Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:27:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HoboNickels - HBN - High Fast Stake - Version 2.0! More Secure, Less Intensive  (Read 478536 times)
FlungSpun

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 04:30:50 PM

I wonder if the mature time really has dropped from 10 days to 1 day. Reorganized coins have not staked yet after 3 days. Any info about this?

You can see in coin control, the coins that are 1 day old and greater have weight. So they can stake. But with the higher difficulty can take a while to stake.   I'll try to find an example to ensure it is working correctly.

I just had one and it orphaned .lol

scratch that .. wrong wallet.

I can see why there might be cause for concern as I have some blocks at 8.8 days which have 10x the weight of much smaller blocks at 13-14 days and only blocks over 10 days have staked since the fork .. but its no scientific.

also showing a big discrepancy between the wallet weight on the green up arrow button and that reported as total in coin control
very approximate to difference of not including the coin age between 1 and 10 days ??

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
versprichnix

Activity: 876
Merit: 291

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:15:45 PM

Another hint: The message "You have 50% chance of producing a stake within TIME" delivers an at least 10 times  higher time span than the real minting occurs.
Tranz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1052

May the force bit with you.

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 11:13:55 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2017, 12:16:51 AM by Tranz

I am looking into the Min stake issue.  I will let you know what I find out.

HBN: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303749.0 hobonickels.info
Personal Donations: F1TranzWqFGZyFeTMu6iLbtTQgdXuJPsiL
Donations to the HBN Fund: EhbNfund4PrRFLHMxsnbGLhP25hizJGHEE or 1LVFtCX4a83dMLjd8S7imKKKC58QaG83kw
Tranz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 04:33:54 AM

Good news and bad.

Good news I found the issue.   The setting for the kernel Modifier is set for 6 hours.

Code:
static const unsigned int MODIFIER_INTERVAL = 6 * 60 * 60;

On the surface this seems fine. But it runs through this function:

Code:
// Get selection interval section (in seconds)
static int64_t GetStakeModifierSelectionIntervalSection(int nSection)
{
    assert (nSection >= 0 && nSection < 64);
    return (nModifierInterval * 63 / (63 + ((63 - nSection) * (MODIFIER_INTERVAL_RATIO - 1))));
}

Which changes it to 8.8 days(seem familiar?).

So no stake can be calculated that is below this ModiferSelection.  

Bad News?   I can't change this without a hard fork Sad

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. I did test this quite a bit. But the testnest setting:

Code:
bool LoadBlockIndex(bool fAllowNew)
{
    LOCK(cs_main);

if (fTestNet)
    {
        pchMessageStart[0] = 0xcd;
        pchMessageStart[1] = 0xf2;
        pchMessageStart[2] = 0xc0;
        pchMessageStart[3] = 0xef;

bnProofOfStakeLimit = bnProofOfStakeLimitTestNet; // 0x00000fff PoS base target is fixed in testnet
        bnProofOfWorkLimit = bnProofOfWorkLimitTestNet; // 0x0000ffff PoW base target is fixed in testnet
        nStakeMinAge = 2 * 60 * 60; // test net min age is 2 hours
       nModifierInterval = 20 * 60; // test modifier interval is 20 minutes
Code:
       nCoinbaseMaturity = 10; // test maturity is 10 blocks
        nStakeTargetSpacing = 1 * 60; // test block spacing is 3 minutes
}

Is set in a complete different modal. So my test passed there. And I didn't realize it was different. But this is one of those settings that can't be tested on main net unless you fork off your own chain.

I think for the time being we have been through enough forks. I will plan for another one in the next 6-12 months or possible sooner that will fix this issue.  Plus other things we may decide.

Another hint: The message "You have 50% chance of producing a stake within TIME" delivers an at least 10 times  higher time span than the real minting occurs.
This I can and have fixed for the next release.

I can see why there might be cause for concern as I have some blocks at 8.8 days which have 10x the weight of much smaller blocks at 13-14 days and only blocks over 10 days have staked since the fork .. but its no scientific.

8.8 is the min, so those should be up for stake now.

Donations to the HBN Fund: EhbNfund4PrRFLHMxsnbGLhP25hizJGHEE or 1LVFtCX4a83dMLjd8S7imKKKC58QaG83kw
FlungSpun

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 08:05:09 AM

Good news and bad.

Good news I found the issue.   The setting for the kernel Modifier is set for 6 hours.

Code:
static const unsigned int MODIFIER_INTERVAL = 6 * 60 * 60;

On the surface this seems fine. But it runs through this function:

Code:
// Get selection interval section (in seconds)
static int64_t GetStakeModifierSelectionIntervalSection(int nSection)
{
    assert (nSection >= 0 && nSection < 64);
    return (nModifierInterval * 63 / (63 + ((63 - nSection) * (MODIFIER_INTERVAL_RATIO - 1))));
}

Which changes it to 8.8 days(seem familiar?).

So no stake can be calculated that is below this ModiferSelection.  

Bad News?   I can't change this without a hard fork Sad

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. I did test this quite a bit. But the testnest setting:

Code:
bool LoadBlockIndex(bool fAllowNew)
{
    LOCK(cs_main);

if (fTestNet)
    {
        pchMessageStart[0] = 0xcd;
        pchMessageStart[1] = 0xf2;
        pchMessageStart[2] = 0xc0;
        pchMessageStart[3] = 0xef;

bnProofOfStakeLimit = bnProofOfStakeLimitTestNet; // 0x00000fff PoS base target is fixed in testnet
        bnProofOfWorkLimit = bnProofOfWorkLimitTestNet; // 0x0000ffff PoW base target is fixed in testnet
        nStakeMinAge = 2 * 60 * 60; // test net min age is 2 hours
       nModifierInterval = 20 * 60; // test modifier interval is 20 minutes
Code:
       nCoinbaseMaturity = 10; // test maturity is 10 blocks
        nStakeTargetSpacing = 1 * 60; // test block spacing is 3 minutes
}

Is set in a complete different modal. So my test passed there. And I didn't realize it was different. But this is one of those settings that can't be tested on main net unless you fork off your own chain.

I think for the time being we have been through enough forks. I will plan for another one in the next 6-12 months or possible sooner that will fix this issue.  Plus other things we may decide.

Another hint: The message "You have 50% chance of producing a stake within TIME" delivers an at least 10 times  higher time span than the real minting occurs.
This I can and have fixed for the next release.

8.8 is the min, so those should be up for stake now.

So what does this mean for difficulty?
If all blocks we eligible to state after 1 day I'd expect this difficulty.
We have this difficulty but they are not staking .....

possible we'll need another fork sooner rather than later?
esbrave789

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 08:06:08 AM

Is there any activities and development here? This type of occurrence is common! People create and develop projects and end up abandoning, 10 billion coins is a lot, do not you think? The PoS is much attractive.
versprichnix

Activity: 876
Merit: 291

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 09:41:52 AM

@Tranz

I can live with 8.8 days of mature time, can't see a real problem with it. But correct the showed metrics of the wallet in one of the next patches, please.
FlungSpun

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 04:02:27 PM

@Tranz

I can live with 8.8 days of mature time, can't see a real problem with it. But correct the showed metrics of the wallet in one of the next patches, please.

No this is BAD ... It means you can manipulate the interest rate without committing your coins to the risk of staking ....
24 hours to play the difficulty for legitimate coins aged up to 9 days
CoinEraser
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1718

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 08:38:10 PM

Is there any activities and development here? This type of occurrence is common! People create and develop projects and end up abandoning, 10 billion coins is a lot, do not you think? The PoS is much attractive.

Yes, there is.  Wink
The Dev is very active and has brought many updates in the last time. Problems are fixed fast.
Hobonickels is an old and good Coin. I like it.  Smiley
Tranz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 09:29:30 PM

@Tranz

No this is BAD ... It means you can manipulate the interest rate without committing your coins to the risk of staking ....

FlungSpun, not sure what you mean here.  This issue is small. There is no way to game the system based on this. Your coins are not up for stake until 8.8 days as it sits right now. It used to be 10 days. So it is better now, but not what I wanted.

I will fix this and we will get to the 1 day min stake rate. But it is not an issue that needs fixed immediately. The risk of splitting the network again via another hard fork so soon, is magnitudes more risk then letting it lie for now.

As development continues and we find more issues or adjustments necessary we can wrap all of those in another fork, but we are looking a while before that happens.

FlungSpun

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 11:09:36 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2017, 11:23:48 PM by FlungSpun

@Tranz

FlungSpun, not sure what you mean here.  This issue is small. There is no way to game the system based on this. Your coins are not up for stake until 8.8 days as it sits right now. It used to be 10 days. So it is better now, but not what I wanted.

I will fix this and we will get to the 1 day min stake rate. But it is not an issue that needs fixed immediately. The risk of splitting the network again via another hard fork so soon, is magnitudes more risk then letting it lie for now.

As development continues and we find more issues or adjustments necessary we can wrap all of those in another fork, but we are looking a while before that happens.

Well while I'm willing to go with your judgement on this from a technical fix point of view I don't see it a small issue at all. Perhaps I misunderstand something but ..
I can see a very clear way to game the difficulty in this situation with only a 24 hour window.
If a very big holder is able drive difficulty changes at specific time windows capturing high(er) rewards for themselves and ramping difficulty between maturity windows.

Simply put A (group of)  big wallet can put huge pressure on the network within 24 hours and remove it at a moments notice. While average holders have to consider block size over an 8.8 day time frame. It Just can't be a sensible way forward, even in the short term.

If I'm wrong please enlighten.

*edit
Also don't want to come off as an unappreciative douche here. The work you have done recently has been right on the money  115Mb RAM down from 2GB :0
this just bothers me greatly.

Tranz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 12:06:34 AM

@Tranz

FlungSpun, not sure what you mean here.  This issue is small. There is no way to game the system based on this. Your coins are not up for stake until 8.8 days as it sits right now. It used to be 10 days. So it is better now, but not what I wanted.

Well while I'm willing to go with your judgement on this from a technical fix point of view I don't see it a small issue at all. Perhaps I misunderstand something but ..
I can see a very clear way to game the difficulty in this situation with only a 24 hour window.
If a very big holder is able drive difficulty changes at specific time windows capturing high(er) rewards for themselves and ramping difficulty between maturity windows.

Simply put A (group of)  big wallet can put huge pressure on the network within 24 hours and remove it at a moments notice. While average holders have to consider block size over an 8.8 day time frame. It Just can't be a sensible way forward, even in the short term.

If I'm wrong please enlighten.

*edit
Also don't want to come off as an unappreciative douche here. The work you have done recently has been right on the money  115Mb RAM down from 2GB :0
this just bothers me greatly.

So I do see your concern, but from what I see the min stake time really doesn't change this issue much. Any wallet can choice when they stake and when they don't want to.  So even if the min time was at 24hours, that doesn't mean the whale's wallet has to start staking then. He can hold off, gain weight, and wait until the % is where he wants and let his stakes go.  The longer he waits though the higher the chances each stake will get capped and they could lose money in the long run.

The only thing that 24 min time can help with would be if no one else did this, then the difficulty would be higher over time, and that would give them less opportunity to control the block chain.  Though this is negligible.  The 2 things that do help prevent a whale from controlling the chain are max weight and cap. No matter how long they weight the highest they get up to is 30 days. Also the reward cap is incentive not to do what you say as well.

No worries.  I am open to discussion even criticisms. I won't cry in my beer   Tongue

Also you say 115mb ram?  I have not observed this at all ! I am still at 2 gb on all my wallets. Now granted all my wallets go back to the first few months, but 115mb?!

FlungSpun

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 09:06:05 AM

So I do see your concern, but from what I see the min stake time really doesn't change this issue much. Any wallet can choice when they stake and when they don't want to.  So even if the min time was at 24hours, that doesn't mean the whale's wallet has to start staking then. He can hold off, gain weight, and wait until the % is where he wants and let his stakes go.  The longer he waits though the higher the chances each stake will get capped and they could lose money in the long run.

The only thing that 24 min time can help with would be if no one else did this, then the difficulty would be higher over time, and that would give them less opportunity to control the block chain.  Though this is negligible.  The 2 things that do help prevent a whale from controlling the chain are max weight and cap. No matter how long they weight the highest they get up to is 30 days. Also the reward cap is incentive not to do what you say as well.

No worries.  I am open to discussion even criticisms. I won't cry in my beer   Tongue

Also you say 115mb ram?  I have not observed this at all ! I am still at 2 gb on all my wallets. Now granted all my wallets go back to the first few months, but 115mb?!

OK had a sleep on this and the reward is reactionary to block speed right?
So it's not as bad as I first thought because over reporting of net weight doesn't do much

But .. the following point remain for better or worse.
By holding off staking a whale might raise the reward level then crush it back down with their own stakes .. risne , repeat.
This has not been a feature of HBN because we were nearly always at 100% with 20 second blocks and a 10 day delay lessens the motivation.
with a 1 day maturity a whale with little pre-planning and prep can target other wallets ( by causing stake capping or low reward) and drive reward to their own agenda.
The problem with 1 day maturity is thee is little cost in reorganising your wallet. Actually its kinda nice but open to abuse.
Potential eventual outcome is the rich Hobos get richer and pwn the less HBN affluent (not very libertarian crypto)

On the upside 1 day staking will attract impatient stake dumpers and an influx of stake dump speculation might create some much needed liquidity on the markets.
In the meantime 8.8 is fine with me.

MEMORY
Well up to 158 MB this morning (so it does appear to be rising) but all the same ... This is a new wallet from July this year. I transferred everything over during a period
of performance issues. recently I have burned through about 1000 stakes but have around 2k mature blocks pending up to 15 days . walet has ~4k transactions

After the fork performance was pretty iffy but improved quickly and consistently ( memory usage immediately after the fork was 30MB I'm on win10)
just combined a bunch of blocks and back to 92MB

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/hbn/#!overview

i don't see any trouble at all ^^
we stay with 8.8d, improper coin control display can be easily fixed in wallet revision,
hbn remains the same clumsy mammoth, just a bit slower as growing older lol

lol .. yeah or that slow old mammoth might be your pc trying to carry another old mammoth on its back.

tranz has basically granted my Christmas list here! he's even surprised himself !
Low cpu and a memory footprint I have to search for in task manager. (getting the feeling that might not last)

FlungSpun

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 12:24:40 PM

Also you say 115mb ram?  I have not observed this at all ! I am still at 2 gb on all my wallets. Now granted all my wallets go back to the first few months, but 115mb?!

beats me too, mine eats ~2.1GB no matter old or new

OK .. that would be weird then

I have been looking this morning at it on and off
An observed low of 60Mb and a current high of 125.9MB

Caps 930 MB
Clam 680 MB
HYP 546 MB

and others as expected.

scared to turn it off now .. praps I should just start a staking service while my luck is in Smiley

FlungSpun

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 12:49:33 PM

Also you say 115mb ram?  I have not observed this at all ! I am still at 2 gb on all my wallets. Now granted all my wallets go back to the first few months, but 115mb?!

beats me too, mine eats ~2.1GB no matter old or new

OK .. that would be weird then

I have been looking this morning at it on and off
An observed low of 60Mb and a current high of 125.9MB

Caps 930 MB
Clam 680 MB
HYP 546 MB

and others as expected.

scared to turn it off now .. praps I should just start a staking service while my luck is in Smiley

sounds to me like real fp minus 2GB Tongue
did you ever watch how it grows (in task manager) from the wallet start until fully functional ?

yeah I was just starring at it for about 20 seconds when I first noticed thinking it wa going to pop but nothing .. for days now

not restarted since the fork, no. I was thinking about a restart and watch and you all made me think twice.
I only have the info task manager gives so  .. go figure ...

FlungSpun

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 01:04:41 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2017, 01:37:07 PM by FlungSpun

yeah I was just starring at it for about 20 seconds when I first noticed thinking it wa going to pop but nothing .. for days now

not restarted since the fork, no. I was thinking about a restart and watch and you all made me think twice.
I only have the info task manager gives so  .. go figure ...

ask the hubby to restart it  Roll Eyes

hehehe .. you're a funny fellow

Actually thanks for the Kung Fury comment ... What a find!
Tranz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 11:06:37 PM

Anyone experiencing any turbulence recently?

A few of my clients have received a large number of socket 10054 errors, followed by Misbehaving peers for too little proof of work?

lightspeedy

Activity: 109
Merit: 6

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2017, 05:19:12 PM

Anyone experiencing any turbulence recently?

A few of my clients have received a large number of socket 10054 errors, followed by Misbehaving peers for too little proof of work?

Not at all!
It works like a charm!

Got the last 24hrs only 3 Orphans of 51 Stakes  Tongue

https://hobotoken.com
https://hobomap.info
Turrican

Activity: 227
Merit: 26

“BitCloud [BTDX]”

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 06:05:49 PM

Good Job  Grin

2017-08-31 18:34:36 partner [2a01:4f8:202:7021::1806]:42221 using obsolete version 70007; disconnecting

What is this ? :

2017-08-31 18:31:06 socket recv error 10054
2017-08-31 18:33:48 socket recv error 10053

Hmm i have the socket recv error on the old client .... what is the problem ?

Code:
2017-09-20 17:55:09 socket recv error 10054
2017-09-20 17:55:15 socket recv error 10054
2017-09-20 17:55:42 SetBestChain: new best=2233da1903d4933779ab height=5672511 trust=134536583948663 blocktrust=14506116091 date=09/20/17 17:55:10
2017-09-20 17:55:42 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 17:56:56 SetBestChain: new best=b033df4fdbdee969bd4a height=5672512 trust=134551289535082 blocktrust=14705586419 date=09/20/17 17:56:37
2017-09-20 17:56:56 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 17:57:00 Flushed 9403 addresses to peers.dat  31ms
2017-09-20 17:57:22 socket recv error 10054
2017-09-20 17:57:30 SetBestChain: new best=00000000b57276dd4136 height=5672513 trust=134551289537837 blocktrust=2755 date=09/20/17 17:57:02
2017-09-20 17:57:30 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 17:58:13 SetBestChain: new best=70461a170d8918c48d18 height=5672514 trust=134566078351824 blocktrust=14788813987 date=09/20/17 17:57:40
2017-09-20 17:58:13 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 17:58:39 SetBestChain: new best=c5e38c08602c725a1953 height=5672515 trust=134581002843313 blocktrust=14924491489 date=09/20/17 17:58:17
2017-09-20 17:58:39 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 17:58:52 SetBestChain: new best=14ea79886bb1b16039b9 height=5672516 trust=134596121501051 blocktrust=15118657738 date=09/20/17 17:58:43
2017-09-20 17:58:52 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 17:59:14 SetBestChain: new best=00000001086f860e45d8 height=5672517 trust=134596121503869 blocktrust=2818 date=09/20/17 17:58:53
2017-09-20 17:59:14 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 17:59:34 socket recv error 10054
2017-09-20 17:59:40 socket recv error 10054
2017-09-20 18:00:33 SetBestChain: new best=e787534a9c882d9eac7e height=5672518 trust=134611461520111 blocktrust=15340016242 date=09/20/17 17:59:44
2017-09-20 18:00:33 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 18:01:42 ResendWalletTransactions()
2017-09-20 18:01:46 SetBestChain: new best=f19708d23b82d05d4bca height=5672519 trust=134626946780693 blocktrust=15485260582 date=09/20/17 18:01:40
2017-09-20 18:01:46 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2017-09-20 18:01:52 socket recv error 10054
2017-09-20 18:02:23 ERROR: AcceptBlock() : rejected by synchronized checkpoint
2017-09-20 18:02:23 ERROR: ProcessBlock() : AcceptBlock FAILED
2017-09-20 18:04:04 socket recv error 10054

•••     BitCloud  BTDX    |    A new type of decentralized currency     •••
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     Masternode Coin     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
• Wallet  • ANN  • Blockexplorer  • Github
Tranz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 12:38:13 AM

Socket errors aren't bad in and of themselves. They simply mean the connection was lost for some reason. Those reasons can be a bad internent connection between the peers, it can be that the peer you are connected too will not accept any more connections because they are at the max.

The reason I had brought it up is that, it can also be if a peer bans you for misbehaving.  That was what I saw. I banned 3 or 4 clients, and I think 5 banned me as well. before I knew it i was down to  3 or 4. Now I am back to normal since the bans only last 24hrs.   But for the most part, they are nothing to worry about.

Pages: « 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 »
  Print  

Jump to: