Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:22:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Folding At Home With Medic Coin Earn Big Money with your GPUs  (Read 1485 times)
thecow

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 02:57:28 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 01:56:37 AM by thecow

Well I did some reading and it seems like the project is doom to fail. Instead of piggy backing on curecoin, the Mediccoin is forcing people to mine a shitcoin (very good coin) in the hopes that in a few years it will be worth something. The key to mass adoption is have exchange support and a good wallet. This has neither. I found a critical flaw in the wallet. You cannot see your private key so you are SOL if the wallet isn't backed up. Even those backup files don't work half the time. NO private key - NO GO!

Cons-

None existent exchange support.
No Private Key (Wallet)
Must choose between Curecoin AND FDCL or This.....

I'm sorry but this coin is extremely flawed. Time to switch back to something I can ACTUALLY SELL!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoin9999 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 109

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:07:00 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2018, 04:17:11 AM by bitcoin9999

Well I did some reading and it seems like the project is doom to fail. Instead of piggy backing on curecoin, the Mediccoin is forcing people to mine a shitcoin in the hopes that in a few years it will be worth something. The key to mass adoption is have exchange support and a good wallet. This has neither. I found a critical flaw in the wallet. You cannot see your private key so you are SOL if the wallet isn't backed up. Even those backup files don't work half the time. NO private key - NO GO!

Cons-

No Private Key (Wallet)

I'm sorry but this coin is extremely flawed. Time to switch back to something I can ACTUALLY SELL!

Medic Coin is currently listed on 4 exchanges:

1.  Crypto-bridge https://wallet.crypto-bridge.org/market/BRIDGE.MEDIC_BRIDGE.BTC
2.  Btc-Alpha https://btc-alpha.com/exchange/MEDIC_BTC/
3.  Stocks.exchange https://stocks.exchange/trade/MEDIC/BTC
4.  crypto-hub https://cryptohub.online/market/MEDIC/

The wallet has a private key by using dumpprivkey <MedicCoinaddress>  .  If you are a newbie and don't know how to use this we can teach you.  

We have physicians and engineers and computer programmers on the team.  That is a big plus as most coins are anonymous.  Please visit Medic Coin page to learn more https://mediccoin.com/

You can join our discord and learn about Medic Coin https://discord.gg/EX2hBzY

We are working on merge mining with Folding Coin.  We are not forcing anyone to mine Medic Coin.  You do your research and mine or not is up to you as there are thousands of other coins you can mine.  Medic Coin also has PoS and masternodes so you can earn Medic Coins that way too.

The motto for Medic Coin is "Do good things and make life better".

nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:26:47 AM

Well I did some reading and it seems like the project is doom to fail. Instead of piggy backing on curecoin, the Mediccoin is forcing people to mine a shitcoin in the hopes that in a few years it will be worth something. The key to mass adoption is have exchange support and a good wallet. This has neither. I found a critical flaw in the wallet. You cannot see your private key so you are SOL if the wallet isn't backed up. Even those backup files don't work half the time. NO private key - NO GO!

Cons-

No Private Key (Wallet)

Pardon my french, but you are a fucking idiot.  Why would any new coin piggyback on another one?  Of course if you must choose between this or another coin.  This is no different than literally mining anything.  Curecoin is on only 2 exchanges, as it FLDC.  If you want to compare wallets, Curecoin's didn't even have a feature to display your staking status until 6 months ago.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:27:06 AM

I don't get anywhere near the folding power I should.

Is a slow CPU a limiting factor (running 12x 1080 TI)? What CPU would you advise?
bitcoin9999 (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 03:06:36 PM

I don't get anywhere near the folding power I should.

Is a slow CPU a limiting factor (running 12x 1080 TI)? What CPU would you advise?

You should get atleast an intel i5

thecow

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:24:54 PM

nsummy ah the lonesome fanboy. Just because they got a nice website, doesn't mean the FAQs are useful lol. I looked for the private key, couldn't find it.

Anyways for folding you want to dedicate 1 CPU core per video card or you'll have some very low results. Plus you cannot use the USB risers. Those are 1x. You need at least 4x PCIE 2.0 to get clear of the bandwidth issues. Even so, with a 1080Ti 4X PCIE 2.0 isn't enough, 3.0 is though. So unless you have a X79 or X99 with 7 full 16x slots (running in 8x mode) you are actually not using the video cards anywhere close to the full potential. When you say 12 cards, that instantly says mining board and all at 1x.

1080Ti running in 1x yields around 500K PPD, 4x (2.0) 800K, Full speed 1.3Million.

Edit: Looks like I made 32.69 coins for an hour of folding yesterday. If anyone want them post your address. Otherwise they will be gone forever.
Amstellodamois

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:20:42 PM

MWVTWCtrkqVgKP7PX3jSLLEmVBJNGYmVEM  Kiss
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:36:30 PM

And if even ONE big folder starts hitting up your coin, your profitability will drop to near nothing.

Less than 4 million PPD is not a big folder, I was pulling more like 20 million the last month I folded, and I've added quite a few Nvidia GPUs since then.
Last time I checked the top folder was pulling over 70 million PPD.

I count it as poor design that you force folks to fold on your team - that destroys any possibility of merge folding with CureCoin (conflicting team requirements) or FoldingCoin (conflicting coin address requirements).

Well if you follow the Curecoin logic (which I admit I never quite understood), the more folding power, the more valuable the coin should be.  The Curecoin people would also come unglued if another project suddenly started merged folding with fldc.  Its been awhile since I've checked prices but I seem to remember at some people last year the fldc earnings were more than the cure earnings.  I admit the original title was a little bombastic but I think OP's heart is in the right place.  Curecoin has languished for years and their dev is the top folder.  Not to say that Medic Coin is better or worse, but nice to see an alternative at least.

p.s.  I think its ironic that another folding coin suffers from the same exact problem as curecoin;  A shitty website and confusing pool instructions!

Ballpark half of last year the Foldingcoin income was more than the Curecoin income - part of that was Curecoin went though it's first "halfing" somewhere in that year.
I never understood the "more folding = more coin value" BS out of Vorshalk either.
When he decided to bring hig HUGE farm online, it ticked off a lot of long-time folders and put a serious HURT on the profitability of folding.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:51:19 PM

Cons-

No Private Key (Wallet)

Pardon my french, but you are a fucking idiot.  Why would any new coin piggyback on another one?  Of course if you must choose between this or another coin.  This is no different than literally mining anything.  Curecoin is on only 2 exchanges, as it FLDC.  If you want to compare wallets, Curecoin's didn't even have a feature to display your staking status until 6 months ago.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Because it offers a LOT MORE SUPPORT FOR FOLDING if this coin could be cooperative with the LONG STANDING Curecoin and Foldincoin initiatives - which have supported "merge folding" for years.
A LOT of coins support "merge mining" - reference DOGE for the best-known example.

Since the STATED objective of all 3 coins is to "support Folding@Home", it is a lot more logical for all of them to WORK TOGETHER as opposed to your "of course" MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN them idiocy as being able to get all *3* for folding work gives a lot more incentive for more folks to DO folding.

You CAN use USB risers in folding, but higher-end cards suffer a significant performance hit if you do so, ballpark 25-30% in some brief testing I've done on my Aorus GTX 1080 ti cards.
If you were seeing 500k on one, you either had a "pain" work unit type or there was something else limiting the card, even on a USB riser I normally see more like 800-900k on most work units (vs 1.2M AND UP on most work units on non-riser setups).
The hit is less on lower end cards, but still noticeable.

On the positive side, a riser-type rig is a LOT easier to keep cool, and USB risers are INFINITELY easier to work with than multiple "16x ribbon" type risers.

One REAL CPU core per GPU is definitely needed - "hyper-threaded" cores need not apply they can't keep up with higher-end cards and WILL throttle your performance badly.
More than one core per GPU does not help, as the folding client isn't coded to use more than one CPU core per "thread" and it runs one "thread" per GPU core.
If you DO have spare cores, you can use those for other stuff though - like folding on them or XMR mining.
Even REAL cores are starting to get marginal sometimes - I was doing some testing once on a G-series Pentium (G4560 or G4600 forget which offhand) and a single 1080 ti was loading one "real" core on that to over 90% average, and I THINK I was taking a small PPD hit on the GPU even so.

For 12 1080 ti cards in a rig, 12+ real core Threadripper or 12+ real core recent Intel server CPU are the only viable options for full PPD - but you're going to be impacted by USB risers as well even WITH enough CPU power.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:56:45 PM

Let us know when you manage to get listed on a MAJOR exchange - I've never even heard OF any of those exchanges before now.

Not "zero" like the post you were replying said, but pretty bloody close.

It shouldn't be hard to set up ability to merge fold with Curecoin - just kill the "need to be on OUR team" requirement.
Merge-folding with Foldingcoin is going to be a lot tougher, since you both require wallet address as part of your name.

nsummy

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 10:45:10 PM

nsummy ah the lonesome fanboy. Just because they got a nice website, doesn't mean the FAQs are useful lol. I looked for the private key, couldn't find it.

Anyways for folding you want to dedicate 1 CPU core per video card or you'll have some very low results. Plus you cannot use the USB risers. Those are 1x. You need at least 4x PCIE 2.0 to get clear of the bandwidth issues. Even so, with a 1080Ti 4X PCIE 2.0 isn't enough, 3.0 is though. So unless you have a X79 or X99 with 7 full 16x slots (running in 8x mode) you are actually not using the video cards anywhere close to the full potential. When you say 12 cards, that instantly says mining board and all at 1x.

1080Ti running in 1x yields around 500K PPD, 4x (2.0) 800K, Full speed 1.3Million.

Edit: Looks like I made 32.69 coins for an hour of folding yesterday. If anyone want them post your address. Otherwise they will be gone forever.

I'm far from a fanboy and I even stated their website is terrible with confusing information.  For what its worth, so is Curecoin's and taking the prize for the most confusing is foldingcoin.
nsummy

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 10:58:25 PM

Let us know when you manage to get listed on a MAJOR exchange - I've never even heard OF any of those exchanges before now.

It shouldn't be hard to set up ability to merge fold with Curecoin - just kill the "need to be on OUR team" requirement.
Merge-folding with Foldingcoin is going to be a lot tougher, since you both require wallet address as part of your name.

At the end of the day does it matter what team you are folding on?  Stanford gets the benefit regardless.  And to play the Devil's Advocate, Curecoin could have easily set up the same system without a team requirement.   Personally if its a new coin I don't care how big the exchange is as long as there is a way to sell my earnings.  btc-alpha is small time but they have been around for a few years.
Amstellodamois

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 12:32:45 AM

You CAN use USB risers in folding, but higher-end cards suffer a significant performance hit if you do so, ballpark 25-30% in some brief testing I've done on my Aorus GTX 1080 ti cards.
If you were seeing 500k on one, you either had a "pain" work unit type or there was something else limiting the card, even on a USB riser I normally see more like 800-900k on most work units (vs 1.2M AND UP on most work units on non-riser setups).

On the positive side, a riser-type rig is a LOT easier to keep cool, and USB risers are INFINITELY easier to work with than multiple "16x ribbon" type risers.

One REAL CPU core per GPU is definitely needed - "hyper-threaded" cores need not apply they can't keep up with higher-end cards and WILL throttle your performance badly.
More than one core per GPU does not help, as the folding client isn't coded to use more than one CPU core per "thread" and it runs one "thread" per GPU core.
If you DO have spare cores, you can use those for other stuff though - like folding on them or XMR mining.
Even REAL cores are starting to get marginal sometimes - I was doing some testing once on a G-series Pentium (G4560 or G4600 forget which offhand) and a single 1080 ti was loading one "real" core on that to over 90% average, and I THINK I was taking a small PPD hit on the GPU even so.

For 12 1080 ti cards in a rig, 12+ real core Threadripper or 12+ real core recent Intel server CPU are the only viable options for full PPD - but you're going to be impacted by USB risers as well even WITH enough CPU power.
Thanks

You should check Crypto-bridge out.
thecow

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 01:24:27 AM

I've been folding on and off 10 years. CPU with a AM64, than waaaay back on a 9600 GSO (old folders remember this being a beast of a card for performance ratio). I've done testing with many cards because I did find a fold forum post on folding forums that someone testing this waay back in 2010 that the OP said he/she found no difference. This was true at the time because the cards were not powerful enough to saturate the full bandwidth on even 4x PICE 2.0. Things have changed a lot in the last few years. I'm looking at my 1070Tis right now and they using 56% bandwidth of PCIE 3.0 8X or roughly 4.421 GB/s if you do the math on it. PCIE 3.0 1x is 984.6 MB/s. That means a single 1070Ti is using 4.49 times the bandwidth of 1x 3.0. Now that is not saying you will lose 75% when on USB risers. Its project dependent but with 1x I was around 330K and with a 8x slot (not fully used) it is reporting 768K PPD on average. Same card, same computer, same project.

Edit: Also don't forget folding really does need a CPU core per card or it will suffer more than a USB riser would do to it. Test it out. Put you CPU to full and watch you card PPD drop to nothing.

Food for thought....

Edit 2: Oh I also forget that any USB cannot exceed 500MB/s. Thunderbolt can, USB cannot, so really even if its reporting being in a 3.0 Slot, its more like 1x 2.0.
bitcoin9999 (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 01:35:31 AM

Thanks for giving us a try.  Your research on the coin was wrong about the exchanges and private key.  We take constructive criticisms very seriously and try to improve on them, but putting wrong information out there that could hurt the coin and thousand of investors we do not appreciate.  Have a good day.

thecow

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 01:54:45 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2018, 07:46:49 PM by thecow

I am sorry for talking smack about your coin. Been seeing a lot of FUD around the internet and it rubs off I guess. Best of luck with your project, I just can't get on board without a easy way to get the private key and have bigger exchanges on-board. I have to pay the power bill somehow ya know.

Also The only REAL BIG MAJOR criticism (besides everything I already said) I have is why the need for 199K coins to create a masternode. That is 2.23 BTC (32K) just to be a node (did the math wrong, its $30). ZENCash requires 42 and other even less. BTW the wallet say 500 when you select create just so you are aware.
thecow

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 02:01:39 AM

Also if you want to get into a private discussion of the flaws of this coin I would be happy to. I am fully aware of how much effort it takes to even make a bad coin. It is clear that a lot of time and effort was put into this project, but it still needs TLC and starting a thread by saying a single card makes $90 is misleading to say the least.
mungodoro

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 04:37:42 AM

If a single card could produce over $2000 USD a month im pretty sure every miner in the world would be on it. Use a lil common sense here when people make these wild ass claims.

Well said!
bitcoin9999 (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 04:42:45 AM

Our developers came up with a way to merge mining with Folding Coin.  We are tweaking it right now.

Amstellodamois

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 04:57:58 PM

MWVTWCtrkqVgKP7PX3jSLLEmVBJNGYmVEM  Kiss

Just in case  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: