Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:52:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Source Replenishment Question  (Read 552 times)
Vod (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2018, 05:32:58 AM
Merited by botany (4)

As a merit source I would like clarification of "Merit spent from your source will come back in 30 days."

I sent 15 merit on Jan 24 - I didn't receive any merit on Feb 24.   In fact, I haven't received any source merit at all.   Undecided

I hope he is working on the system and that merit comes back 30+- days after it's spent, so an active giver like myself can have a constant supply.

Don't give it to me all in one mblob (merit blob) each day of the month.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 08:46:08 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2018, 09:16:52 AM by theymos

30 days ago was Jan 30. Since Jan 30 you've sent 391 sMerit. Your merit source is 300. So you're out of source merit and are spending your own sMerit.

Also, I just realized that spending your own sMerit also counts against your source for the following 30 days. That's a bug, but I'm probably going to have to completely rewrite the sMerit-calculation algorithm to fix it...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Vod (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 06:39:20 AM

I spent 15 source merit on Jan 24
I spent 21 source merit on Jan 25
etc

I would expect within one or two days of Feb 24, my source merit would be replaced by 15.  Feb 25, I would get 21 source merit back. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 02:06:22 PM

Where are my new sMerits for this month? I was starting to like torturing people, like asking for LN tutorial just for 7 merits. I was appointed as a source on 29 Jan. I was going to update this thread with a new task and reward. that reward is now showing 0 for both my own merits and source merits.

Note, I gave you my last 3 sMerits, now I hope that you feel that you owe me something. (not really, I was looking for this thread, I had to find it from your post history pages. your post was merit worthy). I wish there was something more for me to help you with.

🖤😏
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:35:05 PM

I was wondering if/when spendable merit got replenished. I have spent some of mine but haven't noticed any more added. Is there a good thread that explains the whole merit system? I tried to search for it, but didn't turn up anything--this thread was the closest.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10148

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:54:12 PM
Merited by wiser (5)

I was wondering if/when spendable merit got replenished. I have spent some of mine but haven't noticed any more added. Is there a good thread that explains the whole merit system? I tried to search for it, but didn't turn up anything--this thread was the closest.

There are a lot of merit threads, but this one is where theymos introduced merits, and I suppose is the main starting point merit thread.

Regarding replenishing of spendable merits, the basic answer is that you only get more spendable merits by receiving merits from other members (at a rate of half a smerit for every merit received from another member) - unless you happen to have been designated as a merit source.   So far, theymos has only designated 80 merit sources, and you can see that here.

Theymos did state a plan to increase members who are designated as merit sources, such as 100s of merit source designees in the future, yet it remains unclear what kind of specific merit source target number he has in mind or the exact timeline for such, but I would think likely under 1,000 merit source designees in the coming year or so based on what he has already stated on the topic, but that is largely inferential speculation on my part.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 11:04:28 PM

There are a lot of merit threads, but this one is where theymos introduced merits, and I suppose is the main starting point merit thread.

Regarding replenishing of spendable merits, the basic answer is that you only get more spendable merits by receiving merits from other members (at a rate of half a smerit for every merit received from another member) - unless you happen to have been designated as a merit source.   So far, theymos has only designated 80 merit sources, and you can see that here.

Theymos did state a plan to increase members who are designated as merit sources, such as 100s of merit source designees in the future, yet it remains unclear what kind of specific merit source target number he has in mind or the exact timeline for such, but I would think likely under 1,000 merit source designees in the coming year or so based on what he has already stated on the topic, but that is largely inferential speculation on my part.

OK, so what I'm hearing is that for now at least, once you spend the smerit, it's gone forever. I'm not expecting to get much in the way of merit from others mainly because the people I mostly interact with here were all here before the merit system got implemented and we're just not used to it yet. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks...

I'll enjoy giving it out, and then when it's gone I won't worry about it too much.

Thanks for the link to the original merit thread. I'll take a peek there too.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 11:12:31 PM

Isn't this thread about merit sources, and not about sMerit. We all understand the mechanism of sMerits.

As I understand it, merit sources receive awardable merits regardless of the merits they receive for their posting ( which gain extra sMerits ).

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 11:51:37 PM

Isn't this thread about merit sources, and not about sMerit. We all understand the mechanism of sMerits.

As I understand it, merit sources receive awardable merits regardless of the merits they receive for their posting ( which gain extra sMerits ).

True, and sorry, not trying to hijack it. It was just the thread I found when I searched for information on the merit system in general. Thanks to JayJuanGee here I was able to find the original thread and learn all about it. I'll give him some merit for that Smiley
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 12:32:22 AM

OK, so what I'm hearing is that for now at least, once you spend the smerit, it's gone forever. I'm not expecting to get much in the way of merit from others mainly because the people I mostly interact with here were all here before the merit system got implemented and we're just not used to it yet. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks...

I'll enjoy giving it out, and then when it's gone I won't worry about it too much.

Thanks for the link to the original merit thread. I'll take a peek there too.

In order NOT to go too deeply into discussion of the merit system rather than source replenishment question(s), I responded to your above post in the other thread.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 12:08:16 AM
Merited by Vod (2)

As a merit source I would like clarification of "Merit spent from your source will come back in 30 days."

I sent 15 merit on Jan 24 - I didn't receive any merit on Feb 24.   In fact, I haven't received any source merit at all.   Undecided

I hope he is working on the system and that merit comes back 30+- days after it's spent, so an active giver like myself can have a constant supply.

Don't give it to me all in one mblob (merit blob) each day of the month.

It appears that theymos did not forget about the issue regarding the algorithm of how merit sources were being replenished, and perhaps sometimes the exact solution or fix about how the algorithm should be re-written is not immediately apparent. 

Below is a recent update from theymos that was sent by PM:

>>>>>>>>>>>(This message is being sent to most merit sources.)
Previously, you may have noticed that there was a bug in the algorithm which calculated your source merit, causing your source merit to replenish less than intended. The algorithm has now been adjusted to hopefully fix this. As a side-effect, your non-source sMerit may also have changed.

The intended behavior is that if you send x source merit, then you'll get x source merit back 30 days after that send. (Not in a monthly lump.)

Let me know if you still see any anomalies.<<<<<<<

From my reading, whatever change that theymos made to the source merit replenishment algorithm seems to be intended to get closer to the aspirations of the OP (Vod) of this thread.

digaran
Copper Member

🖤😏

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 12:36:40 AM

Yeah I got that PM as well totally by accident, I opened my merit page and now I have 56+1 more sMerits to distribute, I'm posting here to let you know that I'm not a source again, don't panic if you see me meriting posts again. yeah I even asked him if it's possible to become a source again? he said no way in hell I could make you a source again you scammer. Wink

In red: total lie.

🖤😏
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 01:01:08 AM

Yeah I got that PM as well totally by accident, I opened my merit page and now I have 56+1 more sMerits to distribute, I'm posting here to let you know that I'm not a source again, don't panic if you see me meriting posts again. yeah I even asked him if it's possible to become a source again? he said no way in hell I could make you a source again you scammer. Wink

In red: total lie.

Hahahahahaha

I gotta appreciate some aspect of your humor in the above post, digaran....  Cheesy

It seems that you received the 56 or is it 57 smerits because you likely had spent from your regular smerits during a period in which the source merits were not adequately replenishing... that is my tentative speculation about how come you received that quantity of smerits at this later date, even while your source merit status has not been resurrected.

digaran
Copper Member

🖤😏

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 01:55:22 AM

Hahahahahaha

Yeah man, I was on top enjoying to be a source and once I stepped down they started to tag me left, right and center, looks like people around here have this habit to bully the weak.
I wonder if theymos is going to take my 56 sMerits away since he forgot to exclude me from receiving the PM? doesn't matter though I have already spent a few of them. Wink now I'm actually going to be more active on different boards and spend my sMerits.

🖤😏
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 02:28:57 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

perhaps sometimes the exact solution or fix about how the algorithm should be re-written is not immediately apparent. 

The algorithm is somewhat complicated, since one of my goals was to make it as stateless as possible. There are no explicit periodic allocations of source merit in the database, for example. So even though I had several concrete examples of the bugs in my algorithm, I was finding it difficult to fix. The current corrected algorithm was actually designed by Slickage (who are working on the next-generation forum software). I'm not sure if it's public yet, but the JavaScript version of the algorithm will eventually be on the public repo.

you likely had spent from your regular smerits during a period in which the source merits were not adequately replenishing...

Right.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2018, 07:39:42 AM

Thanks for the update, the merit system just gets better and better.

Now I've got to hunt for some decent posts. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: