Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:04:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mods now deleting WTS bumps?  (Read 2072 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 05:51:08 PM

Thread fell off front page instantly after 40 views, so I changed the price and bumped the thread. This proved useful and an interested party was found, however the mod then deleted the bump post.

How on earth are we meant to bump threads when its now outlawed.... gg forum trading

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 06:13:44 PM

You mean your bump post in this thread?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300150.0

Bump replies don't contain any useful information, clutter up threads and make scrolling through threads in search of information take more time.

Bumps are only deleted after more posts follow them as was in your case.

Signature space available for rent.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 06:34:07 PM

Bumps should be deleted for one of two reasons:

1 - There has been a new post since the bump, no reason to keep a useless post around
2 - Bumping too much, threads should only be bumped once per 24 hours
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 08:29:14 PM

You mean your bump post in this thread?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300150.0

Bump replies don't contain any useful information, clutter up threads and make scrolling through threads in search of information take more time.

Bumps are only deleted after more posts follow them as was in your case.
And how else can you get a relevant thread back onto the first page? That is the useful information, the OP.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:34:30 PM

I sometimes change my bumps into other information, so it's like a reserve post after someone has posted after the original post. Obviously not all the time.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:41:57 PM

I always delete my old bump before posting a new one.  That seems to be doing OK.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 08:46:54 PM

Mixed views about this, but it would be nice to see some proof, I know I've been deleted by a moderator for being off topic before ( lolololol ) but I think it seems silly to have a marketplace where people just spam to keep at the top page to get attention which is really all it is. It's a bit like how advertisements are on the internet now instead of trying to get peoples interest with a unique or well made product it's about getting peoples attention no matter how badly you annoy them.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:50:37 PM

I always delete my old bump before posting a new one.  That seems to be doing OK.

This should be a rule actually. Delete old bumps before posting a new one. It's effective and reduces 'bump' spams.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 09:04:10 PM

24 hours between bumps, or between initial post and bump has always been the rule, it's nothing new.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:26:53 PM

And how else can you get a relevant thread back onto the first page? That is the useful information, the OP.

The thread where I deleted your bump not long before before you started this thread is still on the front page (somewhere in the middle).
Deleting a bump after more posts were made has no influence on which page your thread's on.

Mixed views about this, but it would be nice to see some proof, I know I've been deleted by a moderator for being off topic before ( lolololol ) but I think it seems silly to have a marketplace where people just spam to keep at the top page to get attention which is really all it is. It's a bit like how advertisements are on the internet now instead of trying to get peoples interest with a unique or well made product it's about getting peoples attention no matter how badly you annoy them.

The rule is 1 bump per day per topic and 1.25 bumps per day across all of a user's topics (on average). I have received complaints for a ) enforcing this rule; and b ) not enforcing it enough.
a ) was from people who didn't like that their post count decreased (sometimes it was in relation to them participating in paid signature advertising schemes) or who wanted their threads to be many pages long to appear more "reputable"; and b ) was from people irritated to see a thread with 100 replies and most of them "bump" or "up" (sometimes wasting their time looking for information such as other users' feedback about OP) or from people who thought I was targeting them and pointing to other threads where bumps weren't deleted yet — it's hard to keep up with everything so you can report such posts though it's not the most important thing in the world (especially if OP abides by the rules and doesn't bump more than once per 24h).

I know I've been deleted by a moderator for being off topic before ( lolololol )

It's very easy to stray Off-topic so it can happen to pretty much anyone, though sometimes posts are not deleted but split from the rest of the topic.

Signature space available for rent.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:45:01 PM

24 hours between bumps, or between initial post and bump has always been the rule, it's nothing new.

No. I already know that has been a rule. But, I mean to delete your bump before you post another bump. To reduce spam. Even if someone has posted after your initial post. It's really annoying when there are like 10 bumps in one topic. Scrolling down is horrible.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 12:11:23 AM

I'd say to the above comments that I actually decreased the price. Rather than spamming with "OMGOGNMOGN PRICE DECREASE NOW THIS PRICE GET IT NOW", I simply said bump (18 hours?) after the OP.

Maybe the message deleted messages should actually give some context/be selectable between a few presets. In this case, it was because it had been ~18 hours between bumps and not 24, rather than being bumped itself.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 08:56:30 AM

I'd say to the above comments that I actually decreased the price. Rather than spamming with "OMGOGNMOGN PRICE DECREASE NOW THIS PRICE GET IT NOW", I simply said bump (18 hours?) after the OP.

Maybe the message deleted messages should actually give some context/be selectable between a few presets. In this case, it was because it had been ~18 hours between bumps and not 24, rather than being bumped itself.

Doesn't.matter, if we start giving exceptions for that, people WILL abuse it and use price drops of a satoshi to bump their threads. People will abuse any rule they can.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
gadman2
Legendary

Activity: 977

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:02:57 PM

Yeah, I had about 3 of my bumps deleted, all bumps of which were more than 24 hours apart, some probably closer to 72 hours apart, and 3 pages behind the 1st. Kinda pointless.

jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 09:49:44 AM

+1 to our moderators for diligently cleaning the forum. Does moderators has salaries?

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 08:19:10 PM

Yeah, I had about 3 of my bumps deleted, all bumps of which were more than 24 hours apart, some probably closer to 72 hours apart, and 3 pages behind the 1st. Kinda pointless.
I don't see the issue here unless the last "bump" was deleted. All other "bump" posts have 0 value and there's no reason to keep them.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 08:26:34 PM

+1 to our moderators for diligently cleaning the forum. Does moderators has salaries?

Does this count as off-topic?

What is considered a bump for the 24h per bump rule? I understand just saying "bump" would count, but if you post something like "I am lowering the price to x btc" twelve hours after your OP, does that break the rule?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 08:35:27 PM

Does this count as off-topic?

What is considered a bump for the 24h per bump rule? I understand just saying "bump" would count, but if you post something like "I am lowering the price to x btc" twelve hours after your OP, does that break the rule?
It's discretion of the moderator. If it looks like the "update" was purely for bumping, then it will be deleted.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: