Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:03:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody who has not seen this movie should watch it tonight!  (Read 2513 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:30:33 AM

I am currently watching "Inside Job" by Matt Damon I think is the main narrator... it's perfect fodder for the bitcoin community!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jakemates

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

firstbits.com/1c3qpa

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 06:43:05 AM

Fantastic movie; been on a documentary binge lately. Unrelated to Bitcoin, but if you like documentaries you might like This Film is Not Yet Rated.
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:54:45 AM

Fantastic movie; been on a documentary binge lately. Unrelated to Bitcoin, but if you like documentaries you might like This Film is Not Yet Rated.

Hey hey jakemates, the former css moderator for a few days at r/bitcoin, is that you?

I will check that one out as well thanks, I have heard a few references to it already so it's high time!
fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 07:54:15 AM

I've been on a documentary binge since the reddit post about the best ones  Grin

Most of them are so depressing though  Undecided

TheGer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 02:52:48 PM

Watch Endgame and wake up to the World.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 03:39:29 PM

I am currently watching "Inside Job" by Matt Damon I think is the main narrator... it's perfect fodder for the bitcoin community!

I heard it was just a bunch of BS about how we need more regulations because the ones that got us into that mess weren't enough and capitalism is based on greed, blah, blah. Is that an accurate description?
TheGer

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:52:35 AM

Reminds of Banks demanding Bailouts.

"The Bailouts made things worse", "Give us more Bailouts to fix the problem!".

The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:37:54 AM

I heard it was just a bunch of BS about how we need more regulations because the ones that got us into that mess weren't enough and capitalism is based on greed, blah, blah. Is that an accurate description?

Pretty much.  I turned it off part of the way through because it was irritating me.  The premise I got from it was that the economic crises was caused by deregulation of the banks (they used Iceland as the beginning example).  Deregulation of the banks, is of course, equivalent to free market policies, therefore, free markets and capitalism are bad and more government oversight is needed.  I should probably finish the rest of it to be fair, but I don't really want to waste my time.

government sponsored oligarchies != the free market

nostrum

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 01:44:47 PM

Pretty much.  I turned it off part of the way through because it was irritating me.  The premise I got from it was that the economic crises was caused by deregulation of the banks (they used Iceland as the beginning example).  Deregulation of the banks, is of course, equivalent to free market policies, therefore, free markets and capitalism are bad and more government oversight is needed.  I should probably finish the rest of it to be fair, but I don't really want to waste my time.

Exactly what is it that causes the emotional reaction you are describing?
The claim that the economic crisis was caused by deregulation (or not enough regulations) of the banks?

If you always think in categories you will miss the bigger picture.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Public GPG: 04351826
Anonymous

July 29, 2011, 02:05:31 PM

Deregulation certainly was the driving force behind the Iceland collapse...
The Script

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:20:13 AM

Exactly what is it that causes the emotional reaction you are describing?
The claim that the economic crisis was caused by deregulation (or not enough regulations) of the banks?

Yes, the deregulation caused the problem.  The solution is not more regulation, though, but rather abolishing the monopoly on money.  Let banks run competing currencies, or least put the United States back on the gold standard. 
TheGer

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:24:55 AM

Yes lets let the Banks do things the way they want.  It's not like they caused the financial nightmare going on around the world.

Move along, nothing to see here...
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:35:11 AM

least put the United States back on the gold standard.

lol

know why we went off?

know why no one is still on? even more libertarianesc countries?

so you would confiscate gold again? you know we werent allowed to own gold back then. How much gold has ever been mined?

are you sure you are for a gold standard or just against fiat currency?

mooo for rent
The Script

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:55:48 AM

Yes lets let the Banks do things the way they want.  It's not like they caused the financial nightmare going on around the world.

Move along, nothing to see here...

They already do things they way they want.  The problem is, no one is allowed to compete with them.  So what are you saying?
The Script

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:57:18 AM

least put the United States back on the gold standard.

lol

know why we went off?

know why no one is still on? even more libertarianesc countries?

so you would confiscate gold again? you know we werent allowed to own gold back then. How much gold has ever been mined?

are you sure you are for a gold standard or just against fiat currency?

Because bankers like to print and loan more money than they actually have in reserve? 
TheGer

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 02:02:23 AM

^^ This

If a country is on the Gold Standard you can't just print money out of thin air like they do now.  there wouldn't be enough Gold to go around.  They had to get rid of it to pave the way for Banks to print money for nothing, loan it out, and get real assets back in return(wether it be real Dollars or confiscated assets via forclosures and other scams - See the Great Greek Island Giveaway).
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 04:03:10 AM

See, this is what you get for believing state-approved history books.

The gold was confiscated after the switch to fiat started

Gold standard means that the bills are exchangeable for gold.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
The Script

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 05:50:44 AM

^^ This

If a country is on the Gold Standard you can't just print money out of thin air like they do now.  there wouldn't be enough Gold to go around.  They had to get rid of it to pave the way for Banks to print money for nothing, loan it out, and get real assets back in return(wether it be real Dollars or confiscated assets via forclosures and other scams - See the Great Greek Island Giveaway).

Yes, this is why gold based currencies have historically been very stable. 
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 09:16:22 AM

^^ This

...and also owned by a select handful of individuals and organizations, effectively making it useless as a circulating currency not only because of lack of availability, but extreme expense of even the smallest gold piece. The same people that created this problem own all the gold.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 09:38:14 AM

^^ This

...and also owned by a select handful of individuals and organizations, effectively making it useless as a circulating currency not only because of lack of availability, but extreme expense of even the smallest gold piece. The same people that created this problem own all the gold.

Which is why silver and copper were used, as well.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: