Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:41:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which platform should Hive tackle next?
Desktop Windows - 15 (68.2%)
Desktop Linux - 1 (4.5%)
Chrome App - 3 (13.6%)
Other - 3 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing Hive, a beautiful new wallet for Mac OS X  (Read 140939 times)
doublejoint

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:39:00 PM

I agree, with the time machine backup and dropbox functionality I am now using this full time, and loving it!   Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:12:22 AM

In several years of bitcoinj development, I don't believe anyone has ever lost money due to bugs in the software. It's actually very hard to lose bitcoins as long as you have copies of the private keys. So don't worry about that.

What has occasionally happened is your wallet loses sync with the network or becomes internally inconsistent due to bugs in various parts of the stack, but you can always get things fix things with a "replay". Hive recently got support for this checked in so in the worst case where something does go south, it will be able to repair itself. Also, the Hive wallet format is compatible with MultiBit so you can simply open your wallet up with MultiBit if you need to (e.g. if Hive won't start at all).
jsuder

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 12:42:15 PM

In several years of bitcoinj development, I don't believe anyone has ever lost money due to bugs in the software. It's actually very hard to lose bitcoins as long as you have copies of the private keys. So don't worry about that.
Well, shit happens - we had this bug at some point where Hive would overwrite the wallet with a new one if it couldn't read the old one for some reason... that was long ago though.

But if you have backups of the wallet on your Time Machine drive and/or Dropbox account (Dropbox keeps old versions at least a month back if I remember correctly), then even if something destroys your whole Hive data directory, you can still get your bitcoins back by restoring the backed up copy and rebuilding the wallet.

Former main developer of Hive Mac | @kuba_suder at Twitter
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:00:55 PM

Right .... backups are important Smiley MultiBit writes rolling backups into its own directory in order to resolve cases we had where people's RAM has started to go bad and corrupted private keys. Once we go to fully HD wallets this will cease to be an issue of course.
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:35:49 PM

Right .... backups are important Smiley MultiBit writes rolling backups into its own directory in order to resolve cases we had where people's RAM has started to go bad and corrupted private keys. Once we go to fully HD wallets this will cease to be an issue of course.
Yeah, Multibit has the additional problem that the backups go outdated pretty quickly if you're adding new addresses. We're planning to avoid this by switching directly from single address to an HD wallet. For now, any Hive backup you make stays up to date until you change your wallet password.

hivewallet (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 03:57:38 PM

Awesome meeting everyone at the North American Bitcoin Conference!

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

Cool! BTW, what's up with the release - if I go to hivewallet.com I see a v1.0, but grabhive.com still runs and says it's a beta and serves <1.0

jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:28:07 PM

Cool! BTW, what's up with the release - if I go to hivewallet.com I see a v1.0, but grabhive.com still runs and says it's a beta and serves <1.0
We're going to push 1.0 to Sparkle very soon, probably tomorrow; sorry for the confusion.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:51:57 PM

Nice. I hope you make a splash with it.
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:42:00 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2014, 12:52:44 PM by jsuder

Hi,

1.0 is now live!

Here's what we've changed in the last couple of weeks:

• there's now a "first run wizard" (only appears if you don't have a wallet yet) - leads you through setting up a password and wallet backups
  • if your wallet is unencrypted, you will now see a warning on every start - please encrypt your wallets soon!
  • updated apps to latest versions
  • added new Bitstamp app, BitPremier, Coinbase, and Prepaid Mobile Recharge apps
  • "Get more apps" link on apps page (leads here for now: https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/wiki/App-Registry)
  • sent amount on the transactions list will not include the fee
  • fixed some problems with processing new transactions and transaction status changes
  • Dropbox backup now uses ~/Dropbox/Hive-* folder for backups (unless you've already configured it) - we'll add a way to change this later (by holding Alt when clicking "Enable")
  • fixed some problems with backups
  • UI improvements in send dialog (first result in autocomplete is auto-selected, enter moves to amount field)
  • fixed a few minor UI issues
  • updated Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish and Tagalog translations (the rest is in progress)
  • updated bitcoinj library to pre-release 0.11 (version from 4 Jan)
  • we now have a pretty well tested way to rebuild your wallet from the blockchain data, so if you only have at least one fairly recent backup, you should be safe even if something goes seriously wrong in the wallet

Direct link: https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/releases/download/2014012801/Hive-1.0.zip

Also, check out our new site design: http://www.hivewallet.com.

Thanks for all the nice words and the encouragement we had from you from the beginning. I'm really excited with this release and I hope you'll start using Hive now if you were afraid of the "beta" label before Smiley (just remember, set a password and make a backup!)

Please report any errors through the built-in dialog if it appears, otherwise you can mail us at macsupport{at}hivewallet.com with any problems or suggestions. You can also use GitHub Issues: https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/issues.

NixZiZ

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:47:42 PM

I really like the idea of a simple wallet with a less "techy" UI in it. Hopefully this will further adoption of bitcoin and other crypto.

I just don't use a mac anymore... lol
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:51:52 PM

Great. You could try asking an admin to create a Hive subforum here, to avoid collapsing everything into this single thread.
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 04:01:27 PM

I'm hoping for an android app, an android app with this sort of functionality would be great.
vetranger2001

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:43:15 AM

That's awesome  Grin  Just what i'm looking for...

Congrat  Wink
mdotstrange

Activity: 33

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 01:13:12 AM

Awesome client! Thank you and nice work  Cheesy
hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 06:24:52 AM

Great. You could try asking an admin to create a Hive subforum here, to avoid collapsing everything into this single thread.

That's not a bad idea. Hopefully the admin in question is not Theymos though, because he took almost 2 months to change our username to "hivewallet" with quite a number of reminders. Smiley

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 06:59:09 AM

That's not a bad idea. Hopefully the admin in question is not Theymos though, because he took almost 2 months to change our username to "hivewallet" with quite a number of reminders. Smiley

Yes only theymos can add subforums

Global moderators should be able to aswell, I think. Unfortunately I dont think that he is going to create a sub-forum for a piece of software. Maybe for an altcoin or country, but not for a software. :/

hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 11:58:21 AM

Global moderators should be able to aswell, I think. Unfortunately I dont think that he is going to create a sub-forum for a piece of software. Maybe for an altcoin or country, but not for a software. :/

There are already subforums for most major wallets.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 06:26:21 PM

Really? I have never seen it. Where are they located?

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 06:37:39 PM

Really? I have never seen it. Where are they located?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0

KK thanks. I didnt even know that existed. Maybe you should wait until your out of BETA?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: