Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:53:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you become a moderator?  (Read 1322 times)
TheBitMan (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:32:41 PM

I am a hero member, I read all the threads and I have a good history along with being on here a lot...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
m0w3r

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:36:45 PM

Well, cough, let's just say are you willing to do anything, wink, to get the job?
TheBitMan (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:57:39 PM

Well, cough, let's just say are you willing to do anything, wink, to get the job?
no lol
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:46:16 PM

The only rule is, if you ask - you can't become one Smiley

Beats me, I'm kidding. Who knows.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12878

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:01:11 PM

Don't post topics in the wrong section, for one...

These are some things I look for in a moderator:
- A long history of many accurate reports
- Been around for a long time
- Has many posts that I agree with and consider good quality
- Is respected by the community

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:19:31 PM

You don't want to be a mod, trust me.

When the admin required mods to reestablish trust after the mtgox hack....I just said "fuck it".

People use that report button and spam me all day with their (often legit) complaints. Plus, I don't get any recognition or benefit from it other than the potential corruption of my ethic.

It might be worthwhile to mod a small sector of the forum, but I am not going to mod the entire community.

Nowsday, I run a small paid publication called Bitcoin Weekly. There's a potential for payoff, I get to learn stuff that become relevant to my career and my career education assisting me back. Also, I get to be proud of regularly employing a few individuals within the bitcoin community and economy.

Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:23:39 PM

I am a hero member, I read all the threads and I have a good history along with being on here a lot...

Generally speaking be it on IRC or forums, the unspoken rule is that if you ask for the position, you're not going to get it Wink
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:25:54 PM

Generally speaking be it on IRC or forums, the unspoken rule is that if you ask for the position, you're not going to get it Wink

I said "we need more moderators!!!!1111", they decided to promote me to mod instead. At that time, I was ambivalent about it, not knowing the cost and benefit.

Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:35:27 PM

I said "we need more moderators!!!!1111", they decided to promote me to mod instead. At that time, I was ambivalent about it, not knowing the cost and benefit.

Sounds similar to how I became an op on IRC... constantly bugging the opers and telling them to take care of this or that issue, making suggestions how they could do things better/faster... until one of the server admins had enough and went "There! YOU go settle it yourself" Cheesy

After a few years of being oper/mod/admin in various communities, I'd only do it if I'm paid for Cheesy
So those who are thinking of being one, think carefully if you do get offered, only accept an offer if you really have the spare time/energy for it. If you're thinking of wanting to be a mod just so you can shut people up or close threads you dislike, probably not a good idea to become one Wink

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 10:30:37 PM

You read all the threads? Hell, I can't even read a fraction of them!

If you seriously want to help, please use the 'Report to Moderator' button wherever it is appropriate.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:04:19 PM

You read all the threads? Hell, I can't even read a fraction of them!

If you seriously want to help, please use the 'Report to Moderator' button wherever it is appropriate.
Yes, PLEASE!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: