote Bitcoin, they should stop doing press interviews and throw down some coins here.

Maybe they google their own names a lot and will find this thread...

If you want to get spotted, you need to include their full names too:
Cameron Howard Winklevoss
Tyler Howard Winklevoss

and you might as well include their "friends":
Mark Elliot Zuckerberg
Divya Narendra

Dabs (OP)
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:15:56 AM

Sold all the coins to Newar again, before the weekend. That's good for 46 bags. I need 4 more to make it 50. Who else wants to donate for the 4 bags? Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: