Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:37:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill - Now accepting EUR deposits - EUR market is live!  (Read 9983 times)
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 08:11:39 AM

I think a native EUR market (and other currencies) is a very good idea. I hope it becomes succesful enough for people to stop thinking bitcoins are denominated in $$$ Smiley

Exactly. A native market for BTC/EUR will eventually provide the necessary liquidity. The Euro is the world's second largest reserve currency and it is used significantly in global trade. SEPA provides the speed and maintains the low cost for deposits/withdrawals to and from TradeHill. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area

Those wanting to fund for the thUSD trading platform can simply instruct their European-based bank to convert to USD and send outbound international wire (non-SEPA) to the USD deposit account https://www.tradehill.com/DepositOverview/USD

This is a positive development for TradeHill.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:48:01 PM

This exactly what I wanted to use TradeHill

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 02:35:00 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2011, 06:14:02 PM by Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

We've updated the deposit info.
If your bank had requested more information it is now available.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the EUR/BTC pair.
We want a distributed system with multiple exchanges etc we shouldn't all be using USD as the benchmark.

It should also be faster / cheaper for Europeans to trade EUR/BTC than USD/BTC.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Seraphim401

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:07:41 PM

Hope you get the trade in $ and withdraw in € working quickly,otherwise I still have to put up with Gox.
Got excited for nothing!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 08:44:40 AM

--> USD to BTC ; BTC to EUR <--

Cheesy

moneyandtech.com
Seraphim401

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 08:49:58 AM

Cheesy

Would work if anyone was bying with €.
Or am I missing something here https://www.tradehill.com/MarketData/EUR

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:10:35 AM

Most likely payments are still being processed by banks/tradehill...

On a side note:
Now I also got some 0.1 Australian cents from referrals - it seems though that the minimum trade amount is 1 unit of each fiat currency (1 USD, 1 AUD, 1 LR). How will I ever get anything for this AUD?! I can't buy BTC with it, I can't withdraw it and I can't transfer it to someone's account who might have some use for it... Please make commissions give BTC (and ONLY BTC!) either via a switch for each currency or by default really soon.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:33:06 AM

Cheesy

bitmarket.eu has some liquidity in EUR. I myself have sold a couple of dozen BTC on there. thing is - you need to process the payments, release the BTC yourself.. if youre a TRADER, it's not for you.
Seraphim401

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:38:45 AM

Cheesy

bitmarket.eu has some liquidity in EUR. I myself have sold a couple of dozen BTC on there. thing is - you need to process the payments, release the BTC yourself.. if youre a TRADER, it's not for you.
Yeah I checked them out a while ago.
I don't like it.My only hope now is for Gox to get their shit together.

On a side note:If Mark dies, are Gox users fucked?
Seems he's the one with the major strings.

nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:53:49 AM

SEPA transfers take a few days. Tomorrow you will probably start to see some activity

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 02:32:12 PM

There is quite a bit flowing in. A few people have been credited and when they log back in will most likely place orders.
The liquidity should be there quickly.

I'm excited to watch this market grow.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
DDreez

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:07:06 PM

TradeHill is now accepting Euro deposits and withdrawals!

We will not be charging a fee for SEPA transfers. Incoming and outgoing transfers within the SEPA zone are both free.

Tell your friends in Europe and let the Bitcoin trading begin!

Follow this link for instructions and bank details:
https://www.tradehill.com/DepositOverview/EUR

Jered

Excellent!
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:52:44 PM

I'm excited to watch this market grow.
Who is matonis, the EUR account holder? Is that a person or company?
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:36:58 PM

We want a distributed system with multiple exchanges etc we shouldn't all be using USD as the benchmark.
USD is the benchmark, and any attempt to create separate markets for each fiat currency will only create needless friction and arbitrage opportunities, and lower total liquidity. It's like self imposed protectionism. Your timing could have been perfect with Mtgox loosing their Euro option, and I even exchanged everything I had there to BTC yesterday and transferred it to your site to try it out. It's disappointing to see that it was useless because of the lack of a fundamental feature like this. I'm still hoping that you are just making excuses, and that the only reason why it's missing is that it is hard to implement.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:50:25 PM

separate markets for each fiat currency will only create needless friction and arbitrage opportunities, and lower total liquidity.
I don't see what this friction would be? More arbitrage opportunities means more liquidity not less.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:19:52 PM

USD is the benchmark, and any attempt to create separate markets for each fiat currency will only create needless friction and arbitrage opportunities, and lower total liquidity. It's like self imposed protectionism. Your timing could have been perfect with Mtgox loosing their Euro option, and I even exchanged everything I had there to BTC yesterday and transferred it to your site to try it out. It's disappointing to see that it was useless because of the lack of a fundamental feature like this. I'm still hoping that you are just making excuses, and that the only reason why it's missing is that it is hard to implement.
Sorry, but the USD is just the leading currency because it's the only one traded at MtGox who have 10 times the volume than any other exchange at the moment. Would it have been Japanese Yen, you would send now foreign transfers to Japan or converting your USD to JPY...

You can trade USD on tradehill just fine and if you need USD, just pay out via a foreign currency transfer.

I will hopefully NEVER again have to trade in USD again (a currency which I currently try to get rid of as fast as possible, taking into consideration that there seem to be major issues currently cooking in the US) and would encourage anyone else too to just trade in your native currency (if available).

As a hint: the file hoster "uploaded.to" which is quite well known in Germany and the EU announced that they soon accept Bitcoin payments (~around next week). This alone could lead to a very substantial Euro <--> Bitcoin market - and having free SEPA wire transfers that are fairly fast helps too.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 10:27:31 PM

Who is matonis, the EUR account holder? Is that a person or company?

It's a business account.

We may add it soon. Technically it's not hard to implement. We want to be sure that we have sufficient funds on both sides of the Atlantic.  
The Euro needs it's own market and this allows you to use SEPA without paying a fee to change to USD. We would like to offer both if possible.

separate markets for each fiat currency will only create needless friction and arbitrage opportunities, and lower total liquidity.
I don't see what this friction would be? More arbitrage opportunities means more liquidity not less.

That's the way I see it as well. I see cross currency arb behaving similar to cross exchange arb. TradeHill and Mt Gox stay pretty close because of this. I see EUR and USD holding close as well because as soon as the gap widens someone jumps in and makes a profit. It will take a few days to ramp up as these deposits come in and get credited but after that it should be liquid enough.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:38:11 PM

What about getting rid of the "dead" currencies in the interface btw? (those without a way to pay in or get out money)

In the future I'd love to suggest that you just announce a date (could be for example on the 25.7. for the Euro) on which the market officially starts and ~1-2 weeks before open the deposit option (and display the currency in the interface). This would mean there is something to trade right from the beginning, people get anxious and put up first sell orders already and it will show how many currencies you really support (currently: CLP, EUR, LR (I guess USD?), USD, INR, AUD). I had to tell already quite a few people that it is NOT possible to get some british pounds for the holidays for example through Tradehill even though GBP is written there and you can also give sell orders.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 11:26:47 PM

What about getting rid of the "dead" currencies in the interface btw? (those without a way to pay in or get out money)

In the future I'd love to suggest that you just announce a date (could be for example on the 25.7. for the Euro) on which the market officially starts and ~1-2 weeks before open the deposit option (and display the currency in the interface). This would mean there is something to trade right from the beginning, people get anxious and put up first sell orders already and it will show how many currencies you really support (currently: CLP, EUR, LR (I guess USD?), USD, INR, AUD). I had to tell already quite a few people that it is NOT possible to get some british pounds for the holidays for example through Tradehill even though GBP is written there and you can also give sell orders.

You brought up a really good point. Let me see what I can do about that right now.
GBP should be along soon. Also most likely in the future we will have a market maker lined up ahead of time so when we go live it will be fully functioning.

Edit: making the changes to take the currencies that aren't being traded down.

moneyandtech.com
Seraphim401

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:25:29 AM

Finally some buyers in the sepa market!

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: