Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:56:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust on Bloomberg  (Read 10972 times)
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:02:04 AM

Don't see why not listing the public address would make you paranoid that they didn't even hold the BTC or something.  They aren't concerned about you getting the private key, but maybe they don't want to disclose, when they don't have to, where it's located, how it's distributed (one on address, or many), how much others have invested, and the paper trail of where that BTC came from and moved.  Seems reasonable to me really..
Reasonable guesses; it will be interesting to get SecondMarket's response.

Would there be a way for someone to "sign" a message proving they have control of a certain amount of Bitcoins *without* revealing any public addresses?  Is this akin to what I've heard discussed called "Proof of Stake"?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
David Rabahy

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:14:14 AM

Why not just buy a casasuis gold bitcoin.  Gold coins are allowed in an IRA.  You'd rather buy an ETF then actual bitcoins.  Makes no sense.
Gold coins are allowed in an IRA *but* they must be held by a custodian -- you are not allowed to store the coins yourself.  This is a common misconception.

I would *much* rather just buy Bitcoins but I can't with my IRA -- btw, I have purchased Bitcoins with non-retirement funds which is great but I want more.  The next best thing would be to find a custodian that would hold Bitcoins for me but I tried but failed to find one.  I even started to explore creating a trust company but I soon discovered that's real work and very costly.  Now I have found Equity Institutional is willing to be my custodian to hold shares of a Unit Investment Trust (UIT), specifically the Bitcoin Investment Trust offered by SecondMarket.  Granted it is not the same as owning Bitcoins myself but it'll have to do for now.  Perhaps one day another custodian will come along and offer to hold Bitcoins for my IRA but until then I don't have that option.

If/when the/an ETF is finally stood then I will evaluate that approach as compared to the SecondMarket UIT.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:21:26 AM

Now I have found Equity Institutional is willing to be my custodian to hold shares of a Unit Investment Trust (UIT), specifically the Bitcoin Investment Trust offered by SecondMarket.

What account type are you using, EI's Flex IRA?

Buy & Hold
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:18:19 PM

what are the implications of this

Not important, except for the publicity it brings.
David Rabahy

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:00:01 PM

What account type are you using, EI's Flex IRA?
Yes.

If you or anyone else is interested then let me know and I will connect you to the folks I'm working with.  Perhaps we should suggest a referral program.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: