Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:22:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people waste money on useless things for mining?  (Read 13049 times)
lajz99

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 01:53:20 AM

I like blinking lights.

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crudpuppy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:39:29 AM

Lol.  While currently I don't have a Pi I am getting one sooner or later.  Why?  Cause I'm a gadget freak!  Yes I have a computer that stay's on 24/7 anyway which is what is currently running part of my mining at least the bitcoin parts.  Why would I run another setup on top of that?  Cause I can and its fun to setup.  This to me is same as asking why I setup my own home survelence with zoneminder instead of buying a cheap camera box they sell for that.  Or why I run LMCE media center with dumb terminals getting their os over netboot.  Cause I'm a geek and its fun to setup once its setup I gets boring so I build something else!

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
crudpuppy

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:34:32 AM

Lol I used amazon gift cards I had gotten from some various sites to fund my first purchase as well.  hehe  Gotta love amazon!

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
cardcomm

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 04:37:20 PM

Since this thread is about buying useless things for mining, I figured I'd mention the little gadget I bought to use monitor my Raspberry Pi mining setup. Yes, I have a Pi, AND a tiny LCD display to show my miner status...

I already had a Pi mining, saw this little display, bought one, and wrote some software for it. Actually, it's FAR from useless, and I don't think it was a waste of money at all Smiley

http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/

Too bad you can't get one with an Amazon gift card...  LOL

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 03:40:42 AM

Since this thread is about buying useless things for mining, I figured I'd mention the little gadget I bought to use monitor my Raspberry Pi mining setup. Yes, I have a Pi, AND a tiny LCD display to show my miner status...

I already had a Pi mining, saw this little display, bought one, and wrote some software for it. Actually, it's FAR from useless, and I don't think it was a waste of money at all Smiley

Dude, this is awesome!

nerdcustoms

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 04:29:26 AM

^^ Wow, that is pretty awesome. I feel left out now.

*Image Removed*
Reputation Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202142
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 04:35:35 AM

Yeah I bought one of those screens for another use, but decided after seeing cardcomms stuff that I would give it at try with minepeon...now to figure out why it cannot be seen on my hub :/

MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 11:43:28 AM

This is great troll bait, which I think was the original intention.

My first response was going to be 'how do you type with all that drool on your keyboard?'

However, I've decided to feed the troll with 'I have more money than I know what to do with so I amuse myself with watching shares accepted all day', its like watching the old windows defrag program, hypnotic.

Fess up, how many people just used to sit and watch that defrag moving stuff around?

dude you know this lol , man its like visual CRACK. i stopped doing that when i actualy got some real crack now i stare at the shadow people who come out of the walls .
MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 11:51:51 AM

https://raw.github.com/cardcomm/cgminerLCDStats/master/lcd_and_pi-small.jpg

Dude, this is awesome!

Thats great man , how do i set one up and how much dose that cost
Slander

Activity: 171

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 01:34:02 PM

Just looked on your page (nice page by the way). How does that plug into rpi? do you need an adapter for the rpi hdmi connection?

redtwitz

Activity: 231

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 02:19:11 PM

Since beginning of August, the difficulty has risen 30 % in every adjustment. Assuming it stays that way, you can easily compute an upper bound for the lifetime earnings of any mining device: Take the weekly earnings at the current difficulty and multiply them by 6.7. 330 MH/s should make BTC 0.00781 in a week, so the upper bound formula gives BTC 0.052327.

If you mine solely for profit, since the block eruptors cost at least twice that much, the Raspberry Pi isn't wasted money; the block eruptors are.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:04:28 AM

I like geek toys.  I think these tiny computers are cool, and mining happens to be a fun and useful thing to do with them.

I have a BeagleBone Black, several Pis, and a WR703N all mining right now.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:53:43 AM

Bug report: That screen is reporting MtGox on it. Don't waste pixels on useless information.

No
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 09:55:44 AM

I like geek toys.   a WR703N all mining right now.

Same here.  I love having that £10 box run my miners, despite there being an i5 machine running 24/7 right beside it.  Grin 
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 03:26:07 PM

Bug report: That screen is reporting MtGox on it. Don't waste pixels on useless information.

Lulz +1

infamousdutch

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 08:01:18 AM

This is awesome!  Too bad my units are in a datacenter, I'd love an excuse to build one of these.

madcratebuilder

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:27:07 PM

You see people pay crazy prices for items, I don't try to understand it.  In my case I paid the following.
Pi $35
Pi case $8
Pi PSU $5
2 Roswell 10 port 4 amp hubs $40
1 D-Link 7 port 3.5 amp hub $15
16 asic rev3 miners $300

uses 42 watts of power
5.3 Ghs

That's about $80 a Ghs, not good.  But I already had the Pi, only cost was the miners, still that's $56 a Ghs. Not good.  I'm looking at a used BFL 60 GH/s miner for $2200 or about $35 a Ghs.  

It's a hobby!
kuusj98

Activity: 812

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:44:13 PM

It is just fun, that is why we buy this shit.

And BTW, why not? You'd need 50K and the miners right now to even make a living out this these days.

In 2010, you had to buy 10 medium end GFX's and make buckloads of money. (Maybe not that time, but 1 year later the price skyrockets.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:50:40 PM

I'd like to point out that in another thread the OP started he asks about cooling his 20 USB block erupters. Shocked
lajz99

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:53:39 PM

I'd like to point out that in another thread the OP started he asks about cooling his 20 USB block erupters. Shocked

Maybe he wants to learn more about himself?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: