Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:45:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obscure mining hardware history question as my Ex is trying to rob me  (Read 224 times)
Drakepeterson (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 03:20:37 PM

OK, So in mid 2012 I started mining litecoin, couple of rigs, with about 3-4 cards (twas the RadeonHD 7950 hay day) as a hobby.

Kept it up till about August 2013 when we shifted country's. I had mined approx 350 LTC.

Me and my wife fell out of love and are separating. The wallet has either been taken by my ex or simply lost during two years of a shitty relationship and moving across two county's.

Today I have received a letter from her lawyer demanding half the litecoins mined which she has 'calculated' (quite preciously might i add) at 21794.87LTC. So her half being 10897.45LTC.

So it is very easy to prove she is clearly lying and extensively at that. Essentially she and her lawyer believe that I mined 21794LTC between June 2012 and August 2013 in our cosy wee cottage on two homemade old converted gaming rigs.

I am very keen to get a rough estimate of the hardware requirements/real estate/power consumption etc that would have been needed to mine that magnitude of LTC in that time frame. I really want to demonstrate to the court how ridiculous and greedy the claim is.

If anyone can remember back to those old days and wants to hazard a guess it would be mucho appreciated.

Cheers
Drake

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tim-bc

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 04:19:40 PM

What I would do is just scale based on the info you already have. (Also, you probably should have posted in altcoins section)

You mined ~350 LTC, she claims you mined ~21800 LTC. Scale = 62.3 times as much.

So if you mined with, say, 4 cards, then you would have needed to mine with roughly 4 * 62.3 = 249 cards

If you were full on mining with, say, 300W per card, that's 1200W total. To reach her estimate you would have needed around 1200 * 62.3 = 75 kW

Of course you should calculate the numbers better, but it should be fairly easy to point out that you didn't have 249 cards, or couldn't possibly be pulling 75 kW from a cottage, etc.

Best of luck Smiley if you want to PM for some more courtworthy evidence etc. I was mining ltc at the time might be able to get something more accurate with you

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 05:14:12 PM

Seems real simple. She needs to provide proof that this happened. Since she obviously doesnt have proof she doesnt have a leg to stand on.
Drakepeterson (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 01:05:47 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it is simple and clearly bullshit but this is just one of many heavily exaggerated claims so I am trying to clearly display to non crypto folk the the extent of the false claim.

Thanks Tim-bc, that's just the answer i was looking for. Feel a bit stupid now, I was going about it a much more painful method.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2018, 01:18:14 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it is simple and clearly bullshit but this is just one of many heavily exaggerated claims so I am trying to clearly display to non crypto folk the the extent of the false claim.

Thanks Tim-bc, that's just the answer i was looking for. Feel a bit stupid now, I was going about it a much more painful method.

Sounds like a headache. Good luck with your case bro. Feel safe that you have the numbers and data on your side. I was also thinking you could look at mining difficulty at that time frame then use the formula to compute how much coins you would be mining with a given hashrate. But i guess looking at electrical consumption would be simpler for non-crypto to understand.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Regulater

Activity: 273
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 01:40:29 AM

OK, So in mid 2012 I started mining litecoin, couple of rigs, with about 3-4 cards (twas the RadeonHD 7950 hay day) as a hobby.

Does she have proof? This sounds like a ridiculous lawsuit with no evidence. If she doesnt have an address, and proof of ownership of an address, then she has nothing to go upon. Find a litecoin difficulty chart, google old hashrates on those cards, and plug in the middle number and calculate. This should be thrown out without issue, but who knows now a days if you live in the United States.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: