Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:34:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: With all due respect, official bitcoin client sucks  (Read 3738 times)
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:41:34 PM

Refuse to use bitcoin on any version of windows.

Yes, keep telling people that and you'll surely win over the mainstream market!

Windows users are prevalent, which is a fact that has nothing to do with me.

then what were you trying to get by not using the bitcoin client on windows.

If you use an application that deals with money, on Windows, expect to get robbed.

I think that's what he's getting at, and I agree.
You and him are both WRONG. If you're running a genuine version of Windows 7, with all Windows updates installed and current, and a strong user password with some good anti virus (I recommend Norton or Kaspersky) you will be fine.

It's not Bitcoins fault that there are people on Windows Xp bundled with Avast thinking that they are safe...

Did anything in there imply it was Bitcoin's fault?  No.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:03:09 PM

If you use an application that deals with money, on Windows, expect to get robbed.

You and him are both WRONG. If you're running a genuine version of Windows 7, with all Windows updates installed and current, and a strong user password with some good anti virus (I recommend Norton or Kaspersky) you will be fine.

It's not Bitcoins fault that there are people on Windows Xp bundled with Avast thinking that they are safe...

Did anything in there imply it was Bitcoin's fault?  No.
You're implying that anyone who's using Windows and Bitcoin together is somehow getting "robbed ".

"Windows 7's infection rates five times lower than Windows XP"

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=infection+rate+windows+7&pbx=1&oq=infection+rate+windows+7&aq=f&aqi=g-b1&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2529l7823l0l8626l24l17l0l0l0l0l385l4261l0.3.9.5l17&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=804c136e9e03bc4a&biw=1320&bih=706

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:21:12 PM

Did anything in there imply it was Bitcoin's fault?  No.
You're implying that anyone who's using Windows and Bitcoin together is somehow getting "robbed ".

"Windows 7's infection rates five times lower than Windows XP"

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=infection+rate+windows+7&pbx=1&oq=infection+rate+windows+7&aq=f&aqi=g-b1&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2529l7823l0l8626l24l17l0l0l0l0l385l4261l0.3.9.5l17&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=804c136e9e03bc4a&biw=1320&bih=706

First result: "Windows 7's malware infection rate climbs, XP's falls - Computerworld", well done

Also the sentence "Windows 7's infection rates five times lower than Windows XP" is just useless. If all XP computers are infected, thus 20% of 7 computers are infected, what a good stat!
And geek-trader was talking about all windows, not just 7

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:28:42 PM

is it really that hard to understand that windows vista/7 is just a more secure piece of software compared to xp? with UAC, as long as you use it right, and don't let every program run, you should easily be able to stop most threats. on xp this simply did not exist and programs would run almost at will if they got any kind of foothold on the system. its pointless to throw stats out for infections because there are millions of different threats, and many types of threats are polymorphic and are never the same, although this still only counts as 1 threat and only defeats some types of security. again, you cant make stats, since its very difficult to even try to do the stats in the first place. the makers of malware make it this way, they will only try to infect 1 time per ip, they can try to detect VMs and sandboxing, and can detect attempts to monitor how botnets are working. malware is literally at the cutting edge of software design, you simply can not just throw stats out.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:30:02 PM

In case any project developers are reading this, I'll just interject my use case:

I run my main client on an always up and very low powered machine with no video hardware.  I run only bitcoind (and like the current interface just fine.)  When I wish to perform a transaction, I log on to this machine from wherever I am and from whatever platform I happen to be using.

Although my setup is reasonably well hardened, I happen to be pretty careful to not store more BTC than I need for immediate work in the wallet which is 'live'.  This is, in part, because I have tried to allow port 8333 traffic in in order to assist in 'pulling the wagon' and I do not fully understand nor track the bitcoin source tree.  My main BTC stash(es) are tucked away in other places.

I don't anticipate a high percentage of users operating in the manner I do, but I dearly hope that there remains an official low overhead and reasonably efficient client and basic UI.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Eli

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:03:13 PM

1. the wallet file is still naked
2. directly use another wallet is impossible
3. and countless other shortcomings...

sigh.
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=29109.0
Please donate if you want a better one

Thanks for the promotion! Smiley

And yea, I'm developing a new kind of client. Open source (in true spirit of Bitcoin), secure, extendable (Python and/or HTML/Javascript), multi-platform will be supported out of the box on Linux, Windows (also the new win 8 ui, if anyone cares Wink ), OSX, iOS & Android (with some adaptions), heck even Google TV and Apple TV will be supported (Android and OSX...). And all that for the price of free, as in free beer and free speech. oh, and I think it looks pretty too Smiley

My Bitcoin Client
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: