Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:49:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people waste money on useless things for mining?  (Read 13045 times)
mikemoore90 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 01:20:37 AM

Im a bit new to mining but let me say ive been seeing alot of people buy stupid things you dont need for mining... correct me if im wrong.

Rasberry pi= i see videos and pictures of people buying these things that cost around 60 bucks and they just run 4 block erupters on them... just use a usb hub you guys have computers right? waste of money unless your running a big rig of usb asics

Buying overpriced usb block erupters= ive been seeing this on the web alot stores like bitcoinrigs.org or ebay selling block erupters for 35$, 50$ even 65$ each! and people are buying them! Go on amazon they sell block erupters brand new sealed for 18-20 a piece and btcguild sells them for .18 btc and when you buy them you get coupons for them .03 btc off...

GPU= Gpu mining is basically outdated now pretty much. along with the high prices of a gpu that cost 500$ and runs at 300 mh/s

please stop wasting your money, money is valuable i cry everytime i see these things  Cry whishing i had that much money to spendBTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Thyatis

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 01:38:41 AM

ok gpu mining is $200 for 630 hash. which is the only thing that can mine alt coins. rasp i is all about electricity cost less to run one than a pc.

My Reputation information   | [/color]
Contact Information -  Google Talk & Email - thyatis@thyatis.com |
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 02:56:41 AM

Im a bit new to mining but let me say ive been seeing alot of people buy stupid things you dont need for mining... correct me if im wrong.

Rasberry pi= i see videos and pictures of people buying these things that cost around 60 bucks and they just run 4 block erupters on them... just use a usb hub you guys have computers right? waste of money unless your running a big rig of usb asics

Buying overpriced usb block erupters= ive been seeing this on the web alot stores like bitcoinrigs.org or ebay selling block erupters for 35$, 50$ even 65$ each! and people are buying them! Go on amazon they sell block erupters brand new sealed for 18-20 a piece and btcguild sells them for .18 btc and when you buy them you get coupons for them .03 btc off...

GPU= Gpu mining is basically outdated now pretty much. along with the high prices of a gpu that cost 500$ and runs at 300 mh/s

please stop wasting your money, money is valuable i cry everytime i see these things  Cry whishing i had that much money to spendBTC

Why would you care? More people mining, no matter what they pay is a good thing. Do you complain when people buy expensive clothes or waste money on movie tickets instead of waiting for the DVD release? Pointless.
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 03:01:04 AM

I had 60+ GPU systems mining, I had Samsung SATA SSD drives for all my miners. Never had one fail either.

Does that count as wasting money?

aristodemus
Donator

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 03:49:59 AM

Here is my perspective:

As for the raspberry pi, well it uses a lot less electricity compared to my gaming laptop.  Heck, just the power supply for my laptop is as big as 6 raspberry pi's.

As for the block eruptors, well people are willing to pay what they pay because of the value they perceive.  Remember, this value doesn't have to be counted just in terms of money returned from mining.  For some, perhaps it is the ease with which a vendor/reseller makes the process that justifies the added expense. For others, they might do it to support their favorite pool.  At this stage, I think the majority of the people buying ASIC Miner block eruptors are doing so either for fun or educational purposes.  When it comes to fun and learning, most of us have a hard time not wasting money when we have it.

As for the GPUs, I keep mine for two reasons.  The first is to support alt coins in the hope that they will be a source of future innovation in the cryptocurrency space.  The second, is just in case bitcoin ever did have to move away from sha256 on to something like scrypt.  I'd want to be ready.   

mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:32:13 AM

I bought a raspberry pi for three reasons:

• I don't have a desktop PC I want to run 24/7
  • Power consumption is very minimal
  • Doubles as a passable NAS (see first point)
  • Gnu tools! My other local machines run Windows. It comes in handy sometimes.

No
RChevalier

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:37:28 AM

Some people mine as a hobby believe it or not.  People are into a ton of different expensive hobbies.  Cycling, Saltwater Aquariums, Collecting watches etc...

For me it's collecting GPUs.  I love setting up mining rigs... to the point of disassembling them and doing it over again including the OS installation.  Does that make me crazy? mmm... maybe.  But I guess it doesn't matter as long as I'm enjoying myself.  That and I'm hoarding litecoins.  

Because one day, computers will take over the world.  And they won't take physical currency.
skleven

Activity: 281

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 07:22:49 AM

When the temprature now goes below 0c outside, it`s nice to know my 3 "heaters" is actually making money.
And when everybody said that the scrypt coins would be flooded with gpu`s when the asics took over sha256,
they where all wrong. Ofcource you can`t make much money now days, but my gpu`s still make a profit. And
heating my house. Wink And another thing, today i belive AMD will release som info on their new R9 series. It may
be a gamechanger in a short period of time, or not.  Tongue
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 07:26:11 AM

Maybe if you mined, you'd have some money? 
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 08:10:09 AM

Well, my RPi was just sitting there not being used and chews very minimal power compared to my desktop or laptop, plus it's good to have separate in case I need to reboot etc.

yolo2424

Activity: 46

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 10:20:18 AM

Why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_YUjXHGsoU
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

you can't prove that people are buying up BEs at that price....those who are initiated have become hip to that price rate and are waiting for the prices to drop further ... down to like the 5-7 dollar price range.  Only fools who were to part ways with their money will be quick to buybuybuy before analyzing profitability (like paying 3 btc for 10 BE with a usb hub for sales as a 'rig' on amazon.

the raspberry pi will pay for itself in the amount of power you no longer consume from having a pc on mining constantly (there are limits though, like i have heard that a limit of 50 Block erupters can be utilized.  Will pay for itself even faster when you consider that it is quick to setup and can be configured to run stable for extended periods of time including being able to be easily setup to mine on Start.  (windows in theory could be scheduled to do this as well, but again, we are talking about an entire PC used to run devices as opposed to a small unit that could also do the same task.  Also, its much easier to design a solar powered setup with Uninteruptible power supply especially with BE's and a Raspberry Pi. 

Also, I'm endorsing mining alt-coins when bitcoin is no longer profitable so that the remainder of roi can be generated from your hardware.

polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 01:55:37 PM

If money not used, then it is completely wasted as you don't use that. Consider today's business. If you have some ideas about the Q3, then you know the problem is.  People support the mining as, the being is bounded, monitored by all people.

In Equipment view, Many people are fell into supplier's misconceptions.  There are many things to check. If you typical equipment, Then PCI-E x1M to x16f is the portal to build a dual-GPU mining system with normal board like AMD A55, Intel P43 varies.

Additionally is USB 2.0 PCI card
Last thing is PCI-E x1 USB 3.0 card

Software is *nix, always. I have found equipment runs with *nix, better than Windows.

Also, More than 100Gh/s, in 28nm, must be extremely careful as the being has little chance to be released. Remember the BFL.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:54:20 PM

I think people like to drop the phrase "My pi" in casual conversation. It places them a notch above the Apple store guru. An RPi + 4 Eruptors also costs much less than a new iPhone, so it is not really a waste of money in the grand scheme of things.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 06:02:17 PM

rPi is about the worst possible example of "waste of money".

Say your home PC uses 120 watts idle.  The pi uses 4.  Keeping both on 24/7 means the PC in a year that is more than 1,000 kWh.  At $0.10 per kWh that is $100 in wasted electricity.  When you consider that for most people that means 500 kWh of additional heat for half the year and the AC costs to cool that it is probable closer to $120 in wasted cost.

PC is just about the worst possible platform for mining.  It just happened that there is no good/easy way to access GPUs without one.  Now that the GPU era is over there is really no reason to ever use a general purpose PC for mining.
mikemoore90 (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 08:33:07 PM

you can't prove that people are buying up BEs at that price....those who are initiated have become hip to that price rate and are waiting for the prices to drop further ... down to like the 5-7 dollar price range.  Only fools who were to part ways with their money will be quick to buybuybuy before analyzing profitability (like paying 3 btc for 10 BE with a usb hub for sales as a 'rig' on amazon.

the raspberry pi will pay for itself in the amount of power you no longer consume from having a pc on mining constantly (there are limits though, like i have heard that a limit of 50 Block erupters can be utilized.  Will pay for itself even faster when you consider that it is quick to setup and can be configured to run stable for extended periods of time including being able to be easily setup to mine on Start.  (windows in theory could be scheduled to do this as well, but again, we are talking about an entire PC used to run devices as opposed to a small unit that could also do the same task.  Also, its much easier to design a solar powered setup with Uninteruptible power supply especially with BE's and a Raspberry Pi. 

Also, I'm endorsing mining alt-coins when bitcoin is no longer profitable so that the remainder of roi can be generated from your hardware.

yes i know some idiots buy used rigs that are 3x the price and outdated but i actually have bought block erupters of amazon for 17$ and they are working great
Slander

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 09:40:14 PM

This is great troll bait, which I think was the original intention.

My first response was going to be 'how do you type with all that drool on your keyboard?'

However, I've decided to feed the troll with 'I have more money than I know what to do with so I amuse myself with watching shares accepted all day', its like watching the old windows defrag program, hypnotic.

Fess up, how many people just used to sit and watch that defrag moving stuff around?

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 10:10:44 PM

My first response was going to be 'how do you type with all that drool on your keyboard?'

However, I've decided to feed the troll with 'I have more money than I know what to do with so I amuse myself with watching shares accepted all day', its like watching the old windows defrag program, hypnotic.

Fess up, how many people just used to sit and watch that defrag moving stuff around?

staring ad the defrag?Huh you just dated yourself buddy - my generation couldnt be bothered and went into the adjacent room to whip out some mario brothers 3 on the square NES

-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 01:09:55 AM

Why do people waste money on useless things for mining?

I buy them because they are blue, of course.  If they're shiney, too, that makes them even cooler.

And to make poor people cry.  That's an extra added benefit....
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 01:40:24 AM

Plus I constantly defrag my SSDs, just to watch the NAND burn

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: