Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:54:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: new(b) rig  (Read 1506 times)
FCTaiChi (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 01:24:36 AM

I just ordered a 6950 and a new box.  The power supply says it has  4 x 6+2-Pin.  I don't know what the +2 means, but I assume this will be a separate connector on the same line.  The motherboard has 2 PCI E slots, but it just read they are 2.0 and the video card is 2.1.  Does this mean an instant return? 
Ok did my research, looks like that is fine, but I'm not seeing if I'll lose anything by not having the newest connection.  Will it nerf my GPU?
I haven't built a computer in a long time.  I'm not sure how to count the wattage for these new huge video cards, I'm pretty sure since it has the connections it would be able to handle a second 6950 if I got it, especially at 750 watts, but I figured I'd ask since I'm here.
In the hardware comparison wiki it has 6950 x 4 as an option, does x2 do well?
Thanks

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Morebitcoinsplease

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:39:44 PM

I just ordered a 6950 and a new box.  The power supply says it has  4 x 6+2-Pin.  I don't know what the +2 means, but I assume this will be a separate connector on the same line.  The motherboard has 2 PCI E slots, but it just read they are 2.0 and the video card is 2.1.  Does this mean an instant return? 
Ok did my research, looks like that is fine, but I'm not seeing if I'll lose anything by not having the newest connection.  Will it nerf my GPU?
I haven't built a computer in a long time.  I'm not sure how to count the wattage for these new huge video cards, I'm pretty sure since it has the connections it would be able to handle a second 6950 if I got it, especially at 750 watts, but I figured I'd ask since I'm here.
In the hardware comparison wiki it has 6950 x 4 as an option, does x2 do well?
Thanks

4 x 6 + 2 means that it can support 2 Video Cards SLI or Crossfired, You have 4 cables that have 6 set pins each and an additional 2 Pins for each cable which is meant for more powerful cards.

So a 5850 requires 2 power cables plugged into this layout ||| |||

While a 5970 or a 6990 requires 2 power cables plugged but also needs an additional 1 set of pins so the layout is this ||| ||||

You do not need to worry about the PCI-E being 2.0 vs 2.1 for mining its fine.

750 watts is fine for up to 2 GPU's you could do 3 but its pushing it, So if your using a 6950 each only have 1 GPU core each so you could do 2 but to do 3 your power supply doesn't have enough connections which may be a good sign that you shouldn't push it.

2 is fine OC'ed but 3 depends on how hard you are pushing it and I would get a voltage meter and determine how much you are pulling with 2 6950 cards.
phindus

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:44:35 PM

In one of my rigs i run 4x5850@930MHz on a 750W PSU, so you should be fine.
gellimac

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:50:20 PM

can you tell me you memory / core clocks and voltage plz?
FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 04:33:02 PM

Thank you, Morebitcoinsplease.  I haven't built a computer for about 12 years.  I was surprised at how few external changes I've come across.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 06:32:57 AM

Ok, got it today, spent the day putting everything together, powered on, and it instantly powered down.  Checked all the connections, reread manuals, made sure the heat fan sink was on solid..  hm, guess I'll try again in the morning.

Neokolzia

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 06:42:57 AM

There is only a couple 6950's that use a 6+8 power connector.

A. Do not OVERtighten heatsink, bends pins, bad makes it unstable.

B. Make sure power connectors are snug.

Make sure RAM is seated it can seem seated sometimes.

Check all Expansion card seatings.

Heatsinks should be about finger tight, just snug
ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 10:38:09 AM

can you tell me you memory / core clocks and voltage plz?

facepalm.jpg

FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 02:41:41 PM

Yeah, I have the +2 wires just hanging off into nowhere, I hope that isn't a problem.

A.  I didn't see any pins on the processor.  Also I'm not sure if I have any choice but to tighten it down.  The lever only seems to let me use one pressure.

B.  I'll go through the power connectors again, are there any that could be put on backward?  I was very careful while installing, but just on the off chance.

RAM *seems* ok

Only expansion card is the video card, I don't see any physical settings (jumpers or?) that I would be able to change.

Heat sink kind of pops on, I'm not sure if I have any control over how tight it is. 

Thanks a lot for your reply, I'll open it up soon and start working again. Smiley

Xephan

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:49:28 PM

Ok, got it today, spent the day putting everything together, powered on, and it instantly powered down.  Checked all the connections, reread manuals, made sure the heat fan sink was on solid..  hm, guess I'll try again in the morning.

That's usually a sign of the PSU cutting off due to a short (a screw got trapped unknowingly under the edge of the board for example) or overload. Quite unlikely for a decent 750W to be overloaded on just 1 or 2 GPU. But what's the brand/model?

Have you tried powering on WITHOUT any graphics card or memory? The motherboard should beeping annoying at you but at least this will eliminate the possibility of a short.
FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 03:19:00 PM

Well I didn't put in my PC speaker, so the beeping won't bug me. 
I got the cooler master box and supply from newegg.
So I should unplug everything, fans and all?
I definitely agree that it seems like a short, I just am having a hard time thinking where it could be.  I'm not missing any screws, the mounting posts seemed to go fine...   but then again I've only installed a few motherboards.

Xephan

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:29:12 PM

Well I didn't put in my PC speaker, so the beeping won't bug me.  
I got the cooler master box and supply from newegg.
So I should unplug everything, fans and all?
I definitely agree that it seems like a short, I just am having a hard time thinking where it could be.  I'm not missing any screws, the mounting posts seemed to go fine...   but then again I've only installed a few motherboards.

Leave the CPU fan connected just to be safe although modern CPUs are quite immune to that problem and as long as you have a heatsink on it, a fan isn't even necessary for a short test run Cheesy

If it does the same shutdown thing even with this bare setup, the next thing to isolate is the PSU. Disconnect it from everything except the AC power and a normal case fan for easy indication but not necessary. Then use a wire or unbent a metal paper clip, connect Pin 14 (green wire) on the 24pin connector to any ground pin (black wire) can be on any of the PSU connectors. The PSU should start running, but if it does the shutdown thing again, then you've got a dud.

If the PSU is working, usually the next step unfortunately is to dismount the motherboard from the casing and see if it will work when placed on a non-conductive surface, the box it came in is usually good.
FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 06:10:36 PM

So I haven't been able to try any of your suggestions yet, but after messing with my heat sink fan, I noticed one of white pegs on the back is only half sticking out.  I can't wiggle it, it still seems stable, but that's a little scary.  it's this kind:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=intel+hsf&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=hYh&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1176&bih=568&tbm=isch&prmd=ivnsfd&tbnid=Mgf9QNVYK5owhM:&imgrefurl=http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/213510-remove-intel-hsf.html&docid=qX7SL2dltdGo5M&w=458&h=435&ei=4w0rTrRQw7KwAoiDnZMM&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=610&vpy=79&dur=5874&hovh=219&hovw=230&tx=132&ty=96&page=1&tbnh=126&tbnw=133&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 10:57:30 PM

Ok tried it with nothing but power and power button connected to motherboard, still instant shut down.

that means psu, motherboard, or cpu?

Xephan

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:39:43 AM

Ok tried it with nothing but power and power button connected to motherboard, still instant shut down.

that means psu, motherboard, or cpu?

Still possible to be either. Have you tried the PSU alone as I suggested?

If the motherboard's shorted, then connecting it to the motherboard will always shut it down.
FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 03:21:50 AM

Ok, I had never done that before and was balking at something new, but I tried it and the PSU does stay on, thanks so much!  So I'm down to motherboard and processor (I think)

Xephan

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 03:29:57 AM

Ok, I had never done that before and was balking at something new, but I tried it and the PSU does stay on, thanks so much!  So I'm down to motherboard and processor (I think)

Sounds like your only recourse now is to dismount the motherboard and test outside the case. It's a pain but not much choices now.

It's things like this that make me get into the habit, if I'm assembling the PC myself, to do a quick test before mounting it. At least I know the parts are all working before they went in Cheesy
FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 03:31:32 AM

I did that already, I had only motherboard, and power switch hooked up, and it powered down instantly.  ATM I have the motherboard off the machine and in the box...  as punishment for giving me such troubles.  Banished I say!

Xephan

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 03:35:39 AM

I did that already, I had only motherboard, and power switch hooked up, and it powered down instantly.  ATM I have the motherboard off the machine and in the box...  as punishment for giving me such troubles.  Banished I say!

Try remounting the CPU before you send it back for RMA, although it seems unlike a poor heatsink fit would stop the system.

To remove the CPU, use a flat head screw driver to turn the pins half a circle from the top, there should be a obvious notch where you can fit it in. Then you should be able to wiggle the heatsink off.
FCTaiChi (OP)

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 04:30:58 AM

OK remounted cpu.  
I noticed having the 4 pins at the end of the motherboard power connector on improperly, but fixing that didn't give me any better response.  
Also I fixed the possible problem with the heat sink fan's motherboard mount.

Since I'm not seeing any way to tell which is the problem, do I send both back?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: