Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:35:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me with my new ASUS 5870 card.  (Read 1631 times)
sgravina (OP)

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:07:36 AM

I bought this 5870 card on ebay.

I took my 5870 out of my computer and put this 5870 in it's place.  The computer would not boot.  The light on the motherboard next to the card glows red.  It didn't glow with my older card.

Did I buy a bad card?

This new card is different because it has an 8 pin and a 6 pin power connecter.  Whereas all my other cards have two 6 pin power connectors.  I connected an 8 pin and 6 pin connecter and I connected two 6 pin connectors.  Neither situation worked.

Also the sticker on the card says it is this.  Whereas it clearly looks like this.

I have 21 other cards and I am trying to gradually upgrade all my 5830's to 5870s.  This is the first card I've ever bought that didn't work, but it is also the first one with an 8 pin power plug.  Does the 8 pin plug mean I'm missing something?

Here is a picture of the card I bought that doesn't work and has a 8 pin and 6 pin connector:

Here is a picture of the card I already own that does work and has two 6 pin connectors.

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiwiasian

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:44:24 AM

You don't have to make two threads.

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
kiwiasian

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:49:38 AM

Anyways...
You bought a non-reference card. Not a big deal.

Does your system complete POST, fail POST, or loop POST?

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:40:25 AM

If you've confirmed that your cpu/mobo/ram still work, which it sounds like you have, there are only a few options:

1) Dead card, RMA it to Asus if it still has the serial number sticker in good condition, the serial number is the only they they require for warranty service.

2) Dirty PCIe connector, spend some time cleaning it with 70% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol and try it again.

3) Monitor plugged into the wrong connector on the card.  This one is generally rare, but does happen on some specific cards.

4) Does your power supply have a real 8pin (or 6+2pin) PCIe power connector?  Sometimes the adapters won't work.  Please be sure you aren't trying to force a CPU 8pin power connector into the PCIe connector on the card.  That's bad.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
sgravina (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:19:26 AM

Anyways...
You bought a non-reference card. Not a big deal.

Does your system complete POST, fail POST, or loop POST?

The first thread made itself.  I don't know how.

The system won't post at all.  Nothing shows up on the screen with that card inserted.  The light next to the card indicates that there is a VGA error.  The motherboard is a ASUS P8P67 Pro.

sgravina (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:29:46 AM

If you've confirmed that your cpu/mobo/ram still work, which it sounds like you have, there are only a few options:

1) Dead card, RMA it to Asus if it still has the serial number sticker in good condition, the serial number is the only they they require for warranty service.

2) Dirty PCIe connector, spend some time cleaning it with 70% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol and try it again.

3) Monitor plugged into the wrong connector on the card.  This one is generally rare, but does happen on some specific cards.

4) Does your power supply have a real 8pin (or 6+2pin) PCIe power connector?  Sometimes the adapters won't work.  Please be sure you aren't trying to force a CPU 8pin power connector into the PCIe connector on the card.  That's bad.

The power supply does have an 8 pin connector which doesn't fit so I didn't use it.  It also has a 6+2 Pin connector which I tried with 6 pins and with all 8 pins connected.  Is the 6+2 pin connector is what is needed?

I believe the serial number sticker is not original.  The product ID on that sticker is for 'EAH5870/G/2DIS/1GD5/V2'  where as my card looks like a 'EAH5870/2DIS/1GD5/V2', the difference being 1 DVI connector or 2.

I've already asked the seller for a refund.  Too bad it looks like this was a nice card in it's prime.

thedrs

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:29:51 PM

Hi Sgravina,

I saw your previous card was a sapphire 5870 - exactly the same card I had.

Did you have any problems with it ?

I am running almost 2 months and keeps freezing and hanging my system (win 7 64bit, corei3-2100,gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 MB, no OC on GPU or CPU).

The GPU heats up quite a lot and i think it causes the mobo to freeze up the system.

I saw you are using an expensive asus mobo (ASUS P8P67 Pro), did you ever try using different mobos with the card ? maybe gigabyte ?

do you think my hunch is correct and the problem is that i am using mobos that are too sensitive to heat over time ?

This is the second gigabyte mobo i tried an both caused me system hangs every 24-72 hours.

sgravina (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 07:55:56 PM

Hi Sgravina,

I saw your previous card was a sapphire 5870 - exactly the same card I had.

Did you have any problems with it ?

No, my other 5870 is running great.  Actually I have 5 of these and they all run great.  They each do about 400 MHash/sec and run at about 74* C.  I have an extra fan blowing on my cards.

Sam
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 12:23:00 PM

I've always been a die-hard nVidia fan because everything always seemed to work.  Now that bitcoinland has made me sell off all my nVidia cards because they weren't making me any money, I keep having these crazy problems with these Radeons!  I got home from buying three 6870s from the store, brand new, and popped one in a computer.  Screen came up like a rainbow, but only after I installed the driver for it.  I take the second card out of the box, try it in the computer, same issue, after I install the driver I get this rainbow screen of death.  The first PC had an Asus Maximus Formula, and so I tried it on a tower with a DFI LanParty NF4.  Same exact problem, rainbow!  Tried a card on my mom's computer, an Asus P5L or something.  Boom, rainbow screen with a driver, didn't matter which one of the three brand new cards I try, I can't seem to install the driver on any of them.  Then I try using a VGA connector instead of a DVI.  Works like no problem in any scenario. 

BOO RADEONS.  Why won't they just work like GeForce!  GeForce never got bitchy over VGA!  BOOO

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: