Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:27:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Freedom Of Association?  (Read 11876 times)
jgraham

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:33:34 PM

Quote from: myrkul
Dating or not... You're just too damn funny for words. Keep it up, I'm entertained.  Kiss
Yes, getting your ass handed to you has never been so much fun!  Just look at some of the reviews I've had:

"jgraham showed me how much my arguments are just my definitions implicitly begging the question" - Bitcoin2cash

"after a single discussion with jgraham I realized that I've been kind of a dick" - Atlas

I'd be interested in your standard of Law. You've referred to it in the past. I'd like to see the dissertation. You say I've used 'Law' terms in non-standard ways. Or is it non-standard terms describing 'Law'? For you to know if I use non-standard terms, is to imply you know what the standard should be.  Whatever you say or you think I said, I don't care. I want to see yours
I guess the short answer is (in my best Cary Elwes voice) "Get used to disappointment."

I said that YOU are using terms in a non-standard way (as opposed to say what I think the modal definition used by some group like 'society' or English speakers is).  To think that means I know how the term "law" should be defined is, for one an is-ought fallacy.   This is a good example of what I mean that a lot of people here don't know how to reason a point.  Maybe that fools the locals where you are but it's to reason what late-night infomercials are to knowledge.  Grin

Furthermore I don't even need a formal definition of a term to determine that you are using it differently from said group uses it.   In this particular case I just gave you an example which seemed to be acceptable by said group and you called it "not a law".  Ergo, you are defining the term differently than this group does.

You also realize that the statement was made in the larger context of justifying why I needed more precise definitions.   If you met someone who used the term "Cat" to mean either "Cat" or "Dog" you would probably find yourself asking them to define things more often than someone who didn't.

All that said, and while I doubt I have a well formed definition.  I'm warming to the idea of framing the argument the way I did earlier, with functions (or function like constructs) approximating a "true" function.   At least I think that puts forward a somewhat concrete outcome for laws and by virtue of that gives you the idea of the kinds of metrics one might construct to determine a system that is better or worse all while not making some of the oversimplifications which you appear to be making.  It can even include some ideas about "simplicity" - if you were following the sub-discussion about Bayesian inference and Ockhams Razor - however perhaps not exactly as you intend.

But like I said that's not a formal definition.

Show your hand. If you don't, I'll personally consider you bluffing.

What exactly do you want me to show?  A formal definition?  Isn't that like saying "Show me something I illogically inferred you had!".  I confess threats like this are the absolute weirdest aspect to the culture of this place.  Bitcoin2cash does this too (to be fair it's possible he's reformed since I think he chastised someone in this thread the same way I chastised him) and it's bonkers.  To me, what you are saying is: "Tell me what I want to know or I'll willfully make myself more ignorant than I already am!".   Why on earth would I care?

At this point I could care less what I've said thus far. Ignore that.
...and yet that's what I was talking about.  How is this significantly different than asking me to take my own words out of context?

Produce, or forever hold your tongue.
Ever thought you take yourself a little too seriously?  No?  How about a lot?  Truth is even if you don't find my response satisfactory your theatrics here are just that.

I'm tired of the masturbatory word play.
Then you should stop and just approach the argument like a reasonable person.
Throw down.
Ok now I think you're trying to incite mockery.  Who finds that intimidating?

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FredericBastiat

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:23:49 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2011, 05:20:45 PM by FredericBastiat

jgraham,

Assuming the is-ought fallacy determination of what Law is, would you try the moral/ethical attempt at what Law is?

After some thought it would seem that the moral Law cannot be derived from what one observes in nature (as in X is Y), or at least it cannot be described in such terms without referring to what one prefers (good, bad or indifferent). However, and notwithstanding that, would you try anyway?

Laws of man are concerns regarding moral and ethical issues i.e. whether one should kill or not, steal or not, and other what-not. Would you agree that were the world lawless, that arbitrarily (very broadly defined) losing your life, or those of your loved ones would at least be a "bit of a bummer"?

The mere fact you engage in conversation in the Politics & Society section of this forum you accept the fact that there will be a lot of is-ought scenarios. If you don't like that fallacy, you should try elsewhere.

Start there.

http://payb.tc/evo or
1F7venVKJa5CLw6qehjARkXBS55DU5YT59
jgraham

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 05:23:52 PM

jgraham,

Assuming the is-ought fallacy determination of what Law is

What does that even mean?  Seriously.  I think you will probably assume that this lack of comprehension is some problem with me. So I showed this sentence to...now seven ...people and they can't figure it out either.  Some even read the prior exchange.  What am I assuming?  English grammar would tell me that the direct object is "is ought fallacy determination".  Is that the same thing as the "is-ought" fallacy you made earlier?   When you assumed that because you used the term Law in an obscure way that necessitated I know what the "true" definition of law should be?  Why am I assuming that?

Is this some obscure way of saying: "Can you give me a definition of law anyway?" (and perhaps implicitly "I don't really know what an is-ought fallacy is")

would you try the moral/ethical attempt at what Law is?

After some thought it would seem that the law cannot be derived from what one observes in nature, or at least it cannot be described in such terms without referring to what one prefers (good, bad or indifferent). However, and notwithstanding that, would you try anyway?

Again, I don't really know what you're asking for here.  It's not even clear what you mean by "observes in nature".   Doesn't everything you know come from some observation of your environment or are you stating that certain fundamental concepts of law are somehow intrinsic to people?

Issues of Law are moral and ethical issues i.e. whether one should kill or not, steal or not, and other what-not. Would you agree that were the world lawless, that arbitrarily (very broadly defined) losing your life, or those of your loved ones would at least a "bit of a bummer"?

I agree that losing the life of people I care about for any reason would be a bummer but to me that would be both trivially true and not really a question of ethics or morality.
Also now you seem to want to talk about the "issues of law" instead of the "definition of law" and you are asserting (assuming? arguing?) that these things, whatever they are are moral and ethical.

There mere fact you engage in conversation in the Politics & Society section of this forum you accept the fact that there will be a lot of is/ought scenarios. If you don't like that fallacy, you should try elsewhere.
Again I really don't know what you are talking about.  What's an "is/ought scenario" and what does it have to do with what's being talked about?  An is-ought fallacy is the assumption that a statement about an element's attribute necessitates it's correctness.  For example you assumed that because I knew that you used a non-standard (or obscure) definition for "law" I must know the way it ought to be defined.  This is untrue and crap logic.   Perhaps you are using my terms in yet another obscure way or you're implying that most of you here engage in crap logic?  If the later: QED.  Grin

Protip: Using idioms or even parts of idioms in two different senses in the same discussion with no clarification probably hampers more than helps communication.

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:24:43 PM

Dating or not... You're just too damn funny for words. Keep it up, I'm entertained.   Kiss
Yes, getting your ass handed to you has never been so much fun!  Just look at some of the reviews I've had:

"jgraham showed me how much my arguments are just my definitions implicitly begging the question" - Bitcoin2cash

"after a single discussion with jgraham I realized that I've been kind of a dick" - Atlas

These would be a little more believable if you had actual quotes.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:52:41 PM

Dating or not... You're just too damn funny for words. Keep it up, I'm entertained.   Kiss

Here's a real review:

"jgraham is a loudmouthed douche that tries to make up with posturing what he lacks in intelligence and he'll never convince me that stealing is justifiable and doesn't require restitution in kind" -bitcoin2cash

Have a nice day, statist clown.
FredericBastiat

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:07:25 PM

jgraham,

"In meta-ethics, the is-ought problem was articulated by David Hume (Scottish philosopher and historian, 1711–1776), who noted that many writers make claims about what ought to be on the basis of statements about what is."

Your definition of is-ought is not the same as the author who wrote it. To wit, your english, your logic, and much of your reasoning is not in line with the norm/standard usage. This is evidenced by the fact you mentioned there were 6 or 7 people that didn't get it. Either you can't explain it, in which case it's plausible you suck as an instructor, or we're all ignorant and your the only one "in the know", or it's something else entirely that the majority of us can't put a finger on but you.

I'm merely asking you to opine about the moral and ethical issues which involve the Laws of man. That's it.

You talk a lot about something going somewhere going nowhere. It would appear you have nothing of interest to offer (assuming you were even doing that) other than argumentative argumentation.

jgraham

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:24:00 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2011, 09:57:12 PM by jgraham

They would be more believable if I wasn't (rather obviously) joking about these being real reviews.

Quote from: bitcoin2cash
"jgraham is a loudmouthed douche that tries to make up with posturing what he lacks in intelligence and he'll never convince me that stealing is justifiable and doesn't require restitution in kind" -bitcoin2cash
Classy.  If had you put something in there that was say...a demonstrable quality of the person you're describing like I did.  It would have that "it's funny but true" quality.  Which I think is much more effective.

Quote from: FredericBasshat
"In meta-ethics, the is-ought problem was articulated by David Hume (Scottish philosopher and historian, 1711–1776), who noted that many writers make claims about what ought to be on the basis of statements about what is."

Your definition of is-ought is not the same as the author who wrote it.
I'd say it's rather clearly in line with what Hume is talking about.  You said: "For you to know if I use non-standard terms (what the term is), is to imply you know what the standard should be. (what the term ought to be) ". Emphasis mine.

This is evidenced by the fact you mentioned there were 6 or 7 people that didn't get it.
Seven people didn't understand a sentence of yours with a few of them even reading the prior message for context.  They seem to understand what an is/ought fallacy is.

Either you can't explain it, in which case it's plausible you suck as an instructor
Wait. What?  
How am I the "instructor" in this context?  It was your sentence.  The point was to let them read without me injecting my own biases.

or we're all ignorant and your the only one "in the know",
Who's "we" in this sentence now?  You and the people who read your sentence?  Do you not understand your writing either?

I'm merely asking you to opine about the moral and ethical issues which involve the Laws of man. That's it.
Can you narrow that down a bit?  Does "Laws of man" mean something different than "laws".  Are we using your definition of law or what I assume is the colloquial usage? So for example if I make another example of a law like "knives more than 6 inches in length can't be carried..." will that be considered a law or not?

You talk a lot about something going somewhere going nowhere.
No I'm pretty sure I don't talk anything like that.

It would appear you have nothing of interest to offer (assuming you were even doing that) other than argumentative argumentation.

Tip: To me this sentence would mean that "argumentative argumentation" (whatever that means) would be "something of interest".  The subordinate clause is treated like an exception to the primary clause.  i.e. "You have nothing to offer other than money" means "You have only money to offer".

So if you mean nothing of interest to you.  Well that's only marginally in my control.  Actually, from where I sit I haven't really done much arguing.   More just asking for clarification.  I don't really call that arguing.

FredericBastiat

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:40:38 PM

To the marginally informed:

Definitions:

Argumentative: Given to arguing; disputatious. Contentious.
Argue: To put forth reasons for or against; debate.
Colloquial: Characteristic of or appropriate to the spoken language or to writing that seeks the effect of speech; informal.

The above is exactly what you do and are. You're twisting words colloquially to be argumentative due to the very side-effects of the language. Every word everybody else uses is a weasel word for you. You say I say one thing to just twist it around again because it suits your combative verbal loquacity. In fact, if I were to quote you, you'd probably argue with yourself not realizing it.

Clarification: To make clear or easier to understand; elucidate.

Clarification is exactly the opposite of what you do. If you had an ounce of capability in this sense you'd have dispensed with the response and gotten on with it. Of course, this is impossible for you because you're incapable of such conciseness.

As I'm most certain you can't help yourself by manipulating the meaning of the above commentary, and will answer with more diarrhea of the mouth, so even despite that, my request still stands, that being:

Define your version of the Laws of Men.

If you can't or refuse to do that, then there is nothing more to say betwixt us. Engaging in verbal intercourse with you is not satisfying. It's shallow meaninglessness.

As you so eloquently put it, "unless you're sleeping with me you don't get to say that."

jgraham

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 06:03:43 PM

To the marginally informed:
Classy.

Definitions:

Argumentative: Given to arguing; disputatious. Contentious.
Argue: To put forth reasons for or against; debate.
Colloquial: Characteristic of or appropriate to the spoken language or to writing that seeks the effect of speech; informal.

The above is exactly what you do and are.
Depends.  I assumed you were saying I am arguing more than you are. By the above definition I'm probably arguing just about as much as you (since it would seem that your words above are an argument).  I'm also doing a pretty large amount of explaining about my words and reasoning.  You, not so much.
You're twisting words colloquially
I'd tend to think "twist" implies intent. So I need to know the actual definition you are using before I can twist words. Unless to you mentioning that your use of a word differs from mine implies "twisting".  Is the request to know what you mean by said word is also "twisting"?

You are potentially correct in one point.  When you say "colloquial" meaning "usage in familiar and informal conversation". Then yes, I think I do that at first. Like most people I figure.  What's the problem there?  I do appear to recognize that your usages are different than mine.   I also tend to ask for what your definitions are.  What's the problem with figuring out what you are talking about?

Every word everybody else uses is a weasel word for you.
Who is "everybody else" in this sentence?  Didn't you just say that I was using terms in a colloquial sense.  Doesn't that mean that the majority of conversations would favor my usage?

You say I say one thing to just twist it around again because it suits your combative verbal loquacity.
You're appealing to something you can't know there.  Just sayin...

Clarification is exactly the opposite of what you do. If you had an ounce of capability in this sense you'd have dispensed with the response and gotten on with it. Of course, this is impossible for you because you're incapable of such conciseness.
I think you're wrong.  I could give you a dozen examples easy from the above thread where I clarify something. I've also run a few of your short posts through some software I have for testing readability.  Yours tend to come out as less readable than mine.  

If you happen to be referencing my final use of the term "clarification" in my last post.  You would see that I wasn't saying that "I am clarifying" but that I was "asking for clarification" which I seem to be doing.

Also, perhaps it's different where you are but "conciseness" and "clarity" aren't necessarily the same.  One, where I am anyway means being brief or removing unnecessary detail. So unless you trivially define "unnecessary" then that doesn't imply "easily understood".   I figure that's why people use the phrase "clear and concise" noting the importance of both axes.

Perhaps you're just seeing that I tend to think the world is complex instead of simple.

As I'm most certain
Thankfully that may not mean so much.  Grin

Define your version of the Laws of Men. If you can't or refuse to do that, then there is nothing more to say betwixt us.

You get that I've shown almost zero interest in that. Right?  So isn't this like saying "Unless you eat a hundred live spiders.  The conversation is over."?
Look your many attempts to change the discussion from your poor logic are noted.  I know the drill.  You're trying to move the battle from a position of weakness to one of strength.

Engaging in verbal intercourse with you is not satisfying. It's shallow meaninglessness.
Huh.  In a few lines I sketched out law, it's purpose, the kinds of ways you can measure it's success and the fact that it's required to be complex.  I also tried to say how simplicity fits into the mix. Considering you begged all those questions here and in your back-patting thread.  I'm not so sure I deserve to be labeled 'shallow'.  Also while I admit I have trouble answering questions when you won't define your terms.  It was very easy to find questions that you can't answer about your own ideas.  Which shows some lack of thinking on your part.  Some might call that shallow.

As you so eloquently put it, "unless you're sleeping with me you don't get to say that."
Except the way I used it made some sense.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 06:23:23 PM

Define your version of the Laws of Men. If you can't or refuse to do that, then there is nothing more to say betwixt us.

You get that I've shown almost zero interest in that. Right?

/thread.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
jgraham

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 06:40:46 PM

You get that I've shown almost zero interest in that. Right?

/thread.

Well I'm glad we had this chat.

NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 06:42:04 PM

Your posts have about as much focus as a toddler with ADHD.
jgraham

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:09:04 PM

Hush child...the adults are talking.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 07:17:58 PM

Shhh...the adults are talking.
Classy.

jgraham

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:26:14 PM

Oh, I see you think it was a slight.

No, I just consider wild unsubstantiated claims the domain of children.
Don't you?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 07:32:15 PM

Don't you?

I do. However, I also consider your posts about as focused as an over-caffeinated chipmunk.

jgraham

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:41:34 PM

Don't you?

I do. However, I also consider your posts about as focused as an over-caffeinated chipmunk.

Why?  Seriously.  If anything FredericBasshat was accusing me of the opposite - an over attention to detail.

or are the caffeinated chipmunks in your area like, really studious and concentrate on things well?

FredericBastiat

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:56:49 PM

Nothing much going on here, moving on.

jgraham

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:13:25 PM

Nothing much going on here, moving on.

The words of Leon Festinger seem like a fitting way to send you off: "A MAN WITH A CONVICTION is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."

FredericBastiat

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:20:48 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2011, 08:34:29 PM by FredericBastiat

Impudent snobbishness.

I have convictions; we didn't talk about those. You chose instead to argue colloquialisms.

I didn't necessarily disagree with you. We didn't converse about things I'm interested in, so there was nothing to disagree with. You like to argue for argument sake.

I saw no facts nor figures and your sources were few and far between given your penchant for wordiness.

I like logic, but I care less to find logic in your arguments about arguing.

You've got nothing to offer, including your final send-off.

Figures.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: