Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:45:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [LEGAL] 30gh/s MinerD Botnet ?  (Read 3183 times)
dddbtc (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 06:35:47 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2013, 06:55:52 PM by dddbtc

I have permission from the great and powerful sysops and my school's computer science club to set up a botnet using a select "pool" of university computers with Windows 7.  The money will go back to raising money for the club itself (cuz we have no monies  Cry)  I will have administrator access to the computers for setup purposes, I can also edit an installation image using the Windows AIK (I already know how to use it) and have the changes pushed to all computers I am allowed to use during the next "reimage" process.

The computers all have intel i5/i7 so the total speed I am looking at is 5GH/s - 10GH/s (on sha256, idk about scrypt)

The computers I am using are on but locked or logged off until someone uses it.

What would be the best way to go about:

1. Running minerd in the background so it is not visible
2. Running minerd so it only mines during timed intervals OR mines in the background constantly until the computer is in use by a user

I planned on using a scrypt profit-switch pool such as middlecoin.com or hashco.ws or multipool.in to mine the altcoins and have them autoexchanged into BTC.

Or should I mine primecoin/curecoin to feel like we're helping the world  Tongue

Either way, I appreciate any help you guys can provide.  I'm a 3rd year economics student and will likely be writing my dissertation on Modern Monetary Theory & Cryptocurrencies.

EDIT: If you don't feel disseminating such information in a public form, PM me or email dddbtc@gmail.com everything about my project is legit. But if you don't want information falling into the hands of virus manufacturers, etc we can talk in private. I'd really appreciate any help anyone could provide

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 08:10:00 PM

Mine 24/24 or until someone use the computer. I have made a C++ program that does this and hide any software in the background, or you can search for stealth miner on this forum.

edit: yes, forget about SHA256 and mine scrypt coin.
juhakall

Activity: 657

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 09:25:08 PM

Do the sysops and/or science club understand that this operation will surely be unprofitable, if power costs are factored in?

I'm currently developing an experimental social AI platform
crudpuppy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 01:33:01 AM

Honestly that has nothing to do with what he asked but given that on most college campus these machines are running 24/7 anyway and the power they take is paid by the student body's tuition anyway.  So at least for the club he is trying to get funding for it is all free and clear.  Sorta like a renter using power the landlord pays for.

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:02:30 AM

you can run minerd at low priority so it goes flat out when computer idle but when computer is being used higher priority operations get processing power

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
dddbtc (OP)

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:01:59 AM

As far as electricity goes, the university gets "free" government electricity and leaves all the lights on in many buildings on all night long, it wasn't approached as a concern when this project was approved.  So I'm not going to factor that in until I am approached about it.  In all honesty, I don't think they'll notice, its likely going to be a drop in the bucket.

The only concerns I got were from faculty/administrators were:

Don't DDOS the network
Don't create any kind of mass network security vulnerability

I've already provided the sources of cpuminer, minerd, and minerd-scrypt-jane to a professor for him to pick through the source code.  He understands (for the most part) how cryptocurrencies function.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:30:50 AM

I would say mine Litecoins. Convert them to bitcoin on an exchange and buy ASICS from megabigpower.com or through forum auctions. Then use the earnings from ASIC for whatever use you guys want to.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 07:14:11 AM

I would say mine Litecoins. Convert them to bitcoin on an exchange and buy ASICS from megabigpower.com or through forum auctions. Then use the earnings from ASIC for whatever use you guys want to.

I think he tries to use the existing resources, ie CPU. So ASIC is not a good option, because they are not in a business to expand.
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 01:28:48 PM

CPU mining? Just ask your IT department to give you five bucks and save the school the terrible electrical and hardware costs.

Seriously, idle computers versus computers mining isn't even near the same resource usage, and you're a terrible person to try to mislead the admin.

e: Jesus fucking christ you're talking about running 250-500 computers into the ground, do you realise the economic and environmental issues?

mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:20:09 PM

CPU mining? Just ask your IT department to give you five bucks and save the school the terrible electrical and hardware costs.

Seriously, idle computers versus computers mining isn't even near the same resource usage, and you're a terrible person to try to mislead the admin.

e: Jesus fucking christ you're talking about running 250-500 computers into the ground, do you realise the economic and environmental issues?

Not that different than running folding@home or seti@home was?

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
crudpuppy

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:54:17 PM

Wow they guys with negative responses have you ever been to college?  meaning live on campus one.  Not a intelligence insult just more about the way a campus is run/is.  College is a place for experimentation etc and expanding minds without worry of the rest.  The poster noted he was a economics student meaning this is also largely an experiment/project about the economics of cryptocurrencies.  He has said he showed the IT guys not only what it is but gave them source code of miners so they should be well aware at this point of what he is talking about running on these PCs.  Leave the poor guy alone about the idea of it now.

That being said since these are windows machines and wont be logged in most normal mining software wont be ableto be run in background.  You need to make it into a server for windows that could be run background and with service controls set to make sure this service is low priority should allow what you need.  Thing is you'll need someone with some windows programming nohow to wrap the existing miners as a service.  Most are simple dos type apps so should be easy enough.  There may even be some app out in the wild that does this already.

surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:32:07 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2013, 08:56:45 PM by surebet

Not that different than running folding@home or seti@home was?

Kinda, and that's why there aren't any more large deployments because school resources are limited. Also one could argue that folding@home and other similar projects are more in line with faculty mentalities than a project that literally is just "I want money and I'm willing to use exponentially more of yours to get it".

Wow they guys with negative responses have you ever been to college?  meaning live on campus one.  Not a intelligence insult just more about the way a campus is run/is.  

Yes, currently attending, having also participated in student projects and their financing. I've also sat on enough admin side committees to know how a school runs.

College is a place for experimentation etc and expanding minds without worry of the rest.  The poster noted he was a economics student meaning this is also largely an experiment/project about the economics of cryptocurrencies.  

Yes, but in this case the objective is literally point miners to a pool, ..., get money to do stuff.

He has said he showed the IT guys not only what it is but gave them source code of miners so they should be well aware at this point of what he is talking about running on these PCs.  Leave the poor guy alone about the idea of it now.

No need to see the source code, the admin obviously hasn't been notified that his machines are going to run maxed out 24/7 minus the actual user interruption, maybe.

CPU mining is beyond retarded, and generating 5-10Gh/s involves running hundreds of machines.

250 computers with a decent CPU will blow through ~40$ of electricity at my really low local rates, so double or triple that for most US locations, per day.

It would generate about 3$ of bitcoins.

edit: Just to keep it more simple, a single machine pulling 250W (aka not that much) would cost about 60¢ to run per day, and would generate 0.8¢ per day in revenue. This excludes the wear and tear cost. Multiply by however many machines.

A third year economics student pushing forward on this project doesn't deserve to graduate.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:26:14 PM

That being said since these are windows machines and wont be logged in most normal mining software wont be ableto be run in background.  You need to make it into a server for windows that could be run background and with service controls set to make sure this service is low priority should allow what you need.  Thing is you'll need someone with some windows programming nohow to wrap the existing miners as a service.  Most are simple dos type apps so should be easy enough.  There may even be some app out in the wild that does this already.

I'm pretty sure you can install the miner as a service via the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Or via command line:
Code:
path\INSTSRV.EXE My Service path\SRVANY.EXE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

You won't need to login for the software to start when the system boot. You only need a wrapper to control the intensity when the computer isn't idle and hide the miner in the background. Maybe it's even possible to recompile CGminer with CPU support and use the auto-intensity feature.
crudpuppy

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:35:00 PM

I guess it depends on the school to all the ones with negative spin on it but this is from a guy that got busted for hacking the comp sci department(literal legal trouble cause of a password I gave someone else who was an idiot) and then was still let back in by the sysadmin the following week with a grin and a "oh so you want back on?"  Granted that was like 98 and the whole thing was just way beyond and amazed most folks.

OtaconEmmerich

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 06:38:49 AM

surebet pretty much said everything that had to be said, Don't do it. It's a waste of time and power. There's little profit to be made anyways with 10 GH anyways. That's less then 5$ a day, I'm pretty sure you can earn more then that just begging on campus.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: